Competitor engine tech for response and power expectations

Before you would buy, how much HP do you need?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi TTS mk2
What performance tech must the halo Supra have to provoke you to upgrade from your current vehicle?

At the 2018 Detroit Motor Show Mercedes presented a new inline-6 3.0lt (twin charged) engine to be fitted to AMG 53 badged vehicles (CLS53, E53 coupe/cabriolet) that would incorporate mild-hybrid 48 volt battery tech and an electronic turbo to drastically reduce initial lag (and allow for larger turbo to be used) to boost power, said to be 435hp (326kw).

This engine comes in contract to Mercedes V6 3.0lt twin turbo AMG E43 engine (295kW and 520Nm) and E400 (245kw and 480Nm) engines without the hybrid power.

Such E-boosting anti-lag tech came to my awareness when it was implemented in a mk3 Audi TTRS that was made into a concept car called the TT Clubsport turbo. This car back in 2015 produced 592hp (441kw) in an inline-5 2.5lt thanks to augmenting a 48 volt battery powered e-turbo to a significantly larger exhaust-driven turbo.

The e-turbo 48v mild hybrid tech has already found its way into production in the VW group with it used in the new Audi SQ5 SUV, a 3.0lt V6 Bi-turbo diesel 5.1 sec 0-60mph became the fastest production diesel SUV at its launch.

Also a car that has been drawn to my attention just today is the Infinity Q60 Black S concept wanted to incorporate hybrid power to target 500hp from there 3.0lt V6 twin-turbo.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I consider the BMW B58 engine comparing in power and size to the Audi TTRS 2.5lt making 400hp I have to consider the possible engine for the Supra to be a low rpm torque biased eco-motor. This is not acceptable as the carrier of Toyota sport-car dreams for spirited driving.

Perhaps my opinion is ill informed concerning the more powerful N55 revised M2 engine using forged internals. In my mind this is still an engine coming from 2011 technology and is too long ago to be accepted for a 2019 production year Supra.

I seriously doubt Toyota will be given the 2019 arriving BMW S58 (m-division) engine targeting 440-450hp, succeeding the S55 M3/M4 engine.

The halo Supra engine in my mind needs to come with forged internals to be tuner friendly from the factory, and needs to incorporate the latest hybrid tech that is already being found in various Mercedes and Audi vehicles that are set to expand significantly in the next 5 years (and probably be the main feature tech of the next 5 years as direct injection with twin-scroll turbo were the feature of the last 5). If Toyota/Gazoo Racing does not include such lag reducing hydrid tech in their halo model then they will be behind from the start and this will drastically reduce the appeal of the car for me. I will see it then as little different from getting a BMW 140i, 240i or M2. I want something to rival the Cayman S and potentially the base 991.2 Carrera.

This model means significantly more to Toyota for sports cars than is does to BMW for their Z4. This car with its stiffer chassis over a convertible needs to be a category above the new Z4 in performance.

My own current car is an mk2 Audi TTS (200kw 2.0lt turbo) and from my experience with this coupe with good looks (which the Supra most certainly must be primarily) is that I would be happy to have the ZF speed auto over a DCT if it means sufficiently better low speed refinement and torque handling ability for tuned cars. I would also be happy for 2 seats only if the boot cargo area is large as most of the time I have my rear seat flat anyway. The most annoying thing with my car is how sluggish it is off the line at lights for first 10 meters and up to 3,000rpm. While I am sure larger capacity and twin-scroll turbo would help somewhat, I think much of the issue would still remain (discounting catless e85 for production car). The only tech I see that will push me to upgrade to the new supra is the instant high-torque ability of using an electric motor at low rpms. The Halo supra should target power around 315-340kw while being 70-85% of the price of a Cayman S.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
What you propose re hybrid tech would be great for an eventual top-line Supra, but from all accounts it won't be seen on the initial release.

