Manual Trans MKV Tuning Questions and (Hopefully) Answers Thread

shaloot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
Hi all, I've recently gotten a manual transmission MKV Supra and I've been doing research on what my tuning options are. I noticed that there were some other threads hitting this topic but they were specific to one type of tuning (Ecutek) and I'm wanting to have a thread for broader information on what MT Supra owner's tuning options are.

So really my question is, what are the tuning option for manual trans MKV Supra options at this point, and what are the pros and cons of each? I'll update this post as more info becomes available for others to refer to.
do you have any updates on your progress since this thread?
Sponsored

OP
OP
rammjaeger

rammjaeger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MKV Supra Manual, 1996 MKIV Supra Turbo 6 SPD
do you have any updates on your progress since this thread?
Hi Shaloot,

Happy to share my experience. Here is the list of performance mods I've done:

DME Femto unlocked via Euro Performance Center
Bootmod3 (BM3) OTS tune, Stage 2
Active Autowerke Catted Downpipe- GR Supra 20+
HKS DUAL MUFFLER for 2020+ TOYOTA SUPRA GR MKV A90 / A91
HKS Cold Air Intake Full Kit MKV Supra GR A90 / A91

According to BM3 this should be a 500-550HP build. I haven't had the car dynoed, but my "butt dyno" says that is pretty close. The car is significantly faster and more powerful. Really it feels just right, like the car should have came from the factory.

Almost everything works great. Engine runs smooth but is just so much more powerful. I've only encountered a couple of minor issues:

- The traction control doesn't work as well, as it wasn't designed for this power level. It actually feels easier to control from a dig without the traction control on now. With traction control on it feels like the car is fighting itself a bit, and getting more sideways at times.
- Every once in a while if I launch really hard I feel as though the clutch slips a little bit. So this setup feels like it's at the upper limit of what should be done on the stock clutch without upgrading. My plan has been to upgrade the clutch if/when this one wears out.

Hope that is helpful!

Supra MKV Fave 1.jpg

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Hi Shaloot,

According to BM3 this should be a 500-550HP build. I haven't had the car dynoed, but my "butt dyno" says that is pretty close. The car is significantly faster and more powerful. Really it feels just right, like the car should have came from the factory.

Almost everything works great. Engine runs smooth but is just so much more powerful. I've only encountered a couple of minor issues:

- The traction control doesn't work as well, as it wasn't designed for this power level. It actually feels easier to control from a dig without the traction control on now. With traction control on it feels like the car is fighting itself a bit, and getting more sideways at times.
- Every once in a while if I launch really hard I feel as though the clutch slips a little bit. So this setup feels like it's at the upper limit of what should be done on the stock clutch without upgrading. My plan has been to upgrade the clutch if/when this one wears out.

Hope that is helpful!

Supra MKV Fave 1.jpg
What fuel are you running?

OP
OP
rammjaeger

rammjaeger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What fuel are you running?
93 octane. I haven't gone flex fuel yet since I felt like the clutch was at it's power limits. I use the car as a daily driver as well, so didn't want to push too hard on the reliability.

DanzBurG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 MT Supra, '10 Yaris, '19 Fit
93 octane. I haven't gone flex fuel yet since I felt like the clutch was at it's power limits. I use the car as a daily driver as well, so didn't want to push too hard on the reliability.
Those power figures sound like crank numbers if you're on 93

OP
OP
rammjaeger

rammjaeger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Those power figures sound like crank numbers if you're on 93
Yep, as I mentioned above I’ve only “butt dynoed” the car since owning it and am going by BM3’s claims of “28% more HP and torque” with the 93 octane tune. Factory claims 382 at the crank, so that would be 489 HP at the crank. Stock 2021+ MKVs regularly dyno at 400+ HP at the crank, thus 500-550HP at the crank with BM3’s claims of “28% more HP and torque” on the 93 octane stage 2 tune. I’m not chasing numbers though, so haven’t felt it necessary to go dyno it. I know it’s WAY quicker now, and feels great. That’s enough for me.

