First time ever on a track!

Unfocus

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra 6spd
Hey everyone figure I share my first time, didn't know the exposure was off in the video.
Experienced Brake fade on hot lap 6.which was scary.
Looking at going to endless pads mx72, maybe do 3ish track sessions a year, also endless fluid. Car has 3300kms do I need to change rear pads too or will the fronts be good enough?
Also looking at continental or ps4s once these are worn out. Any inputs
Lap Video

Screenshot_20240505_181222_dragyLap.jpg
Screenshot_20240505_181217_dragyLap.jpg
Screenshot_20240505_181212_dragyLap.jpg
Sponsored

Ruman

First Name
Ruman
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
I also recently started tracking my car. I would recommend keeping the stock pads until they are worn after a few more track days, especially since you are still learning you will probably be fine on the stocks for a little bit. Definitely recommend getting some high temp brake fluid ASAP, since that will help with the brake fade.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Pads and fluid for sure, other than that, if you’re new to the track, just get plenty of seat time. She’s plenty of car out of the box for most drivers. In time you’ll need tires and 200tw is a fun but unnecessary luxury. As your skills progress you’ll know when it’s time to do other mods. Send it and learn from instructors and other experienced drivers.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
These guys are spot on! Keep your brake fluid fresh (DOT4). It’s a high temp fluid that will become “wet” (absorb water) quicker and loose some of it’s higher temp properties. Castrol SRF has the highest wet temps if you don’t want to change your fluid as often. Great fluid!

You are right that the front pads will wear out quicker. They do the majority of stopping for the car. I highly recommend Hawk HP+ pads. They are a giant leap from the OEM pads and inexpensive. You can drive on them in town or track. They’re on my wife’s GTi. I swear that thing can stop on a dime! We recently switched em out. I forgot how damn great those pads are.

And because you asked about tires:

96dcf2f6-4876-450a-848a-472f16dc663d.jpeg

Unless you’re driving 20k miles per year in town, the Kumhos are a lotta bang for the street to track buck. Endurance 200s will last you longer. Have fun!

Last edited:

NINaudio

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'd second (or third, fourth, whatever number we're up to) just sticking with the stock pads for now and upgrading your brake fluid to a high temp DOT 4 one. I'm currently running Motul RBF 600 and didn't experience any brake fade even on a 10 lap session.

kungfujedis

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra MT, 2013 WRX
I also recently started tracking my car. I would recommend keeping the stock pads until they are worn after a few more track days, especially since you are still learning you will probably be fine on the stocks for a little bit. Definitely recommend getting some high temp brake fluid ASAP, since that will help with the brake fade.
My understanding is that overheated fluid causes a soft pedal, while overheated pads cause fade. Fade is when you apply the pedal with normal pressure, but the car is not effectively stopping. With a soft pedal, you have a lot more pedal travel before the brakes engage, but they stop you in the same distance.

OP
OP

Unfocus

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra 6spd
My understanding is that overheated fluid causes a soft pedal, while overheated pads cause fade. Fade is when you apply the pedal with normal pressure, but the car is not effectively stopping. With a soft pedal, you have a lot more pedal travel before the brakes engage, but they stop you in the same distance.
I was not driving during the brake fade or firsr session. My instructor he slammed the brakes and only got abs and nothing else.

As well how many track days can I get out of these pss? This was first day with maybe 4 sessions 20 hot laps

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I was not driving during the brake fade or firsr session. My instructor he slammed the brakes and only got abs and nothing else.

As well how many track days can I get out of these pss? This was first day with maybe 4 sessions 20 hot laps
I don’t know much about the OEM pads. But I‘ve heard they do well for 1st track days. You should always bring a little flashlight with you to the track and check your pads and rotors. If you can’t see the meat of the pad, it’s probably time to change them.

kungfujedis

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra MT, 2013 WRX

I assume if ABS is engaged, then the pads are working. ABS engages when the wheel is about to lock up, which means the brakes are effectively stopping the wheel. If anything, maybe the tires arent gripping.

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
Not doing a ton of track days but got the pmu club racers and srf fluid but decided not to change anything till I wore out the tires. Figure when I get grippier tires I’ll add the grippier brakes.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
On OE Brake pads, it really depends on driver's ability. Mine lasted about a season consist of 15 events /w 2~3 days each.
Might be the case if you're driving dishonestly and not using more than 30% brake pedal

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Not a 1:1, but I had 265/35/19 and 295/35/19 PS4S tires. Got 6 track days --> ~10 laps per session x 7 sessions x 6 days = ~420 laps (1050 miles) out of them, but was definitely worn on track day 6. But I'm also on aftermarket suspension with a different alignment, so my wear characteristics are likely different than yours.

Best I can say, take a look at the end of each day at the insides and outsides to see what's going on