Turbo tech has come a long way since the 2006 release of the mk2 TT. Twin turbos, dual turbos (with one larger than the other), twin scroll, variable scroll - these approaches have been successful in several cars at reducing turbo lag at lower rpms to the point of it being a non-issue (at least according to reviewers). The additional cost, plus the reliability and repair cost questions that come with new hybrid tech lead me to prefer these currently known solutions to lag, even if they are not as optimal. If I wanted a $65k CAD sportscar there are lots of other options out there - an M2, TTS, base Cayman, or Corvette. Toyota needs to keep the cost down so they have their own unique sportscar market niche to sell into, between cars like the 370Z and the Cayman.

Last edited:

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
What performance tech must the halo Supra have to provoke you to upgrade from your current vehicle?
It's pretty simple. Anything that moves the car, whatever its' weight, at reasonably fast speeds. I would love seeing an N/A I6 with around 300 horses (~100hp/l) or a supercharger of some kind for the response and torque band.
Also, if there's no manual, it's dropped anyways. Anything without a manual doesn't seem like an enthusiast's car whatever the benchrace'able specs.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
My Infiniti Q50 RS came with 400hp... I bought it used, a year old, for $35k, but they are like $50k new. (Infiniti depreciation ftw lol)

It's a sedan so not super comparable, but the Q60 RS is more comparable aside from weight, but given the Supras specs I don't think I'd switch personally. That, and the fact that the Q60 is a 2+2 3700lb GT car, which is what Supras pretty much always were aside from maybe the MK2.

I dunno, new Supra buyers will be a specific audience that wants the nameplate, lightweight, and a decent chunk of power given the weight. To me, it's a pure sports car versus a GT, and while appealing overall, the pricing kinda makes me shrug.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Have you seen the new infiniti turbo engines? Man they would fit so well into a silvia or next z . I heard they will put the 2.0 into the Q60 .

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
what do you think is under my hood? lol

VR30DDTT, direct injected twin-turbo :D

the 2L turbo is available as the base engine, then theres the 3L like mine, and there's also a hybrid one.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
My Infiniti Q50 RS came with 400hp... I bought it used, a year old, for $35k, but they are like $50k new. (Infiniti depreciation ftw lol)

It's a sedan so not super comparable, but the Q60 RS is more comparable aside from weight, but given the Supras specs I don't think I'd switch personally. That, and the fact that the Q60 is a 2+2 3700lb GT car, which is what Supras pretty much always were aside from maybe the MK2.

I dunno, new Supra buyers will be a specific audience that wants the nameplate, lightweight, and a decent chunk of power given the weight. To me, it's a pure sports car versus a GT, and while appealing overall, the pricing kinda makes me shrug.
A70 that is why we are so lucky to have choices, you have a beautiful car that works for you, I mentioned earlier, I am looking to switch from my ISF but the RCF/GSF are to heavy for me...cheers

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
agreed! I still think it's going to be great for those that want that :)

hard to argue with 800lbs less and near same power level haha

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
I am glad it works for you dude! I like Inifiniti's latest cars specially the q60 very much!
For the topic , i think in about 3-4 years we will see big changes , like the audi sq7 tech becoming more and more accessible and even done on petrol engines and more affordable models , also in 2020 japan will host the olympic games and toyota is the biggest sponsor of the event , so i believe they are preparing for it .

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah man! tunability is awesome too, guys are making 450whp+ with exhaust and ECU flash lol ($1k)

I hope the new Supras output can easily be bumped like that too...

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Ye the new infiniti engines are sick , if they decided to put those engines to a lighter nissan chassis it would make the car an instant win . Btw check the VC-T engine that is coming in 2018 to some infinitis , it is an engine with sweet tech on it .

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Funny you mention that as I just watched the Engineering Explained video on YouTube that covers that technology.

OP
OP

Phil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi TTS mk2
Yeah that Variable compression engine looks promising....

I came across a JB4 tuned and decatted BMW 140i vid. I think this b58 engine is adequate as the second highest performance motor for the supra if it is so easy to tune and fun for cheap without needing to go beyond it with forged internals.