So Long Partner/SupraMKV

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
I've got a BMW M4 in BSM / Fiona Red interior on order from my brothers dealership. Still not 100% sure i'm going to take it, but with a 6 month wait, I have plenty of time to decide. I drove one for 20-30 miles and I absolutely loved the car. It's definitely heavier than the F80 and feels that way, but the sound, interior, and just comfort make up for it.

Unless I can convince the wife to somehow keep 2 coupes... one will have to go. I guess it'll depend on how much money I wanna be spending when the time comes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dkim3

dkim3

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 2021
Can you report back with a comparison review between the two? Iā€™m interested in the G80 M3 post LCI, so Iā€™ve been keeping an eye on them.

Any details on the deal? MSRP or more?
So far (300 miles), the car is just so much fun, and that's with it in comfort mode with just the engine in sport setting. It's most likely due to the manual transmission as I have an affinity for mt. The combo of mt with the carbon bucket seats is sublime. It makes every drive feel special. Add in all of the creature comforts, such as the wireless android auto, the M3 so far is everything that I ever wanted. Fun and Practical car. Oh and the best part, the power trunk is so underrated coming from a Supra, lol.

However, just from the initial 300 mile stint, I can tell that the Supra is better at handling and time attack/autocross runs. By no means is the M3 not capable, it's just the manual will always be slower (good thing that is not the reason why I bought this car).

The stock sound is a toss up for me. I love it when I hear the shotgun pops from the exhaust when I drive the Supra hard. I haven't been able to hear that from the M3, but I still haven't driven it hard yet so, who knows maybe it can produce it as well. I do love the M3's low end sound. The twin turbo definitely makes a different sound compared to the single turbo Supra. It's more lower tone and when you rev it around 4k, it sounds quite nice. I say it's a toss up because they both just sound so good stock.

MPG wise... Supra just wins hands down, lol. When I drove my Supra from GA to NC, I got 30 MPG hwy. M3 going from NC to GA, 20 MPG hwy.

As for the deal, I got it at MSRP. The only markup was paying for dealer added options, which in total was 1200. I will say though that buying the M3 from Hendrick BMW Northlake in NC was my best car buying experience to date. Sales, finance and manager was all good people to work with. No BS talks and straight to the point. They let me sit in a customers car (BMW M5 CS) that was about to be delivered. They even gave me a goodie bag full of BMW M swag, which was nice. If anyone is in NC looking for a BMW, I'd say give Hendrick BMW Northlake a call.

I'll keep this thread updated post 1200 mile mark and give my review after break in. Taking her up the mountains will definitely let me give a more comprehensive performance review.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
So jealous. That color spec is just wow. I got to see one in person at the nasa event, green, but my God do they look sexy in person.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
@dkim3 How about the audio/stereo quality? Obviously, the Supra is lacking. Iā€™m hoping the M delivers on this ā€œconvenience/comfortā€ item.

OP
OP
dkim3

dkim3

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 2021
@dkim3 How about the audio/stereo quality? Obviously, the Supra is lacking. Iā€™m hoping the M delivers on this ā€œconvenience/comfortā€ item.
I'd say the audio quality is quite good.
If Supra is a 5/10, I'd give the M3 a solid 8/10.

E46M3forRay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991.1 GT3 / F87 M2 CS
Thatā€™s a nice build sheet on the g80. From a BMW to another BMW .. congrats ! Everything else on the g8x looks really good and I have yet to adjust the looks of the front. Still have that oof moment when I see one. Perhaps once the m4 cs or csl is finally out, might be the day I may put an allocation in.

Wj100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium, 22 BMW X3 M40i, 02 Miata SE
Definitely a nice spec, congrats! I got tired of waiting for an allocation on a G80 Comp Xdrive and traded my Alfa Giulia QV on a 22 Supra about 10 days ago. I'm happy with the Supra so far and the roughly 500 pound weight advantage over the M3. That said, having owned E90 and F82 M cars, the Supra is definitely an M-Lite, but I knew this when I bought it. I still have my deposit in on the G80 but thinking about moving it over to get in line for a G87 M2. Please keep us posted on your comparison opinions!

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Awesome swap, considering it when the LCI comes out in 2 or so years. Def doing a Manual. This is an amazing spec, exec with the leds and the full leather!

OP
OP
dkim3

dkim3

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 2021
July 2022 Update

Finally crossed over the 1200 mileage mark and got the car it's break-in service. The very next weekend I took the car up to Blood Mountain (north ga mt's). I took my Supra up here as well a few times to carve up some mt roads.

Where the Supra just wins
- Since it is a two seater and weighs less than the M3, the agility of the Supra on the mountain roads is quite bliss.
- The automatic gear box of the Supra is responsive enough to tackle long straights then long twisty roads.
- Loved the stock exhaust note bouncing around the mt. hills, and the occasional shotgun blast.
- Cruising back home on the highway, loved getting 25+ mpg on the highway.

Where the M3 just wins
- The power... there are good amount of straight line roads and when I put the power down, man this thing just goes! Reached a top speed of 136 in a blink of an eye starting from 2nd gear out of a turn.
- Even though it weighs more than the Supra, it tackles corners just as well.
- Stopping power is on point, along with the power it outputs. Even with steel breaks, the confidence in breaking after 2 hours of mt roads was still present. Never felt the breaks fade, unlike my friends cars they were struggling to keep up and had to watch their brakes after an hour. I'm sure with Carbon Ceramics, this car can go hours around the mt.
- I LOVE THE CARBON BUCKET SEATS. My god, where have you been all my life. The seats on the Supra is well bolstered and will be fine, don't get me wrong, but the carbon buckets are a must to get the full potential out of the M3.
- I'm glad I got the base M3 with the manual gearbox. Oh how I missed throwing the gears and just holding 2nd 3rd gear till it hit 100+ and then shifting to 3rd 4th for more power. Maybe I'm one of the few who enjoys the auto rev match feature but man am I glad I have it. I'm not the most skilled at heel+toe and I don't want to try and do it myself as I'm sure I would kill the clutch way faster that way. The auto rev match lets me downshift easily and without worrying about killing my clutch.
- No wind buffeting, lol
- Exhaust sounds nice as well. I wasn't able to hear it as much but my friends behind me kept saying stuff like, 'your exhaust sounds so nice when you push it'.

Overall, Supra is easy and fun to drive. The M3 Base takes a bit more effort with its larger weight but does not fall behind the Supra, and passes the Supra in almost all other categories.

Last edited:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I did not know this would turn into a one man (or person since 2022) ding dong show.. :crazy: