Are stock intakes better than cold air intakes?

TwoPointYo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 2.0 GR Supra
Recently installed a afe track series carbon fiber CAI. It sounds pretty dope but i feel like my car lost at least 20-30 hp/tq. It didnt come with a cover for the top part over the air filter so its basically sucking in all the hot air from engine. Theres a little rubber seal at the top that molds into the hood but its always uneven and too many holes where hot air can come through. Is there anyway i can just put the stock back on and maybe change the air filter for the turbo spool sound? Pretty disappointed with CAI to be honest, really ineffective and useless. On top of that my car is now slower than before. Its a huge noticeable difference. Please, someone help!
Sponsored

OP
OP

TwoPointYo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 2.0 GR Supra
Well you cant hear the turbo spool on the stock ones. Is there anyway i can change the filter on the stock one and get the same sound?

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
Well you cant hear the turbo spool on the stock ones. Is there anyway i can change the filter on the stock one and get the same sound?
You might be able to remove the silencer on the stock box.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0

suptj

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Just my little two cents with everyone mentioning the resonator delete:

I actually had a Armaspeed CAI and got rid of it because I was experiencing same problems as you. Did a lot of research and decided to go back to OEM. I also modified it by doing the verus resonator delete, high flow BMC filter, and even took out the foam that’s in the airbox in hopes for more sound.

Even after everything.. I see no difference (in sound) 😂 LMAO. So ultimately, if you want sound you gotta sacrifice. From a performance perspective, the drop in filter definitely helps with more flow. I know for a fact the OEM airbox does a better job keeping temps down EFFICIENTLY. This is coming from an Arizona resident where its currently peak summer (100-115F ambient)

Last edited:

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Just my little two cents with everyone mentioning the resonator delete:

I actually had a Armaspeed CAI and got rid of it because I was experiencing same problems as you. Did a lot of research and decided to go back to OEM. I also modified it by doing the verus resonator delete, high flow BMC filter, and even took out the foam that’s in the airbox in hopes for more sound.

Even after everything.. I hear no difference (in sound) 😂 LMAO. So ultimately, if you want sound you gotta sacrifice. From a performance perspective, the drop in filter definitely helps with more flow. I know for a fact the OEM airbox does a better job keeping temps down EFFICIENTLY. This is coming from an Arizona resident where its currently peak summer (100-115F ambient)
Agreed, I've done exactly the same and it's perhaps 5% louder, but only under certain situations, faint turbo noise when driving alongside a wall with windows down.

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
I have the same intake as OP albeit the non CF version but I never noticed a drop in power I think for two reasons. I have Verus heat shield and the Verus vented hood louver so IAT's are generally 10-20 degrees over the ambient temp outside.

IMG_20221101_133434.jpg
IMG_20230721_141851.jpg

Last edited:

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
This is something I realized back in my Subaru days, except it wasn't usually a loss of power (the CAI I had burried the filter in the fender well), but rather a loss of 4-5 MPG. The intake noise is glorious, but typically there's a price to pay beyond the cost of the intake.

I have no idea why all of the A90 intakes draw air from the literally oven hot engine bay. Without a hood vent it gets stupid hot in there, especially at the track. The Dinan intake for example looked fantastic, until I saw the openings into the engine bay.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
This is something I realized back in my Subaru days, except it wasn't usually a loss of power (the CAI I had burried the filter in the fender well), but rather a loss of 4-5 MPG. The intake noise is glorious, but typically there's a price to pay beyond the cost of the intake.

I have no idea why all of the A90 intakes draw air from the literally oven hot engine bay. Without a hood vent it gets stupid hot in there, especially at the track. The Dinan intake for example looked fantastic, until I saw the openings into the engine bay.
The eventuri intake gets cold air from the stock location.