Lexus LBX "F" or "GR" badged model with G16E-GTS 1.6L turbo I-3 & GR Four AWD

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
This is interesting and very expected. I figured that in addition to giving themselves a multi-use halo performance engine Toyota will eventually use its G16E-GTS 1.6L turbo I-3 in as many different vehicles as it can in order to further amortize its cost of development and recoup its total costs.

It would be great to see a 6-speed manual Lexus again but I think it will be far more likely for this model to see the new 8-speed automatic transmission that they've developed to work with this turbo engine and the GR-Four AWD system.

I can't say I'm interested in yet another crossover but if it helps to pad out the business case for continuing to offer the G16E-GTS engine and GR-Four system in more hardcore enthusiast vehicles for as long as possible then I hope they do well with this.

So far the engine is in the GR Yaris, GR Corolla, soon the next-gen GR86 (in RWD) according to rumors and now this.

To dream further for the best case scenario: All Toyota needs now is to throw it into a new internal combustion MR2, a Celica two door coupe and new Caldina five door wagon (the latter two both with the GR-Four AWD system). I'm not necessarily expecting all or any of those additional dream use cases but in a perfect scenario Toyota would do all of those while they can.

Sponsored