Jim bagan toyota sold me a scratched up supra!

OP
OP

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
The stealership doesn’t care about you in particular b/c they figure you are not going to bring them any maintenance or repeat business…. You’re 100 miles away.
This was the 2nd car I bought from them in a year. It was already repeat business.
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
But it's a brand new car. Should not have those issues to begin with.
It's a brand new MASS PRODUCED car that's travelled half way around the world in the hands of multiple drivers who are "just doing a job and need to get it done"' to get to the dealership and then to you. Add to that any "options" you've chosen like clear bra, paint protection, window tinting and the car can be driven around the houses being delivered to these places to get done. They all don't just do it at the dealership. Add to all this the obvious natural variation in build quality and there's stuff you need to live with or go insane.
I'm as pedantic as hell but you need to be realistic about some stuff. We've just taken delivery of 2 brand new cars (our 6th new car in 6 years with the Supra still to come) and both have minor issues with the finish but it's not worth the hassle and risk of taking it back to the dealer and have the dealer muppet mechanics work on it. There is a risk/reward calculation to consider there and often the dealer muppets create more aesthetic issues than they solve doing a repair/replacement.

Phil

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
It's a brand new MASS PRODUCED car that's travelled half way around the world in the hands of multiple drivers who are "just doing a job and need to get it done"' to get to the dealership and then to you. Add to that any "options" you've chosen like clear bra, paint protection, window tinting and the car can be driven around the houses being delivered to these places to get done. They all don't just do it at the dealership. Add to all this the obvious natural variation in build quality and there's stuff you need to live with or go insane.
I'm as pedantic as hell but you need to be realistic about some stuff. We've just taken delivery of 2 brand new cars (our 6th new car in 6 years with the Supra still to come) and both have minor issues with the finish but it's not worth the hassle and risk of taking it back to the dealer and have the dealer muppet mechanics work on it. There is a risk/reward calculation to consider there and often the dealer muppets create more aesthetic issues than they solve doing a repair/replacement.

Phil
And don’t forget he had some dealer muppet drive it 100 miles to deliver it to him…..

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra

Phil
Well sorry your car didn't come perfect. My dealer sent mine to get professionally detailed at my shop of choice when I bought mine.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra

Phil
But also my purchase was different. I got it when it first day it released. And the dealership put together a release event too. That's probably why they went above and beyond.

OP
OP

lemanlysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3P NY
Op is a total freak. Wait until he drives it on a normal road he will inspect every molecule of the car
great contribution to my thread. i have a lot of respect for people that make comments like yours. you make my day better! you are the bigger man!

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Shouldn’t have these issues, but it’s not surprisingly. Still, dealerships have done way worse things without getting their name dropped on a forum.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
And don’t forget he had some dealer muppet drive it 100 miles to deliver it to him…..
As a general comment my pet hate with a performance car is dealer mechanics taking the customers car for a fang or putting miles on it that simply aren't justifiable. Not sure of the circumstances here but I'm from a "maintenance background" and every friend and relative I have is somehow involved in the motorcycle or automotive technical side. I know every dodgy thing in the book the mechanics get up to and then some, even my own relatives. Some things you just can't un-see or unknow unfortunately . The dealership mechanics using customer cars for joy rides or unnecessary driving is just disrespectful to the customer but almost unavoidable these days I'm afraid. Motorcycles are a little better as it's pretty hard to thrash a modern sports bike in an urban environment unless you go out to deliberately abuse it somehow.
My performance cars never return to a dealership after I take delivery. The daily drivers do and I hold my breath every time. My new Mazda had to go back for the pax side headlight protector to be replaced as the original one was distorted and a poor fit. An easy fix and something that should never have been fitted during the PD process but hey thats what happens, they have a faulty part but fit it anyway and see if it flys with the customer. In this case it didn't and I told them to either fit a new undistorted one or remove both of them altogether and refund me the money.
Phil

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Sorry but if a crappy Chevy Spark can come in *mint* condition, it is very well expected in this day and age to get a 60K car in MINT condition. Anything less than that is how dealers sell their "as is" used cars!
If they're not taking any pride in their dealership and the quality it brings onward, then they shall stop selling cars and let direct ship to customer model take over.

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Sorry but if a crappy Chevy Spark can come in *mint* condition, it is very well expected in this day and age to get a 60K car in MINT condition. Anything less than that is how dealers sell their "as is" used cars!
If they're not taking any pride in their dealership and the quality it brings onward, then they shall stop selling cars and let direct ship to customer model take over.
C’mon man…. It’s a Toyota. WE may take great pride in this machine, but at the dealership they barely care. It’s Toyota, they care about volume; Corolas and Camrys. They can hardly understand nor maintain a Supra.
You expect them to act like Ferrari or mclaren and treat the machine and customer like royalty?!

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
C’mon man…. It’s a Toyota. WE may take great pride in this machine, but at the dealership they barely care. It’s Toyota, they care about volume; Corolas and Camrys. They can hardly understand nor maintain a Supra.
You expect them to act like Ferrari or mclaren and treat the machine and customer like royalty?!
well if you go down this path, next Supra you own may just come with a dinged door. Be my guest.

Lonestar_Nomad

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘23 GR Supra Premium MT
So since no one else is really helping, the picture with the paint looks like trash was cleaned out of the paint and they did a poor job with buff. This was extremely likely performed at the factory and it’s VERY common. There’s a reason Paint Correction is a standard process for high value cars. I did paint and bodywork for 15yrs, I’ve seen very high end cars come in with trash in the paint and similar issues. Talk to the dealership, be REASONABLE and ask if they will cover a detail/body shop of your choice to resolve the issue. Frankly as someone who worked in the industry, being normal and courteous goes a long way.

The image of the scratched screen, same thing. “Hey I noticed this was damaged when I received the vehicle, I’d like to explore my options to resolve this”. And hey I get it you’re worked up, it’s a big purchase. But I mean this as nicely as possible. Breath.

*edit* if you’re looking for some honestly brutal advice, buy a case of beer, go to a local body shop, and ask a paint helper to buff and polish it for you. Throw them a crispy 50, case of beer, andsavw yourself from a fight with a dealership over something that is likely not their fault. Should take all of 15 minutes to resolve. They can probably take care of the scratch on the screen as well.
Sponsored

Last edited: