AutoBlog interviews Toyota's product manager Ben Haushalter

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I want to throw all my supras on the corner weight... JZA80 are lighter than people think (plus I've ditched the twins and have lightweight brakes) -and keen to see how much weight i've removed from the A70 and added to the A61
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
The A80 is about 100lbs lighter than the A70 is, targa vs targa and hardtop vs hardtop, both turbo iirc. That's based on our internal figures that I have accessed previously.

Another one of those situations where people blow things way out of proportion and say zOMG the A70 is a land yacht compared to A80. You don't use nitrogen filled wings, hollow carpet fibers, and specialty hardware when something is that much lighter as-is :)

That said, lighter is always better.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/ne...the-reborn-toyota-supra-means-for-kiwi-buyers

Q&A: what the reborn Toyota Supra means for Kiwi buyers

1548787540292.jpg

Toyota New Zealand general manager Neeraj Lala: looking forward to his new company car.

With GR Supra just months away from New Zealand release, what kind of Toyota are we exactly in for?

A truly exciting one, vows Toyota New Zealand general manager Neeraj Lala.

Such a Supra fanboy he says applied to work for this brand more than 20 years ago driven, in part, by hope of one day getting one as a company drive (and, yes, in case you're wondering... his wish is to be fulfilled), he says we're in for a wild ride.

Inevitably there's debate about the styling and it being a BMW co-share. How do you handle these issues when the car releases here?

We don't see our strategic alliances as being issues. They're a strength. Those alliances are formed with strategic thought and focus.

How long before TNZ announces timing and pricing?

We've already reached out to customers who have expressed intent to purchase.

Nearly half of our first's year's allocation is tied to what I would call "better than firm" orders. We're hoping to start delivering these cars in June, July, August. I say hoping because we have never received cars from Austria before. There's some logistical work.

We have explained to customers pricing hasn't been confirmed but we can confirm it will be a six-figure car.

We've been sharing information already; we hope to share the complete details in early February.

Who will be the Supra customer here? Do you imagine many 86 owners will transfer?

Nearly every customer who has put their name down has had an interest or an ownership in an 86.

Do I think all 86 customers will transfer over? I don't think they will. The philosophy around 86 was always around it being an affordable sports car. Supra sits... in a slightly different place.

I think affluent Generation Ys will come forward to buy one.

Just 26 86s were sold new here last year. Do you have a sales target?

Those 86 sales last year are not really a reflection of the sports car market. It's more representative of model life cycle trends … sports cars tend to go really strong in the first few years then they come off that excitement.

We certainly believe Supra is going to go strongly … it'll be the job of our team in Japan to keep up that excitement for as long as possible.

We're not going to have the luxury of spare cars. We're going to have an extremely tight supply, we're talking less than 40. For us it's not about a sales target. It's about re-energising, growing the brand.

What's your thought about your car having less power (250kW versus 284kW) and being slower in the 0-100kmh sprint than the BMW Z4; did you expect it to have a deficit?

Through the [development] process no-one had any expectations of what the other was doing. Each focused on what they wanted to deliver.

Our target was to deliver a 0-100kmh time in the low fours.

It's a good performance package with an exceptional handling package. We're extremely happy.

Gazoo Racing has given detail about the 2.0-litre engine, in 146kW and 192kW formats – are either for NZ?

We debated that at length and decided our market is too small and too niche for multiple powertrain options.

Having said that, it's certainly not out of the question that if we needed to, we could.

Does that leave the door open for these to become Japanese used imports?

With our open market customers can bring in what they want.

We will still fully stand behind any customer who brings in a Toyota from Japan. If customers start purchasing those models out of Japan it might well give us some direction as to where the market might be heading.

At this stage, for us, it's focused on the 3.0-litre.

TNZ has previously indicated interest in having other Gazoo product. Might that include the Supra Launch Edition from the Detroit Motor Show?

