Coolant Mixture

Vegas17

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra AT
Is it recommended running straight water w/ water wetter or a higher water to coolant mixture for track days on the Supra? Given pure water vs a mixture gives higher cooling capacity seems reasonable but what are your thoughts?
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Is it recommended running straight water w/ water wetter or a higher water to coolant mixture for track days on the Supra? Given pure water vs a mixture gives higher cooling capacity seems reasonable but what are your thoughts?
I've used Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant additive in everything for many years with decent results, but hopefully @Rocksandblues @FLtrackdays or @razorlab has experimented and can provide more insight.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Should be a 50/50 mix with distilled water anyway. I add a little more distilled water so probably more like 40/60.

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
I do 80/20 distilled/coolant + water wetter.

If it was warm year round I'd probably not use coolant, but it adds a bit more anti-corrosion and lube anyway, so I guess it's a plus.

In theory it will freeze around 15f.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
The Antifreeze question aside the less coolant you use below 50/50 mix the more corrosion you risk. Straight water with or without water wetter is the most thermally effective solution and ok for race engines where corrosion isn't really a major concern but on a road car it's another thing.
The other thing to remember is that the antifreeze also raises the boiling point of the coolant by a decent margin over and above the system pressurisation increase. This might not seem like a big deal but coolant system architecture isn't a perfect thing especially in the cylinder head galleries and there can be areas of stagnation and low flow where the extra headroom of the higher boiling point can mitigate some of these issues.

Phil

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
50/50. When low, I add more premix. I’m lazy and it’s easy.

Keep your tire pressure down, bleed or flush your brake fluid often, and do your oil & diff fluid changes a bit more often. That’s what you hear about & notice most.

OP
OP

Vegas17

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra AT
The Antifreeze question aside the less coolant you use below 50/50 mix the more corrosion you risk. Straight water with or without water wetter is the most thermally effective solution and ok for race engines where corrosion isn't really a major concern but on a road car it's another thing.
The other thing to remember is that the antifreeze also raises the boiling point of the coolant by a decent margin over and above the system pressurisation increase. This might not seem like a big deal but coolant system architecture isn't a perfect thing especially in the cylinder head galleries and there can be areas of stagnation and low flow where the extra headroom of the higher boiling point can mitigate some of these issues.

Phil
I never would have considered this. Great incite, thank you.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
you generally want glycol mixtures above 25 percent. below that, bacteria will not be killed. at very low levels (say 5 percent-ish) the coolant acts as food for bacteria
Sponsored