Suspension Help - Clicking Noise Post Whiteline Spring Install

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Was hoping someone had some advice here. I had a local high performance shop install the Whiteline lowering springs and align the car. I initially got the car back and it was making a very loud ticking noise at all speeds ONLY when moving straight / forward. After a week it went back to the shop where they aligned the car and addressed the noise. Unfortunately itā€™s identical to before. It only happens when moving straight forward. Attached a video of the car literally rolling in Neutral out of the garage. Doesnā€™t make the noise in reverse or when rolling backwards. No change in noise between sport and standard mode.

Shop had had the car three times now, to no avail. They originally said there was ā€˜road debris and gunk in the control armā€™ after fixing a loose sway bar the first time. I didnā€™t install myself and paid a premium to have a shop do it and now just wished I did it myself. Any advice here? I donā€™t want the same shop to look at it again and am awaiting their reply. New shop? Dig into it myself? They explained the issue was from the rear spring / perch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
No other mods other than 295/35 rear, 265/35 front and the ZL1 Rockguards. I donā€™t see anywhere that the rock guards are rubbing, nor do I think it would make that noise? Noise either goes away or isnā€™t audible above say 15-20mph and that may be due to wind noise or itā€™s truly gone.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Check your rotors?
Rock or something stuck in there? Waiting to do anything before talking the shop which pains me. Iā€™ve done all the other mods on the car and want to start ripping into this.

quikslipper

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Prius Prime, Wrangler
that's the most annoying thing and i bet it's something small too...i have that same sound in my prius, checked all tires wheels, took wheels/tires off and saw nothing out of ordinary sticking out. good luck!

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
that's the most annoying thing and i bet it's something small too...i have that same sound in my prius, checked all tires wheels, took wheels/tires off and saw nothing out of ordinary sticking out. good luck!
Probably is! Will keep you posted after I hear from the shop.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Thank you to @bushido for pointing this thread out: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/faint-tick-click-noise-low-speed-10-20mph.19373/#post-340634

Seems my issue is at least similar. Will throw some wheel spacers on and see if the issue goes away.

@APEXRaceParts - I saw you commented on a few BMW posts; have you guys seen this before on the a90 platform? Do you have a spacer you recommend using to troubleshoot this? I have the 19x11 out back and seems the noise is coming from back there. Do you have a 5 or 10mm spacer I should try? I have my Berger 13/15mm spacers for the OEM wheels I could try as well.

MisoSup

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Does the click happen at the same revolution of the wheel? I had this issue. The lugs just needed to be torqued down properly.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Does the click happen at the same revolution of the wheel? I had this issue. The lugs just needed to be torqued down properly.
Hard to tell...but maybe? I am going to pull the rears off tonight and see if that massive 15mm spacer even fits. If it does, hoping it resolves the issue.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Are you using longer lugs than OEM?
Not currently; I went back to the OEM lugs for the Apex wheels. I do have longer lugs that Berger sells with their 15mm/13mm spacer kit.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
15mm feels a little too close to the fender, may try the 13mm on the rear.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Remember that the rear suspension cambers in under compression (gains negative camber) so you will have more clearance to fender than you think.
Good point! It looks pretty ā€˜flushā€™ to the rock guards I have. I would rather try a 5mm spacer but I have a 13mm on hand so here we are. Will drive it around tomorrow and see if the noise is still there. Also made sure to really get a nice layer of anti seize in there too.
IMG_1330.jpeg

If this helps the noise Iā€™ll order some 5mm from @APEXRaceParts and longer bolts.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Check your rotors?
I did when putting the spacers on there. Squeaky clean and less than 5k miles on them to boot. No rocks or anything in there. So curious if the spacer fixes it. Test drive tomorrow
Sponsored