Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra & Talk about your excitement level

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by vb22, Jun 8, 2017.

?

What should the new Supra be?

1. A 100k+ GT-R and NSX competitor

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. A $50k-$60k Corvette and Cayman competitor

79 vote(s)
    59.8%
  3. A bit of both. Entry level TT-V6 for C7 & a TT-V6 hybrid model that will go NSX & GT-R hunting!

18 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. I just hope it isn't a 300hp 40k Z competitor

22 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. BrettS

BrettS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2011 gti
    Liked:
    The aftermarket really made the r35 what it is today. In stock form it’s outdated and many of its competitors are beating it. These minor tweaks/refreshes they keep doing are not enough to keep it competitive.

A70TTR, PerformanceSound and bogglo like this.
  2. PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Runs with Bugatti's stock....beats them with bolt-on's. When the LCF comes out, the R36 won't be too far behind for it's debut....and once again, put super and hyper cars to shame. I know there are people who don't like the GTR because it's fat, or ugly (their opinion), etc... However, credit should be given where deserved. It really is the everyday man's super car. Great bang for the buck, and brings with it an un-tainted heritage. We can't say that much for anything Toyota offers right now or possibly in the future.

They haven't had a need to change it much....since it's inception, the head engineer said Nissan would gradually update the car (interior, exterior, etc...) but nothing dramatic. I agree with him. The last thing I would ever want is to buy a $100k GTR and two years later, they revamp it completely. I understand series or generation changes, but not same generation with drastic changes....Nissan actually cares about it's enthusiasts believe it or not.

boodjohn likes this.
  3. RyanGT3RS

RyanGT3RS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
    Liked:
    I don’t know the numbers on the Bugatti but which one? Stock for stock? Chiron? Modded, no doubt but then again it’s “faster” than majority of the cars like pagani, Ferrari, lambos, Porsche’s, etc.... personally, I don’t care about 1000 hp cars, I’ll take a cayman gt4 over a GTR any day, and I’ll take a AMG GTR, which I’ve driven and almost bought, over the Nismo GTR. Not saying it’s isn’t a great car, cause it is, but to me, I don’t find it “fun” in terms of driving and enjoyment. Again it’s all my own experience and opinion. Great that we get to have choices and Nissan still builds this car and hopefully continue to do so.

4. Supraman

Supraman Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    s2000 / Xterra Pro-4X
    Liked:
    #1129 Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    I ran into this car talk video regarding the new Supra. It's a little lengthy but they have a few interesting points especially when talking price at the 5:30+ mark.

PerformanceSound likes this.
  5. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I was watching this a few days ago as well. The trend (as expected) with all these videos, is that the MKV Supra is not bringing on the excitement that most (if not everyone) thought it would. The shelf life of the MKV will only be a few years and not because sportscars are not popular anymore, but because it’s not a real Supra.

adprokid likes this.
  6. Rotaryrunner

Rotaryrunner Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Mazda RX 8
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    AMG GTR's, Viper's, Porsche's and so on.... some of you guys seem to have money like the lokal farmer has hay in his barn.

Why do you even care about the new supra when you can afford all these cars?

Galerion and McWicked like this.
  7. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #1132 Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    You still don't get it do you....It's because names like the Supra and GTR and many others had raised the bar during our generation when we could not afford them. To see the Supra name come back, yet in a sad sad way makes me (and many others im sure) very angry at Toyota. I care because it's the end for what was a LEGEND in automotive industry. People can preach all they want about "it's a different generation now, or it's a different culture now...", I say that's a load of crap. Everyone was expecting a different car from Toyota, and simply put...they did not deliver.

