Who gets lip for buying a Supra?

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Only happens online. In person the ā€œBMWā€ thing is brought up a bit but for the most part people kiss up when they see it. A lot of ā€œCan I get a ride?ā€ and ā€œIā€™m waiting for them to be cheaper than 30kā€ responses ?

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
This car souped up makes people shut up. Stock is great but once the engine is woken up its a monster it's like a Rollercoaster for unbeknownst rookies and veterans alike. Make em shit themselves in the twisties and put em in their seat on the exits...hahaha!!!

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
I got crap from my GF because I told her I was going to sell my other car to buy the Supra, but the Supra came in before I got the other sold. Long story I still have the other carā€¦

Iā€™ll get it sold her shortlyā€¦

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I don't think I've ever gotten flack for my cars. But I don't hear things often because I'm munching on something and the crackling of chips in my mouth makes everything sound good.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Fake vent flack is what I get all the time. I agree though with the fake vent criticism and it was a drawback for me making a purchase....but you can't see them behind the wheel. I take the opportunity to tell them how great it drives.

I get the BMW comments too...but I tell them I've always wanted a Z3 M coupe...soo I basically have the 2021 version and it's great!

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Fake vent flack is what I get all the time. I agree though with the fake vent criticism and it was a drawback for me making a purchase....but you can't see them behind the wheel. I take the opportunity to tell them how great it drives.

I get the BMW comments too...but I tell them I've always wanted a Z3 M coupe...soo I basically have the 2021 version and it's great!
I love idiots who repeat pathetic and easily made critiques from the hack automotive press. The press is overtly in bed with the makers overall. The press walk a fine but well defined line of what they can and cannot say to avoid subtle effective pressure from the makers.

Wow something is fake on a car that is not a REAL or ACTUAL race car. Its called aesthetic and MARKETING. The only actual question that matter is how DO YOU like the car for YOU. Fake vents are likey style features on athletic shoes. Those features wont make you run faster at all lol. They can hopefully add an eye catching point to gain your interest.

Does it 'suck' .......sure. Does it matter when you like the car, its driving position, cockpt, superb engine and gearbox/brakes etc etc etc - NO.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Went to Auto Zone for some odds and ends and a young gentleman working there vehemently said out loud "Oh their's a bunch of BMWs parked in the parking lot." He was talking about a 335i and my Supra. The he began telling coworkers about how the new Z is going to destroy it (the Supra).

Then the dude told me I should have waited to buy the new Z. I told him that I didn't care and that I appreciate all sports cars. Then I started to let him know that some of the great sportscars in motorsport history came from collaborations. I also told him that I feel bad for people who get swept up in cult-like brand loyalty to companies who could care less if they lived or died.

He did not talk to me anymore after that.

This was the first time I was every met with vitriol concerning my car.

f22bub

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
I occasionally hear the BMW stuff but here's my unpopular opinion: BMW makes better cars than Toyota and there isn't anything Toyota could have done better. As a former BMW driver I would have never gotten the Supra if it wasn't build by BMW so it's funny when people think calling it a BMW is an insult - like wtf? I am glad its a BMW

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
Coming from the twins and rotary world this is nothing.

"Slow car" and "U should LS Swap it" this disparage is all I've heard until now. While still annoying, the BMW thing is pretty funny to me as a nice change.

Last edited:

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Went to Auto Zone for some odds and ends and a young gentleman working there vehemently said out loud "Oh their's a bunch of BMWs parked in the parking lot." He was talking about a 335i and my Supra. The he began telling coworkers about how the new Z is going to destroy it (the Supra).

Then the dude told me I should have waited to buy the new Z. I told him that I didn't care and that I appreciate all sports cars. Then I started to let him know that some of the great sportscars in motorsport history came from collaborations. I also told him that I feel bad for people who get swept up in cult-like brand loyalty to companies who could care less if they lived or died.

He did not talk to me anymore after that.

This was the first time I was every met with vitriol concerning my car.
Sad. Im sure his 87 Ford whatever will get him home tonight and he can gloat over his Ramen and spit brand beer.
I occasionally hear the BMW stuff but here's my unpopular opinion: BMW makes better cars than Toyota and there isn't anything Toyota could have done better. As a former BMW driver I would have never gotten the Supra if it wasn't build by BMW so it's funny when people think calling it a BMW is an insult - like wtf? I am glad its a BMW
Well said and true.