Why is my instrument cluster so dim + leather seats issue

Discussion in 'Issues, Warranty, Recalls, TSB' started by 561Supra, May 15, 2020.

1. 561Supra

561Supra Member

First Name:
    Jordan
    Car(s):
    2020 GR Supra Premium
    Liked:
    I picked up a 2020 Supra with 7 miles this week. When it’s sunny, the infotainment screen was so dark I could hardly see it. I had to pay more money on top of what I paid for my car to actually see my screen with BimmerCode. What’s the deal with this? Why hasn’t this been fixed as the car has been out for a year now.

Also, my instrument cluster in front of me is relatively dark too. Is there nowhere to adjust the brightness for that?

Another issue I’m having is the leather being loose around the passenger seat cut out trim. Should the dealer replace my seat as this is a brand new car?

2. kissmyrs

kissmyrs Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gabe
    Car(s):
    A90 Supra
    Liked:
    You need bimmercode to adjust the brightness Permanently... it removes the auto dim feature and lets you keep it at whatever level you want. Along with other cool stuff like autoshut off memory, and the fake engine sounds through speakers

ntoxicated88, akasonny and John8 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    561Supra

561Supra Member

First Name:
    Jordan
    Car(s):
    2020 GR Supra Premium
    Liked:
    But can bimmercode adjust the brightness of the cluster? I used it to fix the infotainment already.

4. kissmyrs

First Name:
    Gabe
    Car(s):
    A90 Supra
    Liked:
    Ahhh I got confused, thought thats what you meant.

5. kissmyrs

First Name:
    Gabe
    Car(s):
    A90 Supra
    Liked:
    As far As I know I dont think anyone knows where that portion of the code is

akasonny likes this.
  6. tadda

tadda Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    2020 GR Supra Premium
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Did you try adjusting the instrument cluster illumination wheel (show in pic below) to increase it's brightness?

John8 and a90moe like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    561Supra

561Supra Member

First Name:
    Jordan
    Car(s):
    2020 GR Supra Premium
    Liked:
    Yep. Maxed it out and it's still quite dull. When I hold a light up to the sensor, it'll get brighter then go right back to dull.

akasonny likes this.
  8. akasonny

akasonny Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra Premium (Downshift Blueeeew)
    Liked:
    Retired
    There are lots of additional bimmercodes 'hidden' in expert mode, however, they're either in German or they're so cryptic (referring to specific lines of code) they're un-defined. I suspect the answer(s) are in there...for the instrument cluster for sure...to deactivate the auto-dimming feature there as is already possible on the headunit. Bimmercode could really do us all a favor and further define these.

Few brave souls want to venture into the "expert mode" territory and for good reason....especially on the engine ECU. But surely one code-change in the instrument cluster wouldn't be considered dangerous. There are lots of other parameters (using the Z4 menu). Adding more to the instrument cluster wouldn't be all that difficult.

9. 2k20HTownMKV

2k20HTownMKV Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I had a small blemish on my passenger seat and pointed it out to the dealer 2 weeks after i bought my car in November. Just now got a new seat put in. The dealer went back and forth with parts to get the right seat cover, didnt think i would ever get it done but they finally fixed it. 1st seat they got in Jan was a base seat. 2nd seat was also a base, 3rd seat had imperfections and finally as of last week they got a perfect looking one and after inspecting it they installed. Also just so you are aware they need 20 clips to get the seat cover onto the seat, so make sure they get those too if they do the warranty work.

10. OP
    OP
    561Supra

561Supra Member

First Name:
    Jordan
    Car(s):
    2020 GR Supra Premium
    Liked:
    Went to the dealer today and they said there's no fix and are baffled why I think this is an issue. If the car in front of me is reflecting bright light in, the instrument cluster gets super bright. If there isn't and it's just sunny, I can HARDLY see my instrument cluster in front of me. It constantly switches from super bright to barely visible even with that darn wheel maxed out. If I hold my phone light up to the sensor, it gets bright. If I pull it away back to dark. If anyone has a fix for this please share!!!

akasonny likes this.
  11. Orcuttfox

Orcuttfox Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    2020 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    Bimmercode

12. OP
    OP
    561Supra

561Supra Member

First Name:
    Jordan
    Car(s):
    2020 GR Supra Premium
    Liked:
    Do you know what to edit then? It’s a simple fix to disable the infotainment, but I cannot find the settings to disable the auto adjusting instrument cluster.

13. Orcuttfox

Orcuttfox Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    2020 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    In this forum, go to elec,audio.....coding-pg 2. Then anyone tried coding the Supra yet-pg 3. There's a link to a YouTube video there. This change makes a big difference

14. OP
    OP
    561Supra

561Supra Member

First Name:
    Jordan
    Car(s):
    2020 GR Supra Premium
    Liked:
    That's for the infotainment, I'm talking about the instrument cluster screen behind the steering wheel.

15. Orcuttfox

Orcuttfox Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    2020 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    Oops, sorry