Wind Noise & Buffeting Fixes

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
There are many band-aid fixes people could be trying. Add roughness/randomness to the A-pillar surface, try adding trip strips/dots, try a fence/groove, etc. Basically, interrupt the smooth rounded shape that allows flow to roll off in a sheet.

Off the top of my head, some fixes to try would be:

1) cut a sawtooth pattern into the edge of some flexible material about 1/4" thick and stick it to the A-pillar (sawtooth facing forward). I have seen self-adhesive foam sheet that would work.

2) buy some self-adhesive rubber bumpers approx 1/4" high and place them along the A-pillar in a zigzag pattern, maybe one every 2" or so.

3) stick down a small piece of wood strip along the A-pillar about 1/2" high. Variations on shape/size.

Etc... Consider this experimental but with an eye towards something that would look OK when made out of the right material to be permanent.

IMG_5448.JPG

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Or, for those of you who would prefer to have a car that is not only practical in terms of being able to drive with the windows down without destroying your ear drums but also functional in the event of a zombie apocalypse, you can consider using small metal spikes along the A-pillar in place of rubber bumpers.

latest?cb=20181222121637.png

Dank Sinatra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra
Does the wind effect only happen when both windows are fully down? I usually just put the driver side window down partially and wondering if that might avoid it?

twarner776

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE, Audi A6
Does the wind effect only happen when both windows are fully down? I usually just put the driver side window down partially and wondering if that might avoid it?
Just putting down the driver window part way you will be fine. With just the driver window down all the way it's loud, but with both windows down it's unbearable.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Just putting down the driver window part way you will be fine. With just the driver window down all the way it's loud, but with both windows down it's unbearable.
Yeah, this is exactly what I've been doing and it works reasonably well.

Speed-wise (with both windows down), the noise starts at 40-ish mph and would be present all the way to 55, and then start cleaning up by the time you hit 65-70. I made a little video of it that I'll eventually put into my review video, and @ichitaka05 is making sure that Tada-San understands how frustrating it is haha.

GT-3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2018 991.2 GT3, 1996 993 GT2, 1972 911 S/T, 1973 911 RSR tribute
As pointed out we just need a vendor to produce some outward facing spoiler attachments in the corner mirror area to disrupt airflow, we have had this issue for entire 991 porsche gen cars. Advantage on 991 gen is the attachments can screw on and replace the existing covers by mirrors, supra will need double stick tape solution which wont look as oem.

https://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning-porsche-foiler-wind-diffuser

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
Yeah, this is exactly what I've been doing and it works reasonably well.

Speed-wise (with both windows down), the noise starts at 40-ish mph and would be present all the way to 55, and then start cleaning up by the time you hit 65-70. I made a little video of it that I'll eventually put into my review video, and @ichitaka05 is making sure that Tada-San understands how frustrating it is haha.
please put a link to your vid here thanks

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As pointed out we just need a vendor to produce some outward facing spoiler attachments in the corner mirror area to disrupt airflow, we have had this issue for entire 991 porsche gen cars. Advantage on 991 gen is the attachments can screw on and replace the existing covers by mirrors, supra will need double stick tape solution which wont look as oem.

https://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning-porsche-foiler-wind-diffuser
i am not sure if that would help tho..it looks like the issue comes from A pillar. however, it might help a litle bit

GT-3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2018 991.2 GT3, 1996 993 GT2, 1972 911 S/T, 1973 911 RSR tribute
i am not sure if that would help tho..it looks like the issue comes from A pillar. however, it might help a litle bit

I think it has enough of effect on airflow to substantially reduce the effect. I don't have pics as I'm traveling now but I experimented with cardboard cutouts modified to deflect airstream I used on track with an old 991 before various companies produced more permanent solutions. It reduced the buffeting on Supra and its not perfect but it works and not 100% gone (its only cardboard with lots of give) but worlds better than it is with nothing. I might try to order some other 991 solutions that are double stick tape applied and do more testing.......problem is they all look hideous on Supra mirror corners but better than my cardboard Frankenstein prototypes!

These are double stick tape applied, might buy and fabricate them down to customize for Supra

https://soulpp.com/product/blackmill-performance-anti-wind-buffeting-aero-kit/?utm_source=TPA On Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Top Placement Ads Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&product_id=1837&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzb2Z8aah5AIVhp6fCh2-egV9EAkYAyABEgKhc_D_BwE

Last edited:

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
just need to half close the passenger side 70-80% and you are good to go

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
I could draw up something quickly and have it made at work to try out. It's definitely really bad between 40-55mph with both windows down.