Winter storage procedures / Are you storing Supra for winter?

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
Hey, I know it's too early for winter and dread the day I have to put my Supra away. What is the right procedure to store your Supra over the winter season?

I will be covering mine with a car cover in my garage but what else do I need to do? Do I put it on jacks and remove the wheels to avoid flat spots and flood the engine with oil? Any suggestions? What are you doing with your Supra during the winter season?
Sponsored

Vaevictum

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Corolla
Hey, I know it's too early for winter and dread the day I have to put my Supra away. What is the right procedure to store your Supra over the winter season?

I will be covering mine with a car cover in my garage but what else do I need to do? Do I put it on jacks and remove the wheels to avoid flat spots and flood the engine with oil? Any suggestions? What are you doing with your Supra during the winter season?
I start my car up at least once a week during winter storage and air up the tires as another user has said. I'll also roll the car slowly back and forth a little bit just to keep everything oiled/engaged/moving during the storage timeframe. If anyone has any tips or tricks for winter storage, please let me know! I always worry about the car sitting for too long.

OP
OP
RRKnight

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
How long? For a modern car stored under 3-5 months, I'd hook up a battery maintainer and air up the tires to a higher storage pressure. No need to make it more complex than that.
The car will probably be stored for at least 6 months.

OP
OP
RRKnight

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
Does anyone know if Toyota makes a cover for the car?
I already asked and they said nothing yet but any generic car cover will work. I'm still looking for one.

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Tacoma SR 4X4 V6, '20 Terrain SLE, '11 370Z Sport, '9 Eclipse GS, 8 Corvette Z06
I wouldn't put a car cover on the car. A car cover prevents moisture to evaporate regardless of the claim that it's "breathable".

I store multiple number of cars over the last 15 years, mostly Corvettes. The two things that I do consistently is to top off the fuel tank in order to minimize air space which in turn minimizes condensate and to hook up a float charger (not a trickle charger) to the battery (no need to remove the battery from the car).

Additionally, I put higher air pressure in the tires to compensate for temperature fluctuation and to minimize flat spot and I leave the hood open (when the space allows) in order to prevent creating an enclosed and "safe" environment for a small mammal to create a den.

If you want to feel even better, wash and wax the car; dust, dirt, and grim don't scratch and mar the paint finish when left untouched.

Bruins71

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Highlander,Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
I am storing my baby from Halloween to April 1 (southern Ontario) In a climate control place 15 degrees -trickle charge every two weeks with dust cover tire air pressure up 3-5 pnds and full access to car -24 video monitoring.
I plane to move it a bit every to weeks .
The place I booked keeps Vetts lambos and Ferrari's and classic and that's what they recommend .

OP
OP
RRKnight

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
I am storing my baby from Halloween to April 1 (southern Ontario) In a climate control place 15 degrees -trickle charge every two weeks with dust cover tire air pressure up 3-5 pnds and full access to car -24 video monitoring.
I plane to move it a bit every to weeks .
The place I booked keeps Vetts lambos and Ferrari's and classic and that's what they recommend .
How much will that cost you monthly?

OP
OP
RRKnight

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
I wouldn't put a car cover on the car. A car cover prevents moisture to evaporate regardless of the claim that it's "breathable".

I store multiple number of cars over the last 15 years, mostly Corvettes. The two things that I do consistently is to top off the fuel tank in order to minimize air space which in turn minimizes condensate and to hook up a float charger (not a trickle charger) to the battery (no need to remove the battery from the car).

Additionally, I put higher air pressure in the tires to compensate for temperature fluctuation and to minimize flat spot and I leave the hood open (when the space allows) in order to prevent creating an enclosed and "safe" environment for a small mammal to create a den.

If you want to feel even better, wash and wax the car; dust, dirt, and grim don't scratch and mar the paint finish when left untouched.
That's a good idea with the hood. I remember a rabbit made a nest in my Subaru engine bay and chewed up my windshield washer hose.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
^ yep, beat me to it. there are three covers available: generic Toyota, GR limited A90 edition, and GR limited black with GR logo.

Japan only for the latter and I assume the first as well (for now).

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
When hooking up a float charger should I connect it to the posts in the engine bay or should I hook it up to the actual battery in the trunk.

Reactions: CJ-

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
Put a battery maintainer on it, you can find one at Canadian tire.
No need for a car cover unless it’s going in a barn. They do more harm then good.

You won’t need to turn it over if you have your battery hooked up. The point of it is to splash oil and keep fluid film lubrication to prevent seizure, something older cars had a problem with. Not a car in the last 15-20 years will have a problem with only 6 months on just boundry film lubrication.

You should check your tire pressure periodically, there will be no “flat” spots unless you drive with no air in the tires. Just make sure the air is at or above optimal for storage.

I highly recommend fuel stabilizer for storage. Fuel loses octane and potency with storage. Stabilizer helps prevent this.

You also live in Toronto don’t you? You’ll be fine it’s not northern Manitoba.

cheers.
Sponsored