New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Not sure if everyone caught this or if it's already known info but saw this earlier from Jalopnik.

The 2019 Toyota Supra Will Have Torque on Par With a Lexus F but Weigh Less

Since Toyota won’t just spit it out and show us the car, we get to learn one fact about the 2019 Toyota Supra at a time, slowly piecing it all together like a giant jigsaw puzzle no one asked for. The fact of the week is that the Supra will likely have torque on par with the Lexus F cars but weigh 400 to 600 pounds less.

(We’re referring to the Supra as a 2019 car because it’s scheduled to go on sale in the first half of 2019, but when asked by Jalopnik, a Toyota spokesperson would not say which model year the new Supra will be. The spokesperson also declined to comment on this report.)

Because “torque on par with the Lexus F cars” doesn’t come right out and say it, the numbers are around 400 lb-ft of torque in Lexus’ performance lineup. That performance lineup also weighs around 3,700 to 4,000 pounds, and the chief engineer on the new Supra, Tetsuya Tada, told Autocar that the car will weigh about 440 to 660 pounds less than the ones in the Lexus F lineup.

Here’s what he said, according to the story:

“I can’t disclose specific figures, but the output of this engine is on a par with that which we have with the F-Series from Lexus,” Tada said. The RC-F and GS-F make 389lb ft. He continued: “But you can imagine from seeing it that the car is light and compact – its wheelbase is even shorter than the GT86’s. It’s around 200-300kg lighter than the F-Series [which weighs around 1700-1800kg].”

This backs information recently leaked onto the web that claimed that the Supra will weigh 1496kg, making it 250kg heavier than the GT86 and 14kg lighter than the fourth-generation Supra, which went out of production in 2002. This would also make the car 14kg lighter than a PDK-equipped Porsche 911 Carrera S, with which the Supra’s expected 0-62mph time of 3.8sec would make it most comparable.

Less weight and a high-performance engine is always a good thing, even though Autocar only got hints about torque from Tada—not power. Toyota confirmed last week in its remarkably slow Supra rollout that the car will keep the tradition of an inline-six engine and rear-wheel drive, but that was enough information for then, and nothing further was said about what that engine could do.

The slow, trickled rollout of the new Supra started at the Geneva Motor Show in March, when Toyota debuted a concept race car to announce Supra production and released no actual power specs on it—to the point that we all had to learn its 591-horsepower figure from Gran Turismo Sport.

No real information about the production car came out for months, until Toyota announced that it would debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed last week. A Supra came out in a camouflage wrap, referred to by Toyota as a “development” model. Then, we got the hints of torque and weight numbers from Tada in an Autocar report over the weekend.

Four months after Toyota said the car was a go, we now know: There is a Supra, it’ll eventually lose the camo, it’ll have torque near Lexus F levels but weigh a lot less, it has an inline-six, it’s RWD, there’s almost no way it’ll get a manual transmission, and it’ll come onto the market during the first half of 2019.

Wouldn’t it have just been easier to come right out and say that—all at once?
Sponsored

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure if everyone caught this or if it's already known info but saw this earlier from Jalopnik.
Already posted, without the anti toyota pen of jalopnik seeping through :lol:

Someone save this for the reveal if everything being said comes true about this car so jalopnik writes like :spaz:

tarpatel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
my mom's camry
If you rather 100 percent Toyota, then be ready to cough up 80 to 100k for the same type of car where it would be DOA.

But hey, it would no doubt be a full toyota product!!!

i find your numbers don't make sense to me.

I, for one, would be very happy with a manual RC-F and de-luxuryfied and lightened. that car is 100% Toyota isn't it? And I don't see that kind of car to cost 80K-100k? maybe that is a question for A70?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i find your numbers don't make sense to me.

I, for one, would be very happy with a manual RC-F and de-luxuryfied and lightened. that car is 100% Toyota isn't it? And I don't see that kind of car to cost 80K-100k? maybe that is a question for A70?
New drivetrain, engine, chassis, the whole nine yards while somehow making it a race car from tbe top end to a street car to the bottom..

I don't know cost so A70 can have a realistic number but I am assuming an extra 25k markup to the car already. The rcf might have an underbody that is ridiculously engineered and heavy weight wise.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
I dont think a lot of you understand how automotive manufacturing works.

This Is a niche car. It would cost Toyota a fortune in tooling, R&D, design, engineering and so on to take it on the self. The supra alone will not move large enough numbers to make it near cost effective

Sure you can look at what an RC-F costs and say well if they can give this much hp and this much weight and take out the luxo stuff it should cost however much cheaper.

But you are forgetting so much of that price is absorbed by the numbers of cars they sell. The amount of Lexus RC cars sold allows them to bring that overall cost down from it it was a niche car like the Supra.

You cant compare them for pricing and hope Toyota could do it alone for that price. In this day and age that would never happen unless they manufacturer wanted to take a huge loss just for the name.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
not sure what to say really, only that many things could have gone differently, but I really try to not discuss could of, would of, should of scenarios anymore because they ultimately achieve very little.

