Wireless Carplay - Low Volume Compared to XM

zulhijj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Searched but didn't come up with a solid answer. Anyone know why the volume on wireless Carplay when playing Spotify is much lower than the volume when just using XM directly from the radio? Is that normal? Is there something to adjust to make them the same?
Sponsored

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1991 325i Turbo, 2019 RC350
Mine is the same way and I sometimes scare myself switching to XM when I forget about the difference. As far as I can tell it's just how it is but maybe I missed a setting somewhere..

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
If your using your phone for your songs
Using Bluetooth, the volume has to be raised on your phone too.

OP
OP

zulhijj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Thanks. Yeah, it scares the crap out of me when it gets super loud after using it on my phone then switching. I tried changing the volume on the phone but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe because I'm using wireless CarPlay and not bluetooth directly? I don't know. I have wired CarPlay on my other car and this isn't an issue so I wonder if it's just a wireless CarPlay thing or just how the Supra handles it. It's annoying but it is what it is I guess.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I have the same issue. In my previous cars (with BT but no Apple Carplay) I always set my phone’s volume to around 75% and then used the car’s head unit to control volume.
In the Supra, Carplay is about half the volume as XM.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
XM/ satellite is always a better sound quality and usually louder. I’ve noticed that in all my cars

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
XM/ satellite is always a better sound quality and usually louder. I’ve noticed that in all my cars
Depends on what you pay for/have the bandwidth for. I have premium Spotify w/high-quality audio. It's about the same as XM.

OP
OP

zulhijj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Yeah, it seems audio in general is just quieter using wireless CarPlay. Because even with music in my iPhone library it still sounds quite. Too bad we can't use wired Carplay as well as wireless. I never had that problem with wired.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I don't know if this is it, but there are different volume settings for different things. I remember having to crank up the volume for phone calls, but I don't remember if that also affected carplay. Mine are relatively close to each other.

OP
OP

zulhijj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
I don't know if this is it, but there are different volume settings for different things. I remember having to crank up the volume for phone calls, but I don't remember if that also affected carplay. Mine are relatively close to each other.
Will give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: zrk

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
My google maps no longer talk to me. How do i fix this? Is it a setting or volume?

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It’s not a CarPlay issue, It’s a bug in the entertainment system. Unfortunately, none of the volume settings in the entertainment system menus will fix this issue. Toyota needs to fix this problem on their end.

My google maps no longer talk to me. How do i fix this? Is it a setting or volume?
The Navigation menu under Settings in Google Maps has a setting for “Mute State” which should be changed (I think) to Unmuted.

Last edited:

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
XM has some of the worst sound quality of all options on the market. XM has two satellites that only have 4mhz of bandwidth for ALL channels. This means each channel only has 64kbit/s available. They use a slightly different version of the ACC codec, which is roughly the same as ~100kbit/s from an MP3.

“Normal” on Spotify is roughly the same quality ~96kbit/s, but high and very high are substantially higher at 190 and 320kbit/s. So you are either downloading/streaming low quality music from Spotify or you are falling victim to loudness equalling better sound.

Now if you stream XM over the internet it sounds just like Spotify does at higher settings. But satellite based XM is complete garbage.
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk