Datalogging - Lap times and vehicle telemetry all in one!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
What this is:

A walkthrough of how I setup a system that data logs my lap times plus engine and chassis telemetry data, all in one nice file and also streams in real-time to an in-car display

Why:

Having disparate devices hooked up was a mess and creates too much work to combine files, not to mention too many devices to mount and manage.

I had a system like this in my last track car and I loved it for simplicity and the ability to see all data at a glance, while also having a data log file to study after. I was seeking something similar in my Supra.

Here is a video example from my last track car. The system was streaming to an android head unit so I could see lap times + telemetry data in real time. Also the added benefit to overlay all this data on my track videos:

Here is a video example of the same type of system running in my Supra, the difference currently is that all data is streaming to an android tablet:

So, what's the system?

Currently, the system consists of:
  1. Autosport Labs RaceCapture Track Mk3 hardware device
  2. The above device connected to the Supras OBD2 port + CAN network
  3. Some additional cables:
    1. Autosport Labs Power + CAN pigtail
    2. Autosport Labs Can1/Can2 Splitter (to combine the separate CAN and OBD2 cables into one input)
    3. Autosport labs Can Extension cable (it was easier for me to use an extension cable through the engine bay than take apart more interior panels)
  4. Samsung Android tablet (You can also use your android or iOS phone that you already have)
  5. RAM tablet mount

The RaceCapture device looks like this:

IMG_4396.jpeg

First off, you need to connect the device to the power, ground and CAN2 low/high.

The easiest location to tap into the CAN2 network on the Supra is the passenger side outer footwell. You pop off the plastic trim and you will find the harness to tape into. The CAN2 twisted pair wire colors are Yellow/Black and Yellow/White. I used Lockitt 20-22 AWG Posi-Taps for this.

IMG_4523.jpeg

For power, I used an Add-Circuit fuse tap at the fuse box DIRECTLY above the wire harness in the foot well. There is an empty slot at F47 you can use. This powers off 6 mins after shutting the car off.

Front.png

I used this location for the ground (Thanks to another forum member for this reference photo)

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.18.33 PM.png

If you wish to tap CAN at the ECU instead, you can use this for reference:

ARKyihfU.png

For connecting the OBD2 port, I ran the Can Extension cable through the passenger side firewall, across the engine bay and back into the cabin via the drivers side firewall. I then connected the extension cable to the supplied OBD2 cable and that cable into the Supras OBD2 port.

Okay, now you have the device connected to power/ground and the Supras data systems. Next you need to setup your phone or tablet so you can see things. Your phone/tablet acts as a display for the system and also saves the streaming data to a file. You also have the option of upgrading to the Racecapture Pro that has on-board datalogging onto an SD card. However, this write up is for the Racecapture Track that has no ability to save to a file on the device itself.

For your phone/tablet you have two options to connect to the Racecapture device, either wireless through wifi or bluetooth, or hardwired to the device via USB-C. For hard wiring android devices, you need an OTG adapter. I chose to hardwire the device to make it as solid as possible.

Next you need to connect the supplied GPS antenna to the Racecapture device and mount the antenna somewhere with a clear view of the sky. I chose to mount it on my tablet mount as this was the easiest solution for me currently. It also has the added benefit of being put away when you aren't using the system.

I mounted my Racecapture device under the glovebox, towards the firewall. I did this because it was the easiest place to route all the cables and such. You also get the added benefit of routing the USB-C cable + the GPS antenna through the side of the dash which makes it a neat install and gives you the ability to just tuck the cables away when not using the system.

Here is a photo referencing how I routed the cables. Of course, if you mount your phone or tablet somewhere else, you can route the cables differently.

IMG_0030.jpeg

Congratulations, you now have the hardware part of the system complete. However, if you stop now, all you would get are lap times.

In order to actually get all the data from the car flowing into the system, you have to set it up correctly in the Racecapture software. You need to setup both CAN and OBD2 data channels.

Another forum member, @TYRFRYR, did an awesome job of figuring out a good set of CAN data items. All credit for this goes to him, thank you!

Here is the current list of all CAN items we can datalog:

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.39.11 PM.png

As you can see, for track use, there are some VERY handy data items here. In the Racecapture software, you can find @TYRFRYR's preset in the CAN Mapping tab:

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.42.21 PM.png

Or, if you want to add them yourself, here is a spreadsheet with both CAN and OBD2 items for the Supra. I'm also happy to share my RaceCapture config file with anyone that wants it!

Here is the current list of OBD2 items:

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 1.28.30 PM.png

Now, you have everything setup, awesome! You should see data something like this:

IMG_0032.jpeg

One important thing to note. The Supra will NOT stream data unless the car is on and running. I am used to cars streaming data in ACC mode, so I was stumped for a bit thinking I had wired things incorrectly. Then I turned the car on and magically things started working. :)

The above screen is the raw data view. The really cool part of the RaceCapture app is you can customize screens to your hearts content and have multiple screens you can move to as you wish.

Here are some examples from their website:

WEJzIT3.gif

4bRjqCa.gif

So, the real power here is that now you will have data logs of not only your lap times, but also vehicle dynamics like brake pressure, g-force, yaw, individual tire speed, etc AND engine data, all in one data log that you can look over after your laps.

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 1.23.02 PM.png

Here is another video showing the data overlayed and the actual system at work:

I have some upgrades I am looking at doing to the system, so this will be updated as I go. If anyone is interested in doing a system like this themselves, please ask any questions you might have, happy to help!
Sponsored

czzisaman

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Tungsten
Damn, I'm gonna come back to this post once I get over my laziness. Solid setup.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Excellent write up. If I decide to get serious about track days again, I'll be going this route.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Thats cool!