I will say that while many seem to praise Lexus, I have far more disagreements with decisions made on that side than anything, like the transmissions we have been given since the introduction of the F line (AWFUL). There is also the ridiculous curb weights, but all of that is because they can get away with it for primarily luxury buyers that want reliability and technology over all else.

The numbers indicate people are plenty content with things as-is too, at least in relative terms, though I heard the RC-F isn't selling well lately (haven't confirmed that). Speaking of which, many reviewers say the M4 is the more desirable car and I'd have to agree 100% based on weight and transmission, so this BMW/Supra crossover event may ultimately be far better than a Toyota only car.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
not sure what to say really, only that many things could have gone differently, but I really try to not discuss could of, would of, should of scenarios anymore because they ultimately achieve very little.

I will say that while many seem to praise Lexus, I have far more disagreements with decisions made on that side than anything, like the transmissions we have been given since the introduction of the F line (AWFUL). There is also the ridiculous curb weights, but all of that is because they can get away with it for primarily luxury buyers that want reliability and technology over all else.

The numbers indicate people are plenty content with things as-is too, at least in relative terms, though I heard the RC-F isn't selling well lately (haven't confirmed that). Speaking of which, many reviewers say the M4 is the more desirable car and I'd have to agree 100% based on weight and transmission, so this BMW/Supra crossover event may ultimately be far better than a Toyota only car.
At work but a guy named Doug Demuro who has a following reviewed the RC-F on YouTube.

He basically summed up the RC-F buyers as such. There is a perfect person for this car. Someone who wants M4 performance but without harsh riding, quick steering etc... A comfortable cruiser with straight line power because it won't be getting tracked. Potentially for people who are too OLD for the M4.

Summed it up well.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
yeah, I watched his review and more or less agreed with his sentiments, specifically that weight and the sluggish trans ruin what that car could be.

shave 6-700lbs off that thing, same P/W ratio, and give me a ZF8 and I'd be good to go... then you realize that's the new Supra in a nutshell.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yeah, I watched his review and more or less agreed with his sentiments, specifically that weight and the sluggish trans ruin what that car could be.

shave 6-700lbs off that thing, same P/W ratio, and give me a ZF8 and I'd be good to go... then you realize that's the new Supra in a nutshell.
Want him to review the supra, preferably on a race track so he doesn't get a ticket like the end of his bugatti review

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
I wonder why a company who's image revolves around reliability would do 4 years of extensive testing with parts from a company that has reliability issues?

I just can't understand it...

:hmm:
I think you completely missed my point. New products, like for like are always with the intent to improve on. In this case it’s questionable if it’s even an evolution of the same product. That’s where all the frustration is because people love the A80. I think Toyota should have used a different name for this car and my excitement level would have been much higher, even with all the bmw parts.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think you completely missed my point. New products, like for like are always with the intent to improve on. In this case it’s questionable if it’s even an evolution of the same product. That’s where all the frustration is because people love the A80. I think Toyota should have used a different name for this car and my excitement level would have been much higher, even with all the bmw parts.
Hm, A80 was a GT car and a bloated one with totl features and design.

A90 will be a pure bred sports car thanks to the public altering the A80 from years of aftermarket mods and 1000hp drag monsters.

I don't see what they missed here. If you have read what they got planned, it suggests there will not be disappointment

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo

A90 will be a pure bred sports car thanks to the public altering the A80 from years of aftermarket mods and 1000hp drag monsters.

I don't see what they missed here. If you have read what they got planned, it suggests there will not be disappointment
There is a lot in your statement that is exactly why I have my worries with the new one. The A80 was a daily driver and a beast, it was whatever you wanted it to be, you had options. The A90 sounds like a one trick pony. I truly believe it will be a fun car with great performance but it’s too different than what a Supra is all about. It is not progression, it’s a reimagining. It is not all about performance numbers for everyone, we all know it will be fast. If you haven’t owned an A80 you will never fully understand.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
There is a lot in your statement that is exactly why I have my worries with the new one. The A80 was a daily driver and a beast, it was whatever you wanted it to be, you had options. The A90 sounds like a one trick pony. I truly believe it will be a fun car with great performance but it’s too different than what a Supra is all about. It is not progression, it’s a reimagining. It is not all about performance numbers for everyone, we all know it will be fast. If you haven’t owned an A80 you will never fully understand.
How?!?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was born roughly when the car started its first year run in the states so I never owned one. Couldn't have owned one. This car will be a supra whether you like it or not. It should turn as well as a porsche can, have aftermarket support and still be a great drive. I hear the ride is harsh but other than that, it is what it is. I trust a guy who took the time to ask fans what a new gen supra needs to be, while owning one and speaking with his mentor who was the chief engineer for the a80..

And if a 3300 lb trim will come at 62k called the rz, that might be the grand touring trim you might be looking for. I rather you know this now then be disappointed later.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo

Btw, you didn’t need 1,000 horsepower to make a Supra fast. Most were tuned to 400hp+ and were smoking most cars on the road, I know I did. The investment to get to those numbers was a joke too. The Mkiv was an incredible performer for its time, even in stock configuration, go back and look up the articles and see what cars it was really competing with. The aftermarket made it that much more of a beast. Just saying, the Supra in stock form is what got everyone’s attention, the aftermarket took it to a whole new level.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.