Need help with MHD tune error on ECU made in 2019 (Failed to write ECU)

SRPH1495

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Launch Edition, 2003 SL 55 AMG
I purchased my vehicle December 15, 2021. It is a 2020 Launch edition. I have just now gone to tune my vehicle with an MHD OTS map and I am receiving an error that stops flashing the ECU at 2-3% every time. The ECU build date is 2019.02.09 which is why I am confused, as the DME unlock check is saying that a bench unlock is required. If anyone has any ideas about what to do I would greatly appreciate it! I am wondering if it is possible that the dealership could have locked my ECU with a later patch.

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0540.png

image_2022-10-14_111901243.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
SRPH1495

SRPH1495

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ugh I was so hoping it was just a software error and maybe by the grace of god I didn't have to do that because its my daily lol. I don't even know where to start with getting that done. Thank you for the quick reply.

OP
OP
SRPH1495

SRPH1495

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Was going to go ecutek but I didn't know where to start with that as I live in the middle of nowhere so I don't have a place I can take it to in order to have my car tuned.

MR_X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra, 2016 Macan Turbo, 2010 M3
Was going to go ecutek but I didn't know where to start with that as I live in the middle of nowhere so I don't have a place I can take it to in order to have my car tuned.
You will still need to have a bench unlock. I had Kies Motorsport do mine. Had it back the 2 days later. Shipped it Monday, had it back by Wednesday.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
ugh I was so hoping it was just a software error and maybe by the grace of god I didn't have to do that because its my daily lol. I don't even know where to start with getting that done. Thank you for the quick reply.
Just do it remotely... then you don't have any downtime.

Levanime

First Name
Levan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bimecu.com
Car(s)
BMW
Unlock depends on DME production date and software update in it,
You can check it with MHD app, "Unlock Check" button, it doesn't need a license,

More info:

There are two types of locks

1) First type - Let's call it "software lock", DMEs produced before 06.2020 (except a few exceptions) that are updated by dealer, have software from BMW that blocks tuning from the OBD2 port. "Bench Unlock" modifies that lock, so it Opens it, and you can flash it with tuning apps

2) Second type - Let's call it "hardware lock"(not true but easier to imagine) - DMEs produced after 06.2020 they can not be "bench unlocked" like older DMEs. Right now, only one company, FEMTO, residing in Finland, can unlock them, so you need to ship the DME to them. Once it's unlocked, you can again flash it with tuning apps. The only limitation with the second method is that with FEMTO unlock, you can tune calibrations only, which means no program changes that are necessary for map switch, flexfuel integration, etc.
Sponsored