Supra Nurburgring Time?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Surely that has to be whoā€™s driving, stock tires, vs track tires. I pass type Rs all over my local tracks. Pay me to give it a try. Iā€™ll do it šŸ˜œ. If/when Toyota decides to put a pro driver with R compound on the track, Iā€™d love to see those times šŸ˜ƒ

Last edited:

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
The original Nurburgring time was in 2019 prior to the horsepower bump, suspension revisions, etc. An official time hasnā€™t been recorded since then, however the 2021-2023 Supras have seen modest track time improvements elsewhere in the world.

Itā€™s hard to estimate exactly where that would put the freshest iteration of Supra on the Ringā€™, but Iā€™d imagine itā€™s around the original 7:40 that Tetsuya Tada expected. Though, I donā€™t think focusing on the ring is always a great idea - too many manufactures just build cars for the ring (and not the real world).

Also, I think anyone 20-23ā€™ can get great times by a few simple mods and tuning. Supras have the right formula, just needs some enthusiast tweaking here and there.

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/gsbz5tloobl0

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The original Nurburgring time was in 2019 prior to the horsepower bump, suspension revisions, etc. An official time hasnā€™t been recorded since then, however the 2021-2023 Supras have seen modest track time improvements elsewhere in the world.

Itā€™s hard to estimate exactly where that would put the freshest iteration of Supra on the Ringā€™, but Iā€™d imagine itā€™s around the original 7:40 that Tetsuya Tada expected. Though, I donā€™t think focusing on the ring is always a great idea - too many manufactures just build cars for the ring (and not the real world).

Also, I think anyone 20-23ā€™ can get great times by a few simple mods and tuning. Supras have the right formula, just needs some enthusiast tweaking here and there.

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/gsbz5tloobl0
Wow. I didnā€™t know it was that much of a difference in specs. This Supra is quite capable. I do love Honda and their products. S2K still on my mind. The Type R is great and much respect (but not for its Nurburgring times however).

Local buddy has a stock 2020 Supra and Iā€™m almost reaching his times. Heā€™s definitely the better driver than all of us Supra drivers down here in FL. Iā€™m almost there. Even then, my car is inherently faster being a 2022 with SPL parts. Yet heā€™s still faster šŸ˜œ

So yeah, that being said, I love seeing even a step further with pro drivers (times) at various tracks in our Supras. Another friend is currently driving a sweet race Porsche in WRL and another team with the Supra is killing it! The Type R is just not in the same league to produce Supra/Porsche/Vette lap times. Personal preference and what you want to do with the car is what itā€™s all about. Canā€™t wait till you get yours @Imfao šŸ˜ƒ

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
Local buddy has a stock 2020 Supra and Iā€™m almost reaching his times. Heā€™s definitely the better driver than all of us Supra drivers down here in FL. Iā€™m almost there. Even then, my car is inherently faster being a 2022 with SPL parts. Yet heā€™s still faster šŸ˜œ
A fast driver in a slow car will ALWAYS be faster than a slow driver in a fast car.

Thats why spec miatas with their 160hp pass me regularly.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
The Type R is just not in the same league to produce Supra/Porsche/Vette lap times.
According to the link provided in one of the posts above, The old Type R actually bests the Supra on both Virginia and Dunville.. as well as the Nurburgring! šŸ˜¬

I know there's a bunch of variables.. but its certainly something to think about.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
According to the link provided in one of the posts above, The old Type R actually bests the Supra on both Virginia and Dunville.. as well as the Nurburgring! šŸ˜¬

I know there's a bunch of variables.. but its certainly something to think about.
Lots of variables. The Lap times posted are never going to be apples to apples when the driver mod is considered.

in regards to the Type R at the ring. Take a look at this thread.
https://fastestlaps.com/articles/is...g-nordschleife-front-wheel-drive-record-legit

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think theyā€™re great too. Just havenā€™t seen a fast one on track. Yetā€¦

They definitely donā€™t have the grunt ours does out of an apex. Pretty easy to overtake. And theyā€™re not at MX5 weight in the corners. Butā€¦ they do look good in my rear view mirrors.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think theyā€™re great too. Just havenā€™t seen a fast one on track. Yetā€¦

They definitely donā€™t have the grunt ours does out of an apex. Pretty easy to overtake. And theyā€™re not at MX5 weight in the corners. Butā€¦ they do look good in my rear view mirrors.
Theres a black one on bronze titan 7 wheels at sebring pretty often when im there. he is crazy fast.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I guess what I'm saying is that I expected the Supra to be in a higher league to the Type R, but it sure doesn't seem like it's.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I guess what I'm saying is that I expected the Supra to be in a higher league to the Type R, but it sure doesn't seem like it's.
Im actuallly not surprised the 2020 is a similar time to a Type R. If for no other reason than the high speed bump steer. Lots of high speed corners at the Nurburgring means lots of places to deal with that. Maybe they will take a newer spec. Or maybe someone in Germany who tracks their supra will set a time with a modified car.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Put me in coach šŸ™‹šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

7f61ef6f-2157-4b56-9979-f3be0b410057.jpeg

Updated local BMW leader board at Sebring. Lots of disparity. The cool guy running it added @1slow_mk5 up top. In his locked 2020 šŸ˜œ

Where the Type R fits, good question. I just havenā€™t see any running sub 2:35s yetā€¦

Maybe @Rocksandblues sees more at VIR?

Last edited:

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
This has been driving me insane for two years now! During other track (road course) tests, the 2021 kind of beat the piss out of the 2020, but several of the biggest publications haven't bothered to re-test the updated cars for their leaderboards, nor has Toyota felt like publishing 'ring times, even though they've been there with every version of the car. Based on some other tests, the 23 MT might even be a bit faster than the 23 AT on certain courses, simply due to gearing, but until more people feel like putting the work in, we'll never know.
Sponsored