Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Will it be called "Celica" in the U.S.?

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/260756
I hope they just continue with "GT86" or "GR86" and allow the "Celica" name to come back with completely different budget sportscar once the 2nd generation BRZ/86 can no longer be sold. Those cars have their own legacy and connection to the old AE86.

Interesting news in that article about the Corolla Sport GRMN with the 1.6L GR Yaris 4WD drivetrain and a Corolla Touring (wagon) in addition in the Japanese market. They seem to suggest that while GR will "develop" the turbo Corolla's chassis to work with the GR Yaris driveline it won't be intended as quite the hardcore homologation rally special that the GR Yaris is.

But from the sound of it that could just mean that it's because they know the Corolla hatchback body is a five door and is a few hundred pounds heavier and thus won't have the same type of super lightweight competition rally ready feel. My guess only there.

There was apparently an MR2 project that was halted and now there is a new MR2 project which is, for Japan anyway, set to be in the 10M Japanese Yen ballpark (about $91k USD!!!). That suggests to me that whatever they're doing with the MR2 as an EV or hybrid EV is probably going to use something exotic (solid state batteries perhaps?) in its powertrain or maybe that it has to become a more GT-like version of what the 1990-1999 SW20 MR2 was in order to meet whatever performance specs they're trying to hit for it.

Or maybe they just don't want to overlap with sales of the GT86/GR86 so they're taking the MR2 way up into near exotic territory at a $91k USD price point.

If that's the case maybe they see the lineup (U.S.) in the near future as being:

GT86/GR86
Corolla Sport GRMN (1.6L turbo 3cyl, AWD, 6-speed, optional Torsen LSDs)
GR Supra + limited Supra GRMN

And maybe the future lineup slightly further out will be:

GR Celica (hybrid)
GR Supra (as an eventual hybrid A100?? One hopes it will continue on...)
GR MR2 (Hybrid or full EV)

No mention of the Supra in this article though.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
What else it could be if not GR86?
-The EV is supposed to be revealed this year but would it be marketed under GR? The emphasis is put quite heavily on GR since there is president of Gazoo Racing speaking on the event.
-The AWD hatch they are making together, not much is known about it, no mules spied. Would fit under GR badging but isnt it too mysterious atm for such sudden reveal?

And there is new 86. Patent bumpers already leaked months ago, BRZ is already revealed, there isnt really much to hide at this point. We pretty much know how 90% of the car will look like.

But yes, the tease picture is a bit missleading, the lines are not matching. Maybe weird angle?

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
The last line in that Carscoops article stating that “a Subaru/Toyota hatch could be the promised hatch to the U.S.” bothers me. Imagine after Toyota building a highly praised hatch, completely in house, they sell us a Subie hatch.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Link to the official site.

https://www.subaru.jp/together/

If it's the GR86 wouldn't it make more sense to post it on Toyota's site?
If not 86 than it has to be new performance hot hatch I guess. Thats not super unlikely. But it was supposed to debut in fall 2022.
Time will tell, below 2 weeks left ;)

Last edited:

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
Awesome license plate idea for whoever gets this ar... "GR8_6"

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
It's more than likely gonna be the 86! Sato-san will be presenting, and I don't believe that GR is working with Subaru on anything else...

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Subaru STI drivetrain in a Toyota.

The Celica GR-Four!

I would put a deposit down, IMMEDIATELY.
If this actually happened, and it was basically a 2-door STi, yeah I'd be on board as well! But tbh, I'd rather just have the GR Yaris/GR Corolla. Pure Toyota products always just have a different feel.