Anyone who's driven both a 2021/2022 and 2023 actually noticed handling/suspension differences?

Stardust

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 Miata
Since 2023s have been out for a while now, has anyone who's driven BOTH a 2023 and a 2021/2022 actually noticed a practical improvement in the suspension or handling?
If yes, how noticeable is it? Curious especially if you've noticed for spirited canyon driving or track use.

I'm specifically referring to this part of the MY2023 changes:

All GR Supra versions benefit from retuned suspension, introduced to optimise performance with the new manual transmission.

The measures include more rigid vulcanised rubber in the front and rear anti-roll bar bushes and re-tuned shock absorbers. The mechanical components in the electric power steering and the system’s operating parameters have also been re-tuned.
The ambition to make the GR Supra fun to drive in the most demanding scenarios has helped inspire the introduction of a new Hairpin+ function. This is designed to allow more freedom and reward specifically when taking tight bends on an uphill gradient (more than 5%) with a high-friction road surface, like those found on European mountain routes.

More “free” wheel spin can make such routes more enjoyable to drive, so Toyota has optimised engine torque control to allow a greater difference in the degree of wheel spin on the left and right-side tyres.
A highly agile vehicle with high peak friction tyres may be sensitive to sudden “snap-off” oversteer – something that is hard to control with the car’s vehicle stability control (VSC) alone. To counter this behaviour, an anti-roll programme (ARP) has been adopted for both the manual and automatic versions of the GR Supra. This intervenes at an earlier point with the VSC to cover any sudden loss of grip when the car’s high-response suspension setting it used.

In addition, the Track mode has been tuned to allow for easy drifting with freedom of throttle control. The vehicle remains agile, but the there is less risk of spinning thanks to specific engine and torque control.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Owned both, driven all three iterations extensively. Yes, there's a noticeable difference, and it depends on which model year you're comparing the 23 against, because there were significant changes from 2020-2021 as well. The biggest things you'll notice are the EPS (steering) programming & feel, and the rear's ability to stay planted over mid-corner bumps. The LSD programming also got a lot better on the 23, as it pays closer attention and isn't as eager to lock when you don't really want it to.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Yes, there's a noticeable difference, and it depends on which model year you're comparing the 23 against, because there were significant changes from 2020-2021 as well.
driven both 21 and 22, a lot more "behaved" than 20, i'd say. immediately noticeable

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
driven both 21 and 22, a lot more "behaved" than 20, i'd say. immediately noticeable
That was BY FAR the biggest jump, from 20 to 21.

Personally, I have a strong disdain for the 2020MY as a whole, and I really struggle to get past it. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic car, but stock for stock, the 21+ is better in so many ways. I think a lot of it stems from when I was selling the 2021, with uninformed buyers constantly making me 'compete' against 2020s they were looking at, and then having to argue with them over the significant differences between them.

Oil burning and DMEs never came up, so that is irrelevant, and overblown AF.
/end rant

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Owned a 2020 and now have a 23, night and day difference, I have driven MY21/22, and the 23 is still a lot better but is not night and day difference between 20 and 23, on top of being so much faster up top with the 6 port, the steering, diff and suspension tuning is much better setup in a 2023. I would never own 2020 again; anyone who asks me and says if its it's worth it for the tuning aspect, I tell them no way in hell. the $1200 you save not sending ecu to femto is lost immediately with the thousands in suspension work you'll need to even get to the level of a stock 23.

OP
OP

Stardust

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 Miata
Interesting info!
How would you guys characterize the difference between a 2021/2022 (2022 had no performance changes) vs. 2023?

Are the 2023 updates noticeable in spirited driving?
Or is it fairly irrelevant until you start tracking hard?

Last edited:

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Owned a 2020 and now have a 23, night and day difference, I have driven MY21/22, and the 23 is still a lot better but is not night and day difference between 20 and 23, on top of being so much faster up top with the 6 port, the steering, diff and suspension tuning is much better setup in a 2023. I would never own 2020 again; anyone who asks me and says if its it's worth it for the tuning aspect, I tell them no way in hell. the $1200 you save not sending ecu to femto is lost immediately with the thousands in suspension work you'll need to even get to the level of a stock 23.
I am actually surprised theres a noticeable difference. Never driven another Supra besides my 23 - was always confused with people reviewing prior years as "unstable" and "twitchy". The 23 is definitely playful but planted (until you want it to slide).

OP
OP

Stardust

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 Miata
Anyone else have any experience to share on 21/22 vs 23 handling?

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
So going from say- 21/22 to 23 were there mechanical updates too or just electronic and if just electronic couldn’t that be fixed/updated with a firmware update?

OP
OP

Stardust

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 Miata
So going from say- 21/22 to 23 were there mechanical updates too or just electronic and if just electronic couldn’t that be fixed/updated with a firmware update?
Yeah there were mechanical updates as well.
The Toyota quote in OP says:
The measures include more rigid vulcanised rubber in the front and rear anti-roll bar bushes and re-tuned shock absorbers. The mechanical components in the electric power steering and the system’s operating parameters have also been re-tuned.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Yeah there were mechanical updates as well.
The Toyota quote in OP says:
This means the mechanical changes consist of more rigid rubber in the sway bar mounts. Good luck feeling that difference. The rest is “re-tuning” marketing speak.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This means the mechanical changes consist of more rigid rubber in the sway bar mounts. Good luck feeling that difference. The rest is “re-tuning” marketing speak.
The dampers are different parts entirely. I certainly notice the difference from the 21. Driving the same roads everyday, one particular on-ramp bump that would always activate traction control under hard acceleration in the 2021, almost never does in the 2023. Same tires and pressure as before, same amount of torque being put down. Different results.

Allenyao09

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Toyota GR Supra 3.0 MT
I have driven a 21 model a while back before getting my 23 MT. The steering does feel different, but I didn't notice any difference in the hairpin mode and new VSC settings. Perhaps I did not push the cars hard enough.
Sponsored