First time powder coating.

SupraEffective

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 2022
So after market rims are out of the question for the time being.

I have been thinking of powder coating since I'm not a huge fan of the two tone color.

My question is, what steps did some of y'all do to get your rims powder coated?
Did you have to take just your wheels to the powder coater?
Did you take your whole car?
What should one look out for when choosing a powder coater?

Any tips would help!
Sponsored

KKP_Jay Phantom

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Karbonkings.com
Car(s)
'21 A91 - '21 Corolla H - '06 Sentra Spec-V
Look up the best rated powder coaters in your area and direct these questions to them.

It will vary from place to place. I have a spot where I can leave the whole car. There's another where the wheels cant even have rubber on them. Its all dependent on your local spots man.

Personally:
I took just my wheels. I don't want my car sitting in his un-gated lot.

I had the option to leave the car, if I wanted.

Look for the ratings. Ask your local FB group for recommendations if you don't want to go off yelp/google reviews.

OP
OP
SupraEffective

SupraEffective

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 2022
Look up the best rated powder coaters in your area and direct these questions to them.

It will vary from place to place. I have a spot where I can leave the whole car. There's another where the wheels cant even have rubber on them. Its all dependent on your local spots man.

Personally:
I took just my wheels. I don't want my car sitting in his un-gated lot.

I had the option to leave the car, if I wanted.

Look for the ratings. Ask your local FB group for recommendations if you don't want to go off yelp/google reviews.
I really don't have jacks to leave my car on and on top of that they wont let me leave my car on jacks were I live(Gentrified area) but you have a good point I'll look around my area and see what I have.

aspaw1n

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Gray
I'm not getting mine powder-coated (wanted to, but ultimately went into debt to buy new wheels), but I was quoted for $600 to powder-coat my two tones. They also said that they'd keep the car for about 3-4 days. I've heard some places can offer to let you use some "rental wheels" for the time being, but not sure if it's true.

If you do decide to powder coat, I highly suggest looking at the colors in person, since pictures probably won't do it justice.

I have seen someone post OEM 2022s/two-tones in white, and hoooly shit it looks good.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Depends on the place. The one I went to could have taken the entire car, but I decided to just drive the wheels+tires in my other car and leave the Supra on stands for a few days. The shop removed the tires, powdercoated the wheels, then mounted+balanced the tires. I don’t recall the exact price, but it was around $650.

OP
OP
SupraEffective

SupraEffective

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 2022
I'm not getting mine powder-coated (wanted to, but ultimately went into debt to buy new wheels), but I was quoted for $600 to powder-coat my two tones. They also said that they'd keep the car for about 3-4 days. I've heard some places can offer to let you use some "rental wheels" for the time being, but not sure if it's true.

If you do decide to powder coat, I highly suggest looking at the colors in person, since pictures probably won't do it justice.

I have seen someone post OEM 2022s/two-tones in white, and hoooly shit it looks good.
Most definitely give that a try. I was thinking of going with a matt black or gun metal grey(similar to the 23 supra rim color) 3-4 days isn't too bad, was expecting a week.

OP
OP
SupraEffective

SupraEffective

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 2022
Depends on the place. The one I went to could have taken the entire car, but I decided to just drive the wheels+tires in my other car and leave the Supra on stands for a few days. The shop removed the tires, powdercoated the wheels, then mounted+balanced the tires. I don’t recall the exact price, but it was around $650.
Thats not bad!

aspaw1n

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Gray