Nocturnal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘23 MT Premium
Hi Shaloot,

How do you like the AA/HKS dual setup? How much louder do you feel it is over stock? Any drone? I’m seriously considering that same setup

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
How do you like the AA/HKS dual setup? How much louder do you feel it is over stock? Any drone? I’m seriously considering that same setup
Im on HKS intake, AA dp/Awe touring and the tone and volume is perfect. HKS dual muffler should be about the same

OP
OP
rammjaeger

rammjaeger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I love it. To give context, for a car like this that I daily I am not someone that wants their exhaust CRAZY loud. But the stock exhaust was too quiet for me, and the wasn't any BOV sounds with the stock intake. Now it feels about perfect for my tastes. It's louder than stock, and in sport mode when just driving around you can hear the exhaust, but I haven't noticed any drone and I drive the car a lot. In sport mode and with brisk accelleration its pretty loud to me and sounds great. With this setup I also get a little BOV "whoosh" that you can hear when letting off the throttle, especially with the windows down.

I will say, I do have a BOV kit I'm about to install because I wanted some more "whoosh" when letting off the throttle. It's the Burger Tuning BMS Elite BMW/Supra B58TU Charge Pipe Blow-Off Valve (BOV) Kit.

I can record some videos with a GoPro in the car if people want to hear what this setup sounds like.

Nocturnal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘23 MT Premium
I love it. To give context, for a car like this that I daily I am not someone that wants their exhaust CRAZY loud. But the stock exhaust was too quiet for me, and the wasn't any BOV sounds with the stock intake. Now it feels about perfect for my tastes. It's louder than stock, and in sport mode when just driving around you can hear the exhaust, but I haven't noticed any drone and I drive the car a lot. In sport mode and with brisk accelleration its pretty loud to me and sounds great. With this setup I also get a little BOV "whoosh" that you can hear when letting off the throttle, especially with the windows down.

I will say, I do have a BOV kit I'm about to install because I wanted some more "whoosh" when letting off the throttle. It's the Burger Tuning BMS Elite BMW/Supra B58TU Charge Pipe Blow-Off Valve (BOV) Kit.

I can record some videos with a GoPro in the car if people want to hear what this setup sounds like.
Im definitely interested in sound clips. I agree with you I don’t want an exhaust too loud. My ideal would be Normal Mode = Stock Sport Mode and then Sport mode would be something rowdier but not obnoxious.

Wumb0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra MT

A sound clip would be awesome!

mdpalmer

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT | 2001 DC2 Integra
Saw this the other day. Another data point for the 6MT folks. Comparing an s58 xdrive M3 to a 6MT Supra.

2:22 dyno strap down
4:34 recap

Supra reported to have Pure 800, meth injection, etc, not clear what exact fuel was used, what platform or engine management was used, what gear they did pulls in, what ambient conditions were etc car looked a little sloppy first couple pulls based on graph and the car bucking on the dyno. They claim dyno jet wheel numbers:

674 hp
648 ft-lb ("more than we'd like", "stock clutch... Last one to two weeks" 😂 😂 😂 )

1000008460.jpg
1000008459.jpg

And "potential" (not sure where he came up with this) for 750/750 with a clutch upgrade. Don't know how credible this person or shop is. They sell supra parts:
https://precision-sport.com/collections/supra-build-products

I believe the tuner is Cary Jordan, and there is a thread in this forum about them.
https://www.jordan-tuned.com/

Last edited:

Erty

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
The 530/597 is the e50 with a single 500cc jet m1 methanol, probably where the car is going to live for the time being. I will post 1/4 mile times when the weather warms up and keep updates on the stock clutch
How's the stock clutch holding up?

DGINR8supra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
How's the stock clutch holding up?
It held up to e40 for awhile, noticed slipping on the first pull on e50 meth so I was cautious with it. Definitely some material on the flywheel you can see in the picture. Like night and day from stock clutch to fx1000. That’s how the car should of came from the factory.
EC74764B-AFB6-43F2-9096-7FF60EB31817.jpeg
516DC9F2-A73E-4035-88F3-8F12D9BF1CC0.png
Sponsored