Banned
Banned
First Name
JAY
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 MK5 supra .... 97 sc300 2JZGTE 1000++ HP
After almost two years of waiting, I'll finally be receiving my manual Supra in June. I ordered it since I feel it's one of my last chance to buy a new car with a combustion engine and a manual transmission. Unfortunately, this means I will likely have to part with one of my other cars to free up some space for the Supra. I'm thinking of selling my Porsche 968, since it's the car I drive the least. Although it's not a fast car, it's probably one of the most enjoyable to drive. The gearbox is smooth and accurate. The handling is awesome and the car will stick with most modern cars in the twistys despite the lack of power. Brakes and steering provide great road feedback and you can always feel what's happening with the tires. It's a driver's car. It's not comfortable and has no modern amenities, but I don't care about any of this. Now, the Supra will obviously be way faster. However, I never had the chance to drive one and I'm afraid I might regret selling the 968. Like most modern cars, I'm concerned the Supra might be too "disconnected" from the road compared the 968, not providing the same level of feedback through the steering wheel and pedals. I know it's a strange comparison, but does anyone with a manual Supra also has experience with a 968, 951 or late 944? How does the Supra compare? Does it provide an engaging driving experience like sport cars from the 90s?
Manual Supra transmission is trash. Not even comparable to a Porsche. You will be disappointed.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Manual Supra transmission is trash. Not even comparable to a Porsche. You will be disappointed.
Sad to hear. I absolutely love the ZF transmission on this car.

Last edited:

eternal512

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
19 Stinger GT1, 11 Tacoma
This is *not* a good thread to read right before I get on a plane to go pickup my 6MT.

I was thinking about all my manuals I've driven owned over the years... It's possible I'm just not *that* picky... please don't kick me out of the club for saying that even an OK manual is still pretty great.

+ 1969 VW Bug: probably the most vague.. Finding reverse was something of a dark art. loved it.
+ 1987 Camry: Really a very good shifter... loved it (took 60k mile tires off it in 13k miles, my dad was perplexed).
+ 1968 Pontiac Lemans (Muncie/Hurst): Throws as long as night, loved it. Once put it in reverse while nervous about showing off my burnouts.
+ 1967 Firebird (muncie/hurst): Same as above, had a shift knob that would give 2nd degree burns in the summer, Loved it.
+ 2002? Honda AP1 S2k: obviously a high-water mark in terms of shifter. Drove it for a decade. loved it. I shouldn't have sold that car.
+ 2003 Mazda Protege 5: I can't remember a thing about the shifter on this car..
+ 2015 Ecoboost Mustang: Perfectly fine shifter. This car taught me I don't have the constitution for modifying cars... I am way to anxious about them exploding.
+ 2023 Supra MT. ?

I'm excited to get one last gas/manual. I talked myself out of a C8 into the supra... so excited.
Sponsored