More than 10 Gazoo models are available in Japan, of which some have already worked their way into NZ as used product. My absolute passion and focus is to bring in a broader range of Gazoo product over the next 12-24 months.

As for the Launch Edition? No, but the colour is available to us. It is a matte finish similar to that on the special edition Lexus 10th anniversary models, a higher maintenance paint. Currently no customer here has asked for this finish.

Supra's been built to double as a track car. TNZ has skin in motorsport. Is there any possibility of a distributor-supported Supra race or drift car?

There are lots of ways to improve the Gazoo Racing image but I'm not sure if creating another one-make race series is the right strategy … it's unlikely.

We haven't had any requests from the drifting community to put a Supra in. We're open to considering it on its merits.

TX3i2Supra

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'89 Ford TX3i
"We have explained to customers pricing hasn't been confirmed but we can confirm it will be a six-figure car."

Proving once again that we get royally screwed for being downunder. US$50,000, rate around 0.70 = NZ/AU$72,000. $28k+ for shipping per car? Really?

Pablo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota + Nissan
I think 3397lbs is fully loaded US spec, including the safety reinforcements in the bumper and doors, TSS, etc. the point of what metric is a good one however...

GR had slides in EU and JP showing 1490kg for the I6
German version will weight 1570kg. In germany weight is stated always with things like us + 75kg driver and 90% fuel. So I think only the car should weight less then 1490kg

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/why-is-australia-so-far-behind-the-curve-on-supra-pricing

Why is Australia so far behind the curve on Toyota Supra pricing?

You’re going to have to wait a while to find out prices, but a four-pot Supra’s also on the cards for Oz

IF YOU live in the UK, you know exactly how much you’re going to be asked for the new A90 Supra.

The same goes for if you live in the United States. Aussies, however will have a very long wait before they get to find out how much one of 2019’s most eagerly awaited cars will cost. Why?

“We’re still working through pricing,” said Manager, Public Affairs Brodie Bott, sounding as if a car that has been teased for an eternity has managed to sneak up on Toyota Australia and catch the company unawares.

We know UK cars range between £52,695 and £56,945, while US models kick off at $49,990 and top out at $55,250. Both the US and the UK already have their launch ranges detailed, with equipment lists and colour choices fully specified.

Here in Australia, we’ll have to wait until close to the model’s launch in Q3 or Q4 of this year to get any indication of pricing and trim.

“We haven’t had a car like this for a very long time,” says Bott. It’s put to him that exactly the same applies to the US.

“That’s a different situation. The US has far bigger volumes than us. They’re around ten times larger than we are. It’s also dependent on when we get stock. We’re still working through the sales process for the car,” he explains.

“We’ll just get the six cylinder engine at the moment,” he says.

Does that mean that a version with a different engine is on the way?

“There may be a four-cylinder car later,” he responds.

The Japanese market is set to receive a pair of BMW B48 turbocharged four-cylinder engines, developing either 147 or 190kW. It’s doubtful we’d get that entry-level motor as it’s below even the power output of the manual 86 coupe, but the 190kW version looks an interesting alternative to help lower that as-yet unknown Supra asking price.

Given that the BMW Z4 with which the Supra shares most of its oily bits retails at around $80,000, that’s not a bad ballpark to start your budgeting from.

Australian buyers usually demand a high-spec option and our entry-level specification could well mirror that of the UK-market GR Supra Pro. That car is equipped with adaptive suspension, an active differential and high-performance brakes. Inside, dual-zone climate control, 8.8-inch infotainment with sat nav, adaptive cruise control, LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers and a rear-view camera. That’s in addition to black leather upholstery, a 12-speaker JBL sound system, head-up display and wireless smartphone charging.

Until the tail end of the year, we won’t know for sure. The lucky country? Not this time. In the meantime click through our monster gallery of Supra images and let us know how you’d specify yours.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
yeah, consistent with some insider rumours i've heard. fat-spec and closer to 100k than the 80k we were hoping for.

I might be keeping my AMG at that price :(
Sponsored