What type of cloth (or brush?) are you using to clean the dashboard?

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
See title. I assumed everyone just used microfiber cloth for this, but the last time I tried it, it seems liked the "texture" on the dashboard would catch and I ended up with a lot of little tiny microfiber "hairs" all over it. I probably wasn't using top end cloth, but it wasn't bargain bin either.

Next time, I tried using a cheap shop rag (stupid idea, I know) which instead left red fuzz all over :doh:

Has anyone else had this issue?

For cleaner, I'm using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4PB8IY/
Advertisement

RenRed2

Reaction score
Car(s)
21-Red 2.0 18-440iXdrive
See title. I assumed everyone just used microfiber cloth for this, but the last time I tried it, it seems liked the "texture" on the dashboard would catch and I ended up with a lot of little tiny microfiber "hairs" all over it. I probably wasn't using top end cloth, but it wasn't bargain bin either.

Next time, I tried using a cheap shop rag (stupid idea, I know) which instead left red fuzz all over :doh:

Has anyone else had this issue?

For cleaner, I'm using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4PB8IY/
I never touch the top of the dash. I lightly dust it or vacuum it off. Never an issue overall

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I just use a microfiber cloth and some Maguires interior detail. Never had the issue you're describing.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
I use a microfiber with:

Screenshot_20211121-230458_Amazon Shopping.jpg

sojusoulja

Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 BB NSX, 2003 GPW S2000
I use microfiber and aerospace 303. None of that sticky residue. Just cleans it and UV protection. Never had any issues.
Likewise. Been using 303 and microfiber for my dash on all of my previous cars. No greasy or Shiney residue.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Aerospace 303 + microfiber all day.

OP
OP
nosavingthrow

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Thanks for all the replies - I'll give this another try with fresh microfiber towels, and otherwise just stick to using a swiffer if its only a bit dusty. I think the towels I used before may have been bad as it sounds like no one else has had the "shedding" issue.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Thanks for all the replies - I'll give this another try with fresh microfiber towels, and otherwise just stick to using a swiffer if its only a bit dusty. I think the towels I used before may have been bad as it sounds like no one else has had the "shedding" issue.
It's also possible that depending on the methods of care taken to clean your microfiber, it's just the cloth itself that's the problem. I've seen recommendations of not drying them in the dryer or with other types of towels so you don't compromise the fibers and/or get lint from poorer quality towels stuck in it. I hand wash and hang dry now for the microfiber that I want to keep fresh.

OP
OP
nosavingthrow

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It's also possible that depending on the methods of care taken to clean your microfiber, it's just the cloth itself that's the problem. I've seen recommendations of not drying them in the dryer or with other types of towels so you don't compromise the fibers and/or get lint from poorer quality towels stuck in it. I hand wash and hang dry now for the microfiber that I want to keep fresh.
This is totally possible, as I hadn't learned about proper washing techniques for microfiber until recently. I've since bought new batches and always wash them separate on cold / air dry. I don't recall if I had the old or new towels since I had this issue.

hamajang

Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 premium (ordered)

If by fresh you're referring to a brand new microfiber, wash it first. Otherwise, you might end up back at square 1 with a lint issue.

Advertisement

Advertisement