Deposit’s made

SInner

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 3.0
I gave my deposit today for a 24 and found out after I was emailed the receipt that it was non refundable. I thought this odd but I guess it’s incentive to wait it out. I’d planned on putting deposits at more than one dealer to hedge my bets but the non refundable part blows that idea
Sponsored

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I'd fight that. If they didn't mention it before you gave it to them.

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
I placed a non refundable deposit in a dealership that guaranteed they could get me a car in the color i want in about a 12 months wait. The thing is maybe that might not be true so in the paperwork i signed it said $500 non refundable but when i was charged on the credit card they charged me $515 instead so if anything goes wrong i most likely have an exit to dispute the charge and get my money back lmaoo

OP
OP

SInner

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 3.0
Mine was $1k. I called my sales guy today to make it and he was out. So I made it with the finance manager. But I emailed the sales rep to inform him that I wasn’t told it was non refundable so we’ll see what he says

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I gave my deposit today for a 24 and found out after I was emailed the receipt that it was non refundable. I thought this odd but I guess it’s incentive to wait it out. I’d planned on putting deposits at more than one dealer to hedge my bets but the non refundable part blows that idea
if you dont receive your car you can charge that deposit back thru your bank

OP
OP

SInner

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 3.0
if you dont receive your car you can charge that deposit back thru your bank
Is there a time limit that they would have to obtain the vehicle?

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Is there a time limit that they would have to obtain the vehicle?
probably not, if you wanted to be a dick you could charge it back right away but then that dealership might get upset with you and you certainly wouldnt have the car reserved anymore.

if you dont get your car in 6 months or in some sort of timely fashion i dont think a charge back would be a problem at all.

next time youre on the phone with a dealership and wanting to put down a deposit try to get them to make it refundable, i have a preorder out on a supra right now for $500 refundable and they only made it refundable after i asked and stated i would charge back if the deal fell thru.

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
This is pretty common if you do not know what to do. When they write up the contract that reflects the deposit, that is the time to insist they indicate it is refundable. If you dont, it always gets entered in as non refundable.

if they dont do a whole contract, its when they come over with the piece of paper with the vin and write in your deposit amount and tell you to sign it, that is when you argue to have it explicitly list it is refundable.

OP
OP

SInner

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 3.0
This is pretty common if you do not know what to do. When they write up the contract that reflects the deposit, that is the time to insist they indicate it is refundable. If you dont, it always gets entered in as non refundable.

if they dont do a whole contract, its when they come over with the piece of paper with the vin and write in your deposit amount and tell you to sign it, that is when you argue to have it explicitly list it is refundable.
There’s been no contract signed at this point. The transaction was done over the phone with an emailed receipt. This is to hold my spot on their list when they receive the vehicle. I was able to give them my preference (base absolute manual) but there no vin because the vehicle hasn’t been allocated yet

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I was told recently that the $500 deposit is refundable. I had explained that I never even sat in a Supra. The salesman replied that if I place a $500 deposit and don't like the car when it comes in, I can get the deposit back.

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I gave a $500 non-refundable for mine, but it was clearly stated before hand this was the case. The initial paperwork I signed stated it as well and protected me a well as the dealer could not sell the car to anyone out from under me, even if someone offered them $10k over for it.

66joeyn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 2023 Supra
I was told recently that the $500 deposit is refundable. I had explained that I never even sat in a Supra. The salesman replied that if I place a $500 deposit and don't like the car when it comes in, I can get the deposit back.
Always get that is writing. I make them write out the entire deal and everyone signs it. If the dealership is on the up and up, they would be ok with it. If not, I recommend walking away because you will most likely get screwed in the long run.

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
I put down 500 fully refundable. For dealers where you can't even do a test drive because of scarcity, any reputable dealer should let you cancel. It's not like these cars are hard to sell. My local dealer can't keep them longer than a week!

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I put down 500 fully refundable. For dealers where you can't even do a test drive because of scarcity, any reputable dealer should let you cancel. It's not like these cars are hard to sell. My local dealer can't keep them longer than a week!
Agreed. What they probably won't allow is me to test-drive the car and then walk away, especially if I were to violate the break-in requirement. I would never do that but as you say: Have it in writing.
Sponsored