Status
Not open for further replies.

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
What do you guys think, is it feasible with its price point goals?
Sponsored

Nadeshot!

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My trusty Jeep
Almost every rumor about this car says that it will have carbon fiber as part of its platform / chassis and that's because of its partnership with BMW. BMW has been marketing its carbon fiber investments like crazy in last few years and they've actually been able to produce cars with full CFRP shells now so it's really likely we see the same technology on the Supra, or whatever they end up calling the FT1. And yea it's feasible, the i3 with CFRP shell costs just over 40 grand.

Ren

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Lexus IS 350
If it doesn't then I can't figure out why BMW is even in this equation.

From a Dig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tacoma
I keep reading about all this carbon fiber rumors and that's great and all but what about repairs. I thought CF couldn't be repaired and is basically totaled and needs to be replaced completely when damaged. So if a car has a CF shell that means its going to be totaled much easier?

daboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
various
Surprisingly for a concept this car doesn't have any carbon fiber (just CF wrap I think?) from what I can see except for the interior.
Hope that it'll all be under the skin where it matters. :yes:

EvoX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo
Unless they make it Miata sized, if it wants to hit the magical 3000 pound mark (imagine the press it would get) it's going to have to have a substantial amount of exotic materials like carbon fiber. With a car this size I don't think any manufacturer can make it lightweight without carbon.

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
Isn't the FT-1 concept right now under 3000? is there any actual carbon fiber on there? I know it's a concept but just curious at its current dimensions what we're looking at.

EvoX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo
Isn't the FT-1 concept right now under 3000? is there any actual carbon fiber on there? I know it's a concept but just curious at its current dimensions what we're looking at.
Where did they release weight number for the FT-1 concept?

A concept's weight is totally irrelevant anyway I would think since it's the FT-1 isn't even built on the actual platform that the road version is going to ride on.

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
Where did they release weight number for the FT-1 concept?

A concept's weight is totally irrelevant anyway I would think since it's the FT-1 isn't even built on the actual platform that the road version is going to ride on.
Sorry I think that was just the GT6 weight I was thinking of. I dont think it's TOTALLY irrelevant. If the concept weighed 4k pounds I'd be worried. I think Calty was given some rough specs (not to mention price point) to design towards.

OP
OP

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
Toyota said something about price goal with this car?
Not exactly a price goal but Calty was given the mandate to produce a car that would have a real world price tag between 50-60,000. I think that's what the prez of Calty told some media.

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Carbon fiber is not as exotic as it used to be. As long as the entire platform isn't CF it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. How about just the hood and side panels. There are many cars (including the c7) that fit that profile.

EMTer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36
Surprisingly for a concept this car doesn't have any carbon fiber (just CF wrap I think?) from what I can see except for the interior.
Hope that it'll all be under the skin where it matters. :yes:
Oh I thought there was actually carbon fiber in the body.

So Question for you guys who might be more familiar are there any Toyota cars (not including Lexus) right now that use carbon fiber?

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
Carbon fiber is not as exotic as it used to be. As long as the entire platform isn't CF it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. How about just the hood and side panels. There are many cars (including the c7) that fit that profile.
CF makes sense for hood, roof, and trunk but it'd be horrible for doors and fenders. One ding or parking accident and you're out a grip of $.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Oh I thought there was actually carbon fiber in the body.

So Question for you guys who might be more familiar are there any Toyota cars (not including Lexus) right now that use carbon fiber?
To answer your question no other Toyota or Lexus uses carbon fiber besides the LFA, but your point begs the question... why can't they just use what they have learned from the LFA?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.