Vibrating sound on WOT from rear hatch

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
I know there numerous threads regarding issues with vibrations and rattles with this car but I’ve not seen any addressing one I’ve had. On WOT or right before it upshifts to a higher gear I get this vibrating sounds that appears to come from the rear hatch. I have tightened the center brace behind the seats and I also added additional foam tape to the third brake light cover. Can anyone help me out here? I fixed all the other rattles and what I couldn’t is easily drowned out by my louder exhaust. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to offer help.
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I know there numerous threads regarding issues with vibrations and rattles with this car but I’ve not seen any addressing one I’ve had. On WOT or right before it upshifts to a higher gear I get this vibrating sounds that appears to come from the rear hatch. I have tightened the center brace behind the seats and I also added additional foam tape to the third brake light cover. Can anyone help me out here? I fixed all the other rattles and what I couldn’t is easily drowned out by my louder exhaust. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to offer help.
It may be the the rear hatch striker needs to be adjusted to pull the hatch down tighter on the seal and keep it a bit tighter. Here's the manual ref.

Phil

Screenshot 2023-11-29 142006.png

OP
OP
Andrew__a90

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It may be the the rear hatch striker needs to be adjusted to pull the hatch down tighter on the seal and keep it a bit tighter. Here's the manual ref.

Phil

Screenshot 2023-11-29 142006.png
That's interesting, I will have to try this out. I would think this is something that could cause that vibration at WOT.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I see lucky phil finally found a service manual.

That said, an easier and faster adjustment would to turn the little rubber stoppers above the tailights on each side and see if that helps first.

OP
OP
Andrew__a90

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

That said, an easier and faster adjustment would to turn the little rubber stoppers above the tailights on each side and see if that helps first.
I will give this a shot too, now that I think about it I don’t remember hearing this sound before I messed with them and raised them higher. I did this to fix the issue of the hatch latching back when you shut the door but I’d much rather have that than the vibration. However, I have added an exhaust and downpipe which greatly raised the levels of vibration my exhaust produced. This could totally be my fault but I feel like I could do something to reinforce or pad whatever is making the sound. Thanks for your suggestion!

OP
OP
Andrew__a90

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

So I readjusted them and it seems like the vibration is still there but much quieter, like I really have to listen to it. Doing this did bring back the stupid latching trunk issue but I’d rather have to pop my key out then listen to the trumpets of Jericho when I’m smashing the gas. Thanks for the suggestion! It’s not perfect but I’m happy enough with it 🤣

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
So I readjusted them and it seems like the vibration is still there but much quieter, like I really have to listen to it. Doing this did bring back the stupid latching trunk issue but I’d rather have to pop my key out then listen to the trumpets of Jericho when I’m smashing the gas. Thanks for the suggestion! It’s not perfect but I’m happy enough with it 🤣
Well, at least you now know were it's coming from! Maybe adjust them even more to see if it continues to go away?

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
What are people doing to fix vibrations from the cargo cover? Taking it out and setting it on fire? I think either that or the hatch itself is vibrating a bit in my car.

When I drove this car 500+ miles home after purchase I can recall how quiet and rattle free it was. I thought to myself that I had dodged the bullet on that issue. Now every time I drive the car I feel like I notice a new annoying sound. Haha! :cry:

OP
OP
Andrew__a90

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What are people doing to fix vibrations from the cargo cover? Taking it out and setting it on fire? I think either that or the hatch itself is vibrating a bit in my car.

When I drove this car 500+ miles home after purchase I can recall how quiet and rattle free it was. I thought to myself that I had dodged the bullet on that issue. Now every time I drive the car I feel like I notice a new annoying sound. Haha! :cry:
I promise you it’s the hatch and not the cover, it may be the cover on the third break light as that seems to easy fall apart. I never had an issue with the cargo cover but some people put felt around the front two prongs where it slides in. You cannot felt wrap the rear two prongs as it won’t slide into the two clips like it’s supposed to.

OP
OP
Andrew__a90

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, at least you now know were it's coming from! Maybe adjust them even more to see if it continues to go away?
My only concern is if I adjust them any further it seems there would be no gap between trunk which could potentially cause contact between the upper and lower part of the hatch. I could be wrong, I also think part of it is having an aftermarket exhaust and downpipe which will inevitably cause a lot more vibrating.

OP
OP
Andrew__a90

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Welp never mind this didn’t fix it, it’s the general area near the seatbelt and passenger door panel. This vibration at 3,000 RPM or WOT just won’t let up and I have no idea how to fix it. I’m going to the dealer to get my oil changed and doing a ride along. This one sound drives me up a wall, I hate that I don’t know where it is or what causes it. Hopefully the dealer can help but at the same time I don’t want them ripping my car apart and potentially breaking things.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Welp never mind this didn’t fix it, it’s the general area near the seatbelt and passenger door panel. This vibration at 3,000 RPM or WOT just won’t let up and I have no idea how to fix it. I’m going to the dealer to get my oil changed and doing a ride along. This one sound drives me up a wall, I hate that I don’t know where it is or what causes it. Hopefully the dealer can help but at the same time I don’t want them ripping my car apart and potentially breaking things.
Check the aluminum vanity bar

OP
OP
Andrew__a90

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Check the aluminum vanity bar
I’ve held it down and pressed on it like others mentioned and this has no effect on it. I’ve also seen people saying the black clips at both ends can rattle so maybe that’s my next spot
Sponsored