Willing to pay markup?

Discussion in 'Pricing, Ordering, Negotiating' started by whozaka, Jun 18, 2019.

1. whozaka

whozaka Active Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Car(s):
    Mazda MX-5, Toyota Tacoma
    Liked:
    no judgment. I am just generally curious if any of you will pay a markup. So far the majority of dealerships plan to markup and the majority of consumers refuse to pay it.

I want to gauge how many are actually willing to pay into this to be one of the first owners?

2. Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Danny
    Car(s):
    2010 Mazda RX-8 R3 2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI
    Liked:
    I won't. I won't even pay MSRP. I generally don't buy the first model year of a new car. I wait a year, see what problems pop up, if any, then when the second model year orders open, I'll go to the dealer. If they have a leftover first model year car sitting there, they'll usually discount pretty good to sell me that instead.

3. NotSoJDM

NotSoJDM Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jordan
    Car(s):
    '04 E55 AMG | '13 BRZ Limited | '18 ZL1 1LE | '20 Supra LE
    Liked:
    Engineer
    Home Page:
    I called around until I found a dealership that agreed to sell for MSRP. I am not willing to pay over MSRP.

I can not fathom how dealers can not know virtually anything about a product they are selling you, but have the audacity to tell you if you want it, its going to cost you more than retail to get it.

Turbro and XtremeMaC like this.
  4. BobDigi5060

BobDigi5060 Active Member

Car(s):
    13' G37X, 03' G35
    Liked:
    Had a first model year 04 STi (2.5). The interior was pretty cheap and speakers we're an option (my 04 only had 4 speakers one on each door no tweeters or speakers where rear window is). The diff was better suited for off road and in 05 the diff was better suited for asphalt. Didn't come with. Laser cut key either, but I miss it very much.

I would never buy first model year again. All the little problems and annoyances are revised in the second model year and often times the manufacturer doesn't release this you can just tell when you drive both the first and second model year. This is 2019 I expect it to feel great, but I can't afford a Supra this year and if I could, well, I don't have to be the first person with one. I'd rather get thousands discounted buying at the right time of the year a year or two from now.

I hope the first few owners aren't driving like teenagers revving, donuts on dry pavement, and doing dumb ratchet things. The care is pure class let's treat it that way.

Turbro likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    whozaka

whozaka Active Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Car(s):
    Mazda MX-5, Toyota Tacoma
    Liked:
    I have talked to so many dealerships who don’t even know much about the car and keep quoting the one sold at auction for 2 million. They ensure me people will pay a premium for it

BobDigi5060 and XtremeMaC like this.
  6. LaredoHK

LaredoHK Active Member

Car(s):
    2010 Lancer Sportback
    Liked:
    I would never pay markup. I will just drive what I got if that the game they gonna play.

Turbro, BobDigi5060 and Half Vast like this.
  7. Searchneverend

Searchneverend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Camaro, Camry, Corolla, Accord, Z350, Alfa Romeo 4C
    Liked:
    I want a Supra but don't need a Supra. I have 2 other cars I can drive just perfectly fine. and they're just as fun. so no I wont be paying anything above msrp

8. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2013 FRS
    Liked:
    I'm willing to pay up to 5k over msrp, but I'm also trading my 2013 FRS, so it would end up being below msrp (that I'm paying).

Anything over that, they can suck it

9. tonyng92

tonyng92 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    E93 M3 F82 M4
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Technically you still paying over msrp because you lost equity in the trade in.

Turbro, XtremeMaC and whozaka like this.
  10. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2013 FRS
    Liked:
    I got 60k miles and almost 7 years use from a car I paid well under msrp for. I think it'll about break even. (16k for new 2013 frs)

11. SpyAgent

SpyAgent Member

First Name:
    DudeLove
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra. Lexus IS, RX, ES and 4runner
    Liked:
    I almost paid 10k over for a LE. I was going to go in and put 1k down and forfeit if i change my mind. That day I was suppose to go in and put the 1k down and be first on the list...I sprung my foot and couldn't go in. I decided to call one of the dealers in my area that I didn't call. Happens that they have no one on the list and they wouldn't charge me anything above MSRP. Everything happens for a reason. Like my foot that day.

Turbro and XtremeMaC like this.
  12. white_turbo

white_turbo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
    Liked:
    Home Page:
    Garage Profiles:
    No, never.

Turbro likes this.
  13. Turbro

Turbro Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    94 Supra TT 6 Speed, 91 180sx 5 Speed, 15 FoST, 13 FoST
    Liked:
    Never, screw dealers who do this, I’ll wait it out for sure. Maybe by then some new color options or trim options will come available

14. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Toyota 86 & Lexus RC F
    Liked:
    I called dealerships this morning outside the Houston area. All want 70k-80k for the car but none have deposits on the first, just a lot of interest. Bet once that car has sat at the showroom floor for 2 weeks they might let them go at msrp.

Turbro likes this.
  15. Octane

Octane Member

First Name:
    Jack
    Car(s):
    BMW m4
    Liked:
    My salesman just called me saying they have a Launch Edition coming in 2 weeks if I want it. He said the price is $67,375 + TTL. And "he can't budge on that".

Told him he can kick rocks.

Turbro and kona61 like this.