Wiring dashcam via fuse box but no power

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
EDIT: The problem was caused by me not properly grounding the black cable seen in the last picture.

I'm trying to wire my front dashcam via the front fuse box.

In my fuse box, F46 is the fuse that allows for 12v power (via the cigarette lighter).

I bought a fuse connector that allows me to tap power so I can connect the adapter wires to the fuse.

When everything is wired up, my dashcam won't power up.
Checking with a voltage-meter I notice that the USB Mini connector (coming from the adapter) does indeed has +-12.2Volt on the outer pin. (Shouldn't this be 5V?)

I am absolutely sure that the adapters work. I used them in my Toyota GT86. Back then they were hardwired to the fuse itself (cable jammed in fuse box ?)

So, I am really confused why the dashcam just doesn't want to power up.

Things I tried:
- Using a different adapter
- Using a different dashcam
- Checking for cable breaks
- Making sure the power is still turned on (within +-6min) by checking if my phone still charged via cigarette lighter USB charger.
- Making sure the dashcams work as intended, via cigarette USB charger it does indeed.

My Dashcam: Viofo A119

Fuse connector:

1625751109783.png

Adapter with low-voltage protection:
1625750831638.png

Red and black wire coming from 1 side of the adapter (should be wired to fuse):
These wires are twisted with each other and connected through the blue socket of the fuse connector (see above).
1625751455630.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
It might be your adapter that's messed up. By looking at output voltage it should only he 5 volts 2 amps. Is 5 volts and 2 amps or 10 watts what that camera needs to run?

How many volts come out from the cigarette lighter usb?

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If you're reading +12v coming from the USB adapter at the mini USB outer pin, then you are getting too much voltage. Output voltage on the adapter shows it should be 5v/2A. So yeah, the circuit is going to send 12v and it seems that the adapter is not stepping that down to 5v

What are you using for a ground? It looks like you are saying that you are connecting the black and red together and wiring them both to the hot side. I would think that you would wire the red (+12v) to the fuse and ground the black wire

Reactions: B54
OP
OP
B54

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
It might be your adapter that's messed up. By looking at output voltage it should only he 5 volts 2 amps. Is 5 volts and 2 amps or 10 watts what that camera needs to run?

How many volts come out from the cigarette lighter usb?

Correct. Was like it last time in my GT86, so...
12V comes out of the cig. lighter. Don't know the exact value. But I think Consultadrone is right, with me not grounding the black wire.

If you're reading +12v coming from the USB adapter at the mini USB outer pin, then you are getting too much voltage. Output voltage on the adapter shows it should be 5v/2A. So yeah, the circuit is going to send 12v and it seems that the adapter is not stepping that down to 5v

What are you using for a ground? It looks like you are saying that you are connecting the black and red together and wiring them both to the hot side. I would think that you would wire the red (+12v) to the fuse and ground the black wire
I think you're correct... Will try to ground the blackwire tomorrow.

Last edited: