Wireless charging pad affecting phone battery life?

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
As I understand it the charging pad in our cars is a QI certified model, and shouldn't by itself reduce battery capacity of the phones it charges, but heat does kill the batteries and I'm frequently encountering situations where my iPhone 12 Pro Max overheats when using it with Wireless Carplay on the charging pad. Battery Health reports that I'm down to 89% Maximum Capacity on my less than a year old device. I'm just curious if others are experiencing similar issues when making use of the car's charging pad.

It probably doesn't help that I normally use a case on my phone, but it is an ultrathin TPU case that shouldn't contribute to the problem, but I'm going to start leaving it off the phone for now and see if this condition occurs as often after. It's also hot down here in Texas (let's face it, it's hot everywhere these days), but the pad is out of direct sunlight and I keep the car at 73F when I'm operating it. I'm considering switching to USB to Lightning cable charging instead, to see if that helps.
Sponsored

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
My phone gets hot when charging in the dock as well. I donā€™t use it anymore though. Itā€™s a nice feature but I had issues with the phone moving under acceleration and the charging would stop until I recovered/repositioned the phone. Iā€™ll just stick to cables so I can mount the phone in a place where it wonā€™t move or get launched into another dimension when I accelerate.

OP
OP
satx_phantom

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
I find it gets much hotter on the pad in the car than on a charging cradle at home. Plus my phone doesnā€™t fly out of the holder in the car like some other folk have complained about, but that may be due to the size of the phone since I could see smaller/lighter ones shifting around in there under acceleration.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
It did get extra hot when I would use the pad so I stopped and only use it when I really need to charge it, which is rarely. Can't tell you if it reduces battery life because my battery health still reads 100% (apple recently replaced my phone so..)

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Battery Health reports that I'm down to 89% Maximum Capacity on my less than a year old device.
That's pretty substantial, for only a year. For reference, I've only used my pad a handful of times (only when my battery is really dead, or on a long trip), and I'm at 96% on my 12 Pro (normal size). I would expect the larger phone would be less degraded over a year.

Well, at least new phones are right around the corner... Time to see how far you can degrade that iPhone 13 Pro Max in a year! :)

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I stopped using the built in charging pad given how hot it would make any phone put on it - I wouldn't be surprised to find out it is literally defective in some way and causes battery issues.

Switched to a proclip magsafe mount instead.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Take it from someone whose company makes Wireless chargers as well. They're crap. Active cooling or not, the gap, phone case, wandering phone.. Not to mention the FW making constant information hand-off with the devices trying to constantly figure shit out not helping the conductive heat. That's not even considering the numerous phones, SW builds, radiative emissions etc to account for in development. Oh and of course you always have too little time, too much competition, 0 budget, angry OEM, changing requirements, 0 chips around, blah blah blah.
Sponsored