Supra versus Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Hey all, did a test drive of a loaded 2021 Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0 and wanted to share driving impressions while they were still fresh if anyone considering selling or trading in for the BGTS (or CGTS) w/the flat six.

Pros
Flat six howl is epic, both on start up and in high revs. Interior is a big step up in luxury and materials (burgundy leather and aluminum). Mid corner rotation is really interesting and seems to get better the more u push it. Tonneau cover seemed high quality and even tho beat on 43k miles with prior owner who probably didn't treat it right, it still had road presence and drove like stink.

Cons
Suspension and NVH are big step down from Supra AVS, probably because it was on 20s and lowered 10mm PASM. Mid corner bumps unsettled whole chassis and unpleasant to drive on grooved or bumpy surfaces. U can only really rev it out once and then ur kinda done on public roads. Steering feel from EPS was good, but wasn't epic as journos made it seem. Lastly even tho it was loaded all that stuff cost lots extra and r standard on Supra.

Verdict
Great car but not worthy of selling Supra for. Harsh suspension was deal breaker, and B58 provides more fun at low RPMs which is how I mostly drive on public roads. Interior is terrific but could spec out lower trim version, for less money. 7 SPD PDK is really outstanding trans, but ZF8HP is tuned very closely. I suspect the BMW Z4 m40i would also be a more compelling alternative to BGTS.

IMG20230630204146.jpg
IMG20240128160108.jpg
Sponsored

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
U can only really rev it out once and then ur kinda done on public roads
This is how I feel about the N/A Porsches I’ve driven. They’re amazing machines, but I can’t imagine having more fun daily with their high rpm n/a engines vs. powerful turbo’d engines. I’d need a week or so to test my theory.

OP
OP
Schang105

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yea the flat six has a really mechanical old school feeling where u have to find the power...it's there, but u gotta really kick the horse (bad analogy but u know what I mean).

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
This is how I feel about the N/A Porsches I’ve driven. They’re amazing machines, but I can’t imagine having more fun daily with their high rpm n/a engines vs. powerful turbo’d engines. I’d need a week or so to test my theory.
I'll counter with: N/A cars that scream up top and love revving are God's gift to cars. Yeah, turbo cars are great, make cool noises, and can be torquey if the turbo is small enough.... but... a screaming N/A just can't be beat.
I've had two, different cars with V8s that revved to 8500RPM. I still have one. Driving either is infinitely more fun than the Supra (which is why it's now listed on AutoTrader LOL). Do I miss the Supra's torque? Yes. But it lacks the sounds of intakes sucking air, inches away from my head and that screaming Capristo exhaust of my current toy. Especially while going through tunnels :D

This is only to about 5-6k, but trust me: she sounds great! I think the intake noises get me the most.

OP
OP
Schang105

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nice! That's a great sound there. Yea I think if high revs r ur persuasion, the BGTS flat six solves it.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
ooof that color combination (imo):thumbsdown:. And I agree with your statements about it not being worth selling the Supra for. I think the Supra is a hard car to beat for the money and these close Porsche alternatives are still over priced, even in the used market.

OP
OP
Schang105

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Love that Python Green! That color would look gr8 on the Supra.

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
Nice write up.

No surprises that a track-focused Porsche is not as fun on the street as street-focused sports car. I think a Cayman S is probably a better direct competitor for someone who wants to drive primarily on the street.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Verdict
Great car but not worthy of selling Supra for. Harsh suspension was deal breaker, and B58 provides more fun at low RPMs which is how I mostly drive on public roads.
This is exactly how I felt getting out of a GT350 and into a Supra. Nothing compares to taking the GT350 to the 8250RPM redline and then shifting and doing it again. Unfortunately, you shift into third gear at 83 MPH in the GT350 if you do that, and there's nobody home in terms of torque on that engine under about 4000RPM.

Meanwhile the B58 just has torque everywhere in the rev range. The aggregate fun is higher than the GT350 even if the peak fun isn't.
Sponsored