Car stalled when coming to a stop. Start/Stop feature has been coded out via Bimmercode.

Nonschlont

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium & Evo X
I did a search and didn't come up with anything. Car is a 2021 premium with less than 400 miles, completely stock mechanically.

Ok, my car did something odd today.. First off as stated in the title, the start/stop feature has been coded off with bimmercode.
So I jump in the car to leave the shop today, and noticed that the start/stop indicator on the dash was showing off with a line thru it. (not normal) Thought hmmn.. Drove off, hit a cpl stop lights, all is well. Next light, as the car came to a stop, the car stalled.
Cherry on top of me sitting there going WTF??? I was right next to a police officer who was looking.. lol Turned the car back on, drove off, didn't stall again.
This has happened twice now. First time it happened, I was disabling the start/stop feature using the z4 option. After it happened the first time, I re enabled it with the z4 option, then used the supra option to disable the function again.. Thinking it was something there..

So, my question is, has any1 seen this behavior? Is there anything particular I should check under the hood, that's known to cause this? Vac line pop off or something? Hoping some1 has seen this before..
Should I re enable the start/stop feature in bimmercode again?
Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
So I have a 2021 Premium and when the car has the Start Stop Icon with the / Through it, it can still stall the car randomly. I tend to turn it off completely. When it says OFF with the Counter Clockwise arrow, I have no problems. I always turn if off manually, using the button in the center console, or run in sport mode. Maybe your Bimmercode is causing some slight issues?

I have 2k miles on my 2021 and when the icon is OFF, it never stalls, but when it shows the "/" Icon, it can still shut off randomly. I've never had a car with the auto off feature, so when I first got this car and got a stop light, it freaked me the hell out. From that moment on, the instance I get into the car, I always hit that manual "Start Stop OFF" Button that's in the center console.

EDIT: I should mention, I've never had to hit the ignition button at a stop light or stop sign when the start stop function was in use. If you had to, and the car didn't start itself back up without the key/button, I would check Bimmercode first. I say this because I have had 0 issues with my 100% bone stock car so far.

EDIT # 2: What do you mean by Supra and Z4 "Auto Off" Option?

Last edited:

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
As I understand it, Bimmercode doesn't actually disable the Start/Stop feature, it actually enables last setting memory, so if it was off last time you shut off the car, it remains off next time you start it up rather than defaulting back on. If it was on last time you turned off the car, then it will be on next time you start it up.

Also, as I understand it, when the icon has the slash through it, it means the feature is unavailable, not actually turned off. So, you would see that icon if the feature were on but not available. I believe it does this when the engine is cold and also in Sport mode (but don't quote me on that).

Coding that was the first thing I did to my 2020 a year ago. I turned it off and I have never touched that button again. I've never seen the icon with the slash through it (as though the feature were on but not available) nor has my car ever stalled.

Did the car actually stall? Or did it turn off the engine itself? If you had to re-start your car using the start/stop button (i.e., the car did not start itself when you hit the gas pedal) then the car did actually stall and that is definitely NOT normal. If the car DID re-start the engine on its own when you hit the gas, then there is possibly something with the coding or you have to hit the button and turn it off.

Just my $0.02

OP
OP
Nonschlont

Nonschlont

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As I understand it, Bimmercode doesn't actually disable the Start/Stop feature, it actually enables last setting memory, so if it was off last time you shut off the car, it remains off next time you start it up rather than defaulting back on. If it was on last time you turned off the car, then it will be on next time you start it up.

Also, as I understand it, when the icon has the slash through it, it means the feature is unavailable, not actually turned off. So, you would see that icon if the feature were on but not available. I believe it does this when the engine is cold and also in Sport mode (but don't quote me on that).

Coding that was the first thing I did to my 2020 a year ago. I turned it off and I have never touched that button again. I've never seen the icon with the slash through it (as though the feature were on but not available) nor has my car ever stalled.

Did the car actually stall? Or did it turn off the engine itself? If you had to re-start your car using the start/stop button (i.e., the car did not start itself when you hit the gas pedal) then the car did actually stall and that is definitely NOT normal. If the car DID re-start the engine on its own when you hit the gas, then there is possibly something with the coding or you have to hit the button and turn it off.

Just my $0.02
It actually stalled, and I had to start the car again by pressing the start/stop button.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
It actually stalled, and I had to start the car again by pressing the start/stop button.
I would say that's not at all normal. New cars with less than 500 miles on them don't just stall. I'd say do the usual, make sure you didn't get some bad gas, check for codes and then bring it to the dealer if it continues.

Edit: Sorry you're having trouble with your second new Supra.

OP
OP
Nonschlont

Nonschlont

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
so to update this thread, the car has done this a few times now, since the last time I posted. There's been a cpl times where it pops up immediately when turning the car on, and the last time it happened as I was pulling up next to a cop at a light and switched form sport to normal while slowing to a stop. (2nd time lol) I tightened the connection on the terminals a lil bit, but still occurred.
Today, I decided to check the battery with my charger. 12.3v while off, and 80% capacity. I believe 80 = 100% so don't think its the battery.. When it happens, I just re start the car, and it goes back to normal operation.
weird!
Sponsored