Blown Turbo - still under warranty - chances of replacement?

5Rocket_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
2023 3.0 AT Supra.
~9k miles on the car and ECU still locked.

Car started smoking yesterday after doing donuts.

Before this there was a whining sound like a little supercharger when I would get on it - around 4.5-6k rpms, which now after searching is what others experience when they blow their turbo.
Big pops at low rpm while limping it home and there's oil coming out of the exhaust.

Am I better off replacing the turbo and sending the ECU out to FEMTO now?

Options for turbo seem to be pure800 or DAW.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Any codes? With Bimmerlink I was able to see a bunch of hidden codes like 'overboost in manifold' which I am sure the dealership would have found out with the JB+. Which setting were you on?? Did you contact Burger?

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
I say put it to stock and have the dealer take a look at it. Worst thing that could happen is a warranty denial. Best case scenario you get a brand new turbo.

Lesson learned also JB4/JB+ is hot garbage!

My car on JB4 never felt like it ran properly. It was faster than stock but not smooth at all. Once i went MHD the car was not only faster but the powerband was butter smooth.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Putback to stock. remove jb4. delete social media
flip a coin
Absolutely the best advice. Someone got ratted out on one of Supra fb groups last year when they brought their blown up jb4 car in to attempt a warranty repair. I would also delete this thread while heā€™s at it.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
I canā€™t understand anyone doing ā€œDONUTS ā€œ
With a Supra,or for that matter any high end sports car,? But whatever u do in regards to trying to warranty this, make sure u clean all the rubber from the undersides of the rear fender wellšŸ™„

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Iā€™m surprised the JB+ could kill a turbo?!! What fuel were you running? Iā€™m shookkkethhh

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Piggybacks generally arenā€™t safe not the first instance of this
Eh, when used appropriately with proper fueling and settings, theyā€™re generally fine. Ofcourse cranking up a boost knob to max and running 87 octane (not saying he did lol) is definitely asking for trouble. Anyone wanting a piggyback should work with someone to optimize the system and reliability.

Last edited:

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
You will prob be fine, most toyota dealers have a 10 or 15k warranty price cap before involving an FST, unplug it, don't say anything, throw stock dp on and call it a day, they may deny it worst case, but 99.99% you will be fine.

Supra Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
Would warranty denial come with other costs?

93 octane.
I donā€™t think that JB+ was the only culprit, I think that I got a bad turbo and an extra 4lb of boost accelerated itā€™s demise.
I am not gentle on the car by any means.
Hence why I hate buying used sports cars, you might get lucky or you might buy one owned from a kid like this.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Hence why I hate buying used sports cars, you might get lucky or you might buy one owned from a kid like this.
i'm happy you can buy a new sports car when you want to tbh, but no one is going to be conservative with a sports car to then leave it for the next person to enjoy.. f that

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

93 octane.
I donā€™t think that JB+ was the only culprit, I think that I got a bad turbo and an extra 4lb of boost accelerated itā€™s demise.

Yes a denial will for sure come with costs, costs of everything they did to figure out what was bad and how it became bad. If it's a blown turbo and they state its due to being tuned and deny it, it'll be on the vehicles records and you'll be responsible for all the work up to that point. I have seen firsthand in my shop when I was a tech they will put your parts and bolts in a bag, in a box, in the trunk and push it out to the parking lot if you decline the work. Depending on the tech everything may be in individual labeled bags, or it could also just be all thrown in a box together with you to sort out what goes were.

All that said I doubt they would look to far into this and would most likely change out turbo under warranty.... this time.. But you have to "pay to play" things like this are exactly why some things are so hard to get taken care of under warranty. Not saying your JB+ hurt the turbo, it could've gone out stock. but when people mod their shit then break it, then cover it up to have someone else pay for it.... well nothing is free, it makes the guys who had legitimate issues more difficult to get taken care of because others ruin it.

Last edited:

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
Eh, when used appropriately with proper fueling and settings, theyā€™re generally fine. Ofcourse cranking up a boost knob to max and running 87 octane (not saying he did lol) is definitely asking for trouble. Anyone wanting a piggyback should work with someone like @Jesse DaBears to optimize the system and reliability.
Agreed piggybacks should be run conservatively or a proper custom tune on them. My personal experience I never use a piggyback again i did not like how the car ran

93 octane.
beats me but u donā€™t wanna ask the dealer that for sure lol

and if you thought u had a bad turbo probably adding boost wasnā€™t the best idea in hindsight. does your car have a lot of miles???

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
It perfectly makes sense, doing Donuts in your car can break shit, youā€™d be better off in eating donuts,preferably with a nice cold glass of milk,would be less stressful on your caršŸ¤Ŗ
Sponsored