It looks like the Japan 6MT version might come with a Toyota/Gazoo Racing data recorder built in - starts at :29 in the video:

OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Here is an example of the wealth of data I can get from this and I'm still working on finding more data channels!

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 3.59.41 PM.png

A couple other things I forgot to mention. You can have multiple displays if you wish. You can have a tablet via hardwire, a phone/table via BT/WiFi. So if you wanted your phone showing just lap time and your tablet showing engine vitals, you can.

You can also live stream all your data via the podium app.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I would assume that camera is at best 720p. Maybe even less.

btw, racecapture has GoPro integration.
Dude.... You're like the zrk for tracking with this wealth of knowledge!!!! Beautiful setup bro 😍 I wish you lived closer. I'd pay someone to set up my Harry's laptimer 😂 I just did a Apple Watch "session" on how I can use the new scuba diving model. I'm sooooooo non tech friendly 😭. Track Addict was a complete failure (for me), so I'm going back to Harry's. I found a way to record the video down to 720p and my GPS can do 10Hz. So I was pretty happy about that for my next time out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Dude.... You're like the zrk for tracking with this wealth of knowledge!!!! Beautiful setup bro 😍 I wish you lived closer. I'd pay someone to set up my Harry's laptimer 😂 I just did a Apple Watch "session" on how I can use the new scuba diving model. I'm sooooooo non tech friendly 😭. Track Addict was a complete failure (for me), so I'm going back to Harry's. I found a way to record the video down to 720p and my GPS can do 10Hz. So I was pretty happy about that for my next time out.
I highly recommend looking at the Garmin Catalyst. It's actually what I have mounted in the middle below the oem center display in my videos. It's super straightforward to setup and comes with a video camera. Downside is no car data. Upside is it has decent video and does lap time data overlays. Here is an example from my car:

Side note: I saw your post somewhere about changing the seat and cried (inside - didn't let my wife see). I didn't think it would cause all the electric gremlins to be unleashed. At least I didn't go out and buy one! I was seriously considering it... Now I'm back at looking for knee pads on Amazon for my next track day 😜.
You can put a seat in without the car getting grumpy, you just get annoying lights. It's kind of ironic that if you mess up the ride height sensor, the car goes into limp mode but you can take out a safety device and airbag and the car is like "Jolly good sir, carry on!"

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I highly recommend looking at the Garmin Catalyst. It's actually what I have mounted in the middle below the oem center display in my videos. It's super straightforward to setup and comes with a video camera. Downside is no car data. Upside is it has decent video and does lap time data overlays. Here is an example from my car:

You can put a seat in without the car getting grumpy, you just get annoying lights. It's kind of ironic that if you mess up the ride height sensor, the car goes into limp mode but you can take out a safety device and airbag and the car is like "Jolly good sir!"
Yeah I do like the Catalyst and will do that if Harry starts giving me trouble. And spot on about the safety stuff. The stupid collision warnings constantly come on but thank gawd it just flashes red on the dash and doesn't engage the brakes (with all the nannies turned off). So maybe I can do a seat someday and just watch more Christmas lights entertainment when I drive on track. LOL

OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Yeah I do like the Catalyst and will do that if Harry starts giving me trouble. And spot on about the safety stuff. The stupid collision warnings constantly come on but thank gawd it just flashes red on the dash and doesn't engage the brakes (with all the nannies turned off). So maybe I can do a seat someday and just watch more Christmas lights entertainment when I drive on track. LOL
You can fully turn off the collision warnings by holding the "Safety System" button until the light goes off. Surprisingly, not many people know this. Most people just click it once and turn the light from red to green. Hold it down until the light goes fully off. The center display will now show "ALL OFF" instead of just "Customized"

94boosted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R MT
I ran a Race Capture Track MK2 in my Camaro SS 1LE, just using the supplied OBD2 cable, we were able to pull Steering Angle, Throttle Position and Brake Pressure, in addition to the obvious stuff that RC is already capturing (lat/long, GPS position & speed etc.). It's all we really needed to see which driver was gaining/losing time in which sector and why. If I'm understanding your first post correctly, and the spreadsheet, there's no way to get Steering Angle or Brake Pressure, only throttle position, from the OBD2 port on the Supra, you need to pull those channels from CAN?

PS not sure if you've ever heard of it as it's more tailored to autocrossers, but there's some really good software out there that pulls the race capture data seamlessly, it's called SoloStorm. It's primary use is autocross but they do have a time attack/track mode.

OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I ran a Race Capture Track MK2 in my Camaro SS 1LE, just using the supplied OBD2 cable, we were able to pull Steering Angle, Throttle Position and Brake Pressure, in addition to the obvious stuff that RC is already capturing (lat/long, GPS position & speed etc.). It's all we really needed to see which driver was gaining/losing time in which sector and why. If I'm understanding your first post correctly, and the spreadsheet, there's no way to get Steering Angle or Brake Pressure, only throttle position, from the OBD2 port on the Supra, you need to pull those channels from CAN?

PS not sure if you've ever heard of it as it's more tailored to autocrossers, but there's some really good software out there that pulls the race capture data seamlessly, it's called SoloStorm. It's primary use is autocross but they do have a time attack/track mode.
Hey! Yea, with my Evo, I pulled a lot from the OBD2 port but we had more knowledge of the ECU addresses and used a whole different mode.

On the Supra, thus far most of the good track data bits are direct from CAN, with the added bonus that CAN is much faster than the normal OBD2 logging.

I have looked at SoloStorm but it's pretty expensive and I've already spent a good amount on different things with the Supra so far. I might try it out in the future though!
Sponsored