Autocross classing help please

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
As the title suggest, need some clarity on the Supra. I originally have been running as BS for the past year, and now since I upgraded my sway bars I was going to move to STU. But according to the rule book, the Supra is SST? I looked at the registration list to see what other Supras are doing and most are either in the novice category or put themselves as BS. If anyone can shed some light here with an explanation that'd help. I have until tomorrow to update my registration.

And yes up until now I was just classing car based on what someone told me when I first started autocrossing and never questioned it until now. 😅 I was running as a novice for a bit so I guess that's why the officials didn't say anything either.

IMG_5263.jpeg
Sponsored

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
I was under the impression that both the 2.0 and 3.0 are in BS, was that changed to SST? Or, does the addition of larger sway bars place you into SST?

OP
OP
Rta95

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was under the impression that both the 2.0 and 3.0 are in BS, was that changed to SST? Or, does the addition of larger sway bars place you into SST?
That's my exact question. I was under the same impression but seems like out the gate the car falls under SST according to the rule book. But I thought whether it was SST or STU or whatever, those only refer to modified street class cars so idk.

94boosted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R MT
Our cars fall in BS class stock. Street classes allow for the replacement of one swaybar. So, if you replace only the front bar (like most BS Supra drivers do) you would still be in BS, if you replace both bars, it will push you into a street touring class. The Supra isn't listed in STU, only in SST which is a provisional class IIRC.

OP
OP
Rta95

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Our cars fall in BS class stock. Street classes allow for the replacement of one swaybar. So, if you replace only the front bar (like most BS Supra drivers do) you would still be in BS, if you replace both bars, it will push you into a street touring class. The Supra isn't listed in STU, only in SST which is a provisional class IIRC.
Ah. So with both sway bars upgraded, I'd be SST not STU is what you're saying?

94boosted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R MT
Ah. So with both sway bars upgraded, I'd be SST not STU is what you're saying?
Yah, seeing as the car isn't listed in STU, only SST, that's where you'd be classed. If you care about being competitive you may want to go back to your stock rear bar and stay in BS. As building a competitive SST car won't be cheap.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Dude honestly. Like I can't tell if I'm stupid or if this stuff is genuinely confusing 😅 probably the former hahaha
Classing a car properly in autocross takes some time. You have to start with the street class and work your way up. It's unique in the way that it doesn't tell you what is not allowed. It tells you what IS allowed. So you keep having to read class after class until you find one where all of your modifications ARE listed.
It doesn't help that the rules seem somewhat arbitrary. As example, if you have a Scion FRS with Toyota badges, you cannot be in the stock class anymore. I wish I were exaggerating but I've seen it protested.
Just one of the many reasons I have my own personal opinion on autocross 🤣

Ryan T

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gr Supra
As stated above, one sway is BS. There are several ST classes and the Supra is in SST. It’s not a jacket class yet. Exactly what all have you done to your car so we can help.

OP
OP
Rta95

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As stated above, one sway is BS. There are several ST classes and the Supra is in SST. It’s not a jacket class yet. Exactly what all have you done to your car so we can help.
Just front and rear sway bars. I have wider aftermarket wheels but stock tires.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
The Supra is B class in Street.

Street Touring allows for more mods than Street. Details below
Screenshot_20230922-141213_Adobe_Acrobat.jpg
Sponsored