Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
The car has a major engineering flaw. The suspension does not match the body.
Wow.... seriously unbelievable. I swear almost every other thread is a therapy session dealing with either chronic MKIV nostalgia or "Too high of expectations for the MKV" = facing reality. How can someone already find flaws of a product before even using it? The age of keyboard mechanics is amazing, just stop it, plz.

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
Either way, the emotions that are sturred up enough to cause someone to post on the internet helps fuel the release of the car. Like trey say, any publicity is better than no publicity.

smokie

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
05 Evo RS
Well I need to buy a car soon, and just wanted to say that it isn't a A90. Without a manual trans whats the point. I was going to let the whole B58 powerplant slide, but without a manual trans I really don't care about the car. I'm sure there will be shops and tuners that make 1000-2000 maybe 3000hp, and I respect that, but don't care about it.

For the average joe I prefer the manual and ~450-600hp range.

This is the exact reason I have no interest in the R35 GTR.

Why isn't there anybody at Toyota that saw this coming from the beginning? They gave us the FRS/86 with no turbo, then they give us a Supra with no manual or handbrake? Do they not know what "we" want?

Yes I know I'm whining but for good reason.

smokie

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
05 Evo RS
I'd like to know the average joe that wants a 600HP manual for 50K
Ok your right. Realistically 350 turbocharged is just fine. That can be tuned easily. This is mostly about not having a stout manual trans option.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Unfortunately smokie, whenever the manual Supra shows up it probably won't be within the timeframe you will be in for buying a new $50k-$60k car. That is of course assuming anyone will be able to buy a first year Supra MKV without an obscene markup.

It should show up but the earliest would be 2021 or 2022 models. And even then we currently have zero idea if it will be a series production option or an extremely limited model trim numbering in only a couple hundred or so per year... which would of course mean stupid markups all over again.

Right now all we know for sure is that the Japanese and Australian markets are getting some trim level manual Supra. Since the U.S. is their second largest market for the Supra I would still find it very difficult to believe that a manual Supra 2.0L and 3.0L will only be available for Japan and other RHD markets surrounding. Although it is unlikely that we will get the 2.0L turbo variant in the U.S. in any spec.

But if you're going to be in this price range as a buyer soon and you, like some of us, prefer only a manual automobile then your equivalent options would be the Porsche Cayman 6MT, BMW M2 Competition 6MT, BMW M4 6MT, Mustang GT350 (6MT only), Camaro SS 6MT & ZL1 6MT, a used 911 6MT or 7MT, and... hmm... I mean there is the C7 Corvette 7MT also but it's kind of big. Those would be the main suspects.

And with today's current availability of manual cars I'd say you need to look at the models that actually offer them and find one that appeals to you.

I do not fault Toyota for making the ZF 8HP a major part of the Supra's design. By all accounts it is one of the best transmissions out there. But the BMW GS6-4BZ 6-speed manual is also a great gearbox that will bolt right up to the B58 and needed to be an option from the start for potential Supra buyers who care much more about the fun and engagement it gives in Toyota's iconic and completely driver-centric sports car that is synonymous with a manual transmission.

Last edited:

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
Japanese and Australian markets are getting some trim level manual Supra. Since the U.S. is their second largest market for the Supra I would still find it very difficult to believe that a manual Supra 2.0L and 3.0L will only be available for Japan and other RHD markets surrounding. Although it is unlikely that we will get the 2.0L turbo variant in the U.S. in any spec.
Is this upon release or are you referring to later down the track? please quote your source.

RyanGT3RS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
So, after months after the cars reveal, (knowing it is auto only so far) you finally decided on not buying it since it doesnā€™t have a manual? Mmm, Ok.... lol

Blizzz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV, TRD S/C Tundra
Iā€™m actually happy about the auto. Can shift faster than I can and I can put it in any gear I want to just the same as a manual. No clutch, yep that kinda sucks, but iā€™ll take the added benefit of being able to be lazy once in a while or have someone else be able to drive it that canā€™t drive stick.