Why I Think Everyone is Wrong About the MKV (Video)

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Fun video to watch.

Talking about how the original Supra didn't have a lot of power and talking Chris Harris's statement about quality vs quantity of performance, while you blast off in your heavily modded Supra though... a little odd ;)

I have no doubt that Toyota has the ability to make an awesome car. It's just a question of whether or not they actually will.

My concern is that the mkV Supra won't live up to the promises made by FT1. I don't doubt they can make a good Supra successor, but frankly that very open-to-interpretation definition is wholly unimportant to me. The 86 is a great car, but I don't want to buy it. I want a Supra that resembles FT1, not just a Supra that's a great car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Fun video to watch.

Talking about how the original Supra didn't have a lot of power and talking Chris Harris's statement about quality vs quantity of performance, while you blast off in your heavily modded Supra though... a little odd ;)

I have no doubt that Toyota has the ability to make an awesome car. It's just a question of whether or not they actually will.

My concern is that the mkV Supra won't live up to the promises made by FT1. I don't doubt they can make a good Supra successor, but frankly that very open-to-interpretation definition is wholly unimportant to me. The 86 is a great car, but I don't want to buy it. I want a Supra that resembles FT1, not just a Supra that's a great car.
Yeah, unfortunately, I didn't have have a stock Supra on hand haha.

All we can do is wait and see what Toyota will deliver to us!

formsracing

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3

Took the words right out of my mouth. The performance and driving dynamics can be debated all day, but Toyota already showed their hand in January 2014. This has to live up to the FT-1 in terms of its design.

Rex Chan

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB W176 A180
Bottom line, don't compare Ferrari to Toyota (no matter how much horsepower a 2JZ can make). Ferrari has established it's self as a world class supercar maker, Toyota has not! Let's hope the FT-1 will at least be tuner friendly, and not just a face-lifted BMW with weak bearings and constant check engine lights.

Isn't it pretty much confirmed that the new Supra/FT-1 will be using the B48/B58 engines from BMW? From what I can see on the F30 (3 series) forums, these engines dyno high (wheel hp is close to rated hp), get a good bump in torque from a piggyback box (no ecu/DME tunes yet), with the most recent B58 (I6 3.0) coming out in the BMW X3 rated at 265kW/500Nm (355hp/369ft-lbs). I'm guessing you already knew all of this, but it might be news to some.

Also, hi, I'm new here. :) My background is mechanical engineering/Formula SAE, and hopefully can contribute to these forums.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
Isn't it pretty much confirmed that the new Supra/FT-1 will be using the B48/B58 engines from BMW? From what I can see on the F30 (3 series) forums, these engines dyno high (wheel hp is close to rated hp), get a good bump in torque from a piggyback box (no ecu/DME tunes yet), with the most recent B58 (I6 3.0) coming out in the BMW X3 rated at 265kW/500Nm (355hp/369ft-lbs). I'm guessing you already knew all of this, but it might be news to some.

Also, hi, I'm new here. :) My background is mechanical engineering/Formula SAE, and hopefully can contribute to these forums.
Not only has it not been confirmed, I'd find it highly unlikely that Toyota would use a BMW power plant, if only for logistical purposes.

Toyota also has a variety of current motor options to repurpose, not to mention a new motor developed for the supra can be canabolized for the Lexus line.

People like to tout the toyaburu twins as some form of credence of BMW power plant in the supra, but forget or do not know that Toyota physically owns a not insignificant portion of Subaru.
Nearly a controlling interest, actually.
But that's moot compared to the physical locations of one another and the logistical ease, thus supply ease of both the partnerships benifitted from the 86/BRZ project.

This is not the case with BMW, rather it's a mutual beneficial partnership.

But hey, if that was the case we'd have a Toyota Cayman ( yes that's right is was Toyota to thank for the PORSCHE)

Last edited:

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Not only has it not been confirmed, I'd find it highly unlikely that Toyota would use a BMW power plant, if only for logistical purposes.
What kind of logistics are you referring to? If they don't use BMW engines, that means shipping engines from Japan to Austria. Not that they can't do that, but logistically it seems to make more sense to just drop in whatever BMW wants to ship up there for the Z4.

Stanri010

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS300
you make it sound like there's not a single part that's going to be shipped from Japan to Austria. Of course they're going to ship parts from Japan to Magna steyr. An engine is just one of the possible pieces that's going to be shipped. ;)

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
you make it sound like there's not a single part that's going to be shipped from Japan to Austria. Of course they're going to ship parts from Japan to Magna steyr. An engine is just one of the possible pieces that's going to be shipped. ;)
Again, not saying they're not.... but "for logistical purposes" as Haros put it, doesn't seem like a good explanation for why they would opt to ship engines from Japan.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't it pretty much confirmed that the new Supra/FT-1 will be using the B48/B58 engines from BMW?

First and foremost, welcome to the forums!

There has been no confirmation of anything for the FT-1 prototype....not the engine, transmission, name, wheelbase, branding, etc... Nothing has been confirmed. Just because Toyota re-patented the Supra name doesn't mean they will call the FT-1 a Supra (personally, I hope they don't if it will be a BMW mold). Having high horsepower numbers from a motor doesn't mean the motor will be of great quality. BMW motors (especially the M motors) are notorious for having major design flaws that in today's age of engineering should not be acceptable. To think those types of motors will be placed in a potential "Supra" halo car is sacrilegious! Toyota needs to be super careful with this one....not that they are wreck-less in R&D, but this car will basically make way for future Toyota sports cars.

I am hoping Toyota brands the car as a "Toyota 3000GT" :rolleyes:....because that was originally what the Supra was going to be called before Mitsubishi took the name and would pay homage to the 2000GT. It would suit the car if it ends up having a 3.0 six. An ideal drive-train would be that in the Lexus LS500's 3.5TT....maybe with a 3.0 displacement instead of a 3.5 to thicken the cylinder walls. October is around the corner, keeping my fingers crossed that this car won't be a disappointment.

Last edited:

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's