I am not a millionaire, I work like everyone else....pay a mortgage like everyone else, save money like everyone else. The difference between me and the other guy is not how much we make to "afford" a GTR....it's how much does a GTR mean to me that I would sacrifice more money to get one. There are 23 year-old's on YouTube living in their parents basements on a $40k a year salary who own Lamborghini's and GTR's and etc... They are car enthusiasts who know what they want, and will do whatever it takes to get that. They don't just "settle" for a rebadged car! I don't know your age group, or what your experience has been with Supra's....but if you knew anything about the previous generation Supra's, you would not be shopping or interested in the upcoming MKV...or asking these questions. The new car is NOT a Supra! Please understand this and don't be offended by what I am saying.

A70TTR and RyanGT3RS like this.
  8. RyanGT3RS

RyanGT3RS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
    Liked:
    Lol. Simple, I love cars and have been since I was a little kid like a lot of others, I am sure. Grew up in the 90’s when the JDM scene was coming a long. Remember buying a integra gsr new and dumping so much money into it. Went off to college, worked hard. That’s on top of a family and kids, lol, which obviously comes first.

Zupra, Supra21 and PerformanceSound like this.
  9. tfoxyr

tfoxyr Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    suzuki swift sport
    Liked:
    right now indeed it seems that the mkv will not be special like the last gen. The last supra could compete with many cars well above its price ( 2-3 times the price) while this car could be a great car but it seems is only competing with cars in its local neighbourhood , that means it will be competing with 350z , mustang v8 , ford focus rs , jaguar f type, cayman 4 cyl and alpine a110 . For me even if it is 50k is a lot of money , i could afford it, but still it must be something really special to greenlight it. If i wanted something that is 2 seater 50k and very very light i could get the alpine , in europe they are not so expensive . I am waiting though because maybe when i test drive it , it will blow me away.

A70TTR and PerformanceSound like this.
  10. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Exactly! Personally, I believe if Toyota had made a real Supra (in-house) and sold it for more, it would have been accepted much much better today. People would have paid upwards of $60k-$70k-$80k for a real successor, just like people paid (and still pay) $100k for a Nissan GTR....yes, a Nissan! Toyota wanted to gamble on low price high volume....this was never an ingredient for Supra's. They should have gone the low volume high price route...it would have been much better overall in my opinion.

JP_Supra and tfoxyr like this.
  11. JP_Supra

JP_Supra Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    Supra MKV
    Liked:
    Hopefully the GR Supra will be more of a genuine toyota product. If not then R35 it is :dunno:

12. tarpatel

tarpatel Member

Car(s):
    my mom's camry
    Liked:
    @PerformanceSound, did you ever figure out or has anyone answered your calls for who the "target audience" is for the MKV ?

13. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #1138 Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Yes, hairdressers....:rofl:

The same audience that's interested in; Mini Coopers, Audi TT's, S2000's (I know, but it is), Miata's, and Boxters/Cayman's. I don't even consider the tiny MKV a 370Z, Mustang, Camaro, etc... competitor. Forget the performance aspect of it, the fact that it's a Japanese-badged German car that isn't a real Toyota car is enough to put it in it's own unwanted box and make it a non-competitor to the previously mentioned cars.

14. Modal170

Modal170 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    I'm always a defender but again, making some of these old guys who love numbers and want to maximize revenue likely never driven a fun sports car in their life. Perhaps moving forward after driving these vehicles, the execs starts to wonder at Toyota, not Lexus, Hm, this is fun, how much money can we spend to make one of our own? If this turns out successful, they can go and okay the project without worrying about the money because there's a business case for the first gen. I'm not going to pretend the car is anything else other than BMW supplied parts. How it drives is soemthing we'll see as we get closer.

Hopefully, the second gen will be toyota housed or more control from toyota, but just giving a perspective on the matter. Much like Jeremy Clarkson detested Porsche until recently with one car after many efforts, perhaps the big wigs at Toyota can come around and be content to come together and make something special because they believe in it whole heartedly it will sell AND put smiles on the enthusiasts. MR2/Celica housed car anyone? :)

PerformanceSound likes this.
  15. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    YES! Thank you! When or if Toyota ever decides to build the car in-house, we can then circle back to this discussion....however, as it stands or what we see today....this is not a Supra.

adprokid likes this.