Syken

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90 3.0
Hey guys,
So here in Austria started to snow yesterday and it’s quite a challenge to drive the Supra in the snow…
The roads are a bit frozen with snow on top.
The Supra out of nowhere started to never go in First gear when I stopped at a red light it always stayed in the second gear.
When I got home and drove back and forward in the garage the car started to shift again in first gear when I stopped.

also in was only in normal mode… in Sport always changed to the first gear 🤔

So is it normal for the trans motion to do this? Is the ZF that smart? 🤔
Anyone know anything about this?
Sponsored

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Today I also drove the Supra in the snow for the first time.
The transmission always stayed in 2nd gear and it took me a bit (not used to automatics) to understand I don't have to depress the acceleration pedal.
Simply letting the car creep forward when about to accelerate, seems to give the most traction.

I also noticed my vehicle sometimes did not want to accelerate instantly when the front (bumper) radar was covered in snow.

Last edited:

syyc

First Name
21 years old
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra Pure800
Today I also drove the Supra in the snow for the first time.
The transmission always stayed in 2nd gear and it took me a bit (not used to automatics) to understand I don't have to depress the accelaration pedal.
Simply letting the car creep forward when about to accelarate, seems to give the most traction.

I also noticed my vehicle sometimes did not want to accelerate instantly when the front (bumper) radar was covered in snow.
The slow acceleration is caused by consistently losing traction, which is what puts it into this "snow mode".

This is at least from my personal experience, as this is my second winter with the car.

If the traction light doesn't come on for 5 minutes or so it goes back into normal mode and accelerates at normal speed.

But yes to answer OP it is normal to start in 2nd gear and you can even get a transmission tune to make it start in 2nd all the time

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
But yes to answer OP it is normal to start in 2nd gear and you can even get a transmission tune to make it start in 2nd all the time
You can also manually shift to 2nd when at a stop. Once you do that once, it effectively “disables” 1st gear for the remainder of the drive until you either shut the car off, or manually shift back to 1st when at a stop.

OP
OP

Syken

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90 3.0
The slow acceleration is caused by consistently losing traction, which is what puts it into this "snow mode".

This is at least from my personal experience, as this is my second winter with the car.

If the traction light doesn't come on for 5 minutes or so it goes back into normal mode and accelerates at normal speed.

Yeah I know about that…
I did the stage 3 XHP for the burps since eu version didn’t came with it from the factory…
And after I left the shop there was a lot of snow so I was sliding all the way to the red light and when I came to a stop I saw that the car stayed in second gear..
so I went back to the shop and tried a few times to flash the 2nd gear thing out but it was never on so I was a bit scared that something was fked…

anyway now I know that the transition does that so all good ✌🏻 ty guys

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
When I used to drive a manual transmission cars E46 M3 and E90 M3 I would start off in 2nd gear for traction in the snow.

Cherry

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
My old 95 Firebird with a slushbox had a button to keep the car in 2nd gear for the snow. Drove that all through high school in the midwest winters and it didn't have a lsd of any kind.
Sponsored