Do I really need this at 30k miles?

COLLINS

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
BMW engines currently are not experiencing any major build up. The valve timing events of the motors have minimized this. No dealer here is going to recommend any injection service, additive or walnut blasting on the current M or B58 motors. It has been this way for sometime now. They might check at 120k kilometers or more. My 14 M235i had a new valve cover gasket put on at 90k kilometers. Clean and in need of no service on the valves. N55 series motors are also not known to develop and inordinate amount of carbon build up on intake valves at all.

The N54 was the gold standard for troublesome carbon build up. Thats not an issue with the follow on motors at all. The issue is far less apparent.

The carbon build-up on BMW diesel engines is a big mess. I have seen that first hand at my dealer. Will not own any of those. They are a gunked up fiasco.
Thanks for this info, haven’t gotten to see a lot of high mileage B58s yet. I have seen that in the diesels. Ridiculous how bad that stuff gets.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Thanks for this info, haven’t gotten to see a lot of high mileage B58s yet. I have seen that in the diesels. Ridiculous how bad that stuff gets.
I remember the days of pouring seafoam in an empty tank prior to fill up lol. I hear ya man. I just don’t think we have to do that anymore. But I know less than all y’all - engineering wise. Brian (razorlab), Lucky Phil, Zack (zrk) and many others seem to have valid good points and in the industry. Manufacturers want to sell their products. Thus, have to take a lot of it with a grain of salt, how you drive your car, what conditions you’re in.

I use 93 octane big brand gas. Probably wouldn’t hurt to pour some additive in there. But probably wouldn’t help either. Is my take on the matter.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I will continue to monitor this here with my dealer and the #2 service chief who is the only person that services my M2 and M240i. We are good friends as well. He is exceptional and will not hesitate to recommend a service truly needed, and never 'sell' something.

The diesel situation was dreadful when he showed me car after car back in 2018 and 2019. BMW was dealing with many issues and customers on these vehicles. He was not happy and the mess in these intakes was simply amazing. Of course any company can get it wrong yet we move forward and hope the next model/update makes our cars better! Even a cursory look around the web on the B58 is not yielding any major issues with respect to carbon build up at all. My mech confirmed this but these are DI motors and some build up, even slight is expected. The issue is when it becomes a performance problem and is noticeable, then needing intervention. For most they may never face it if they keep the B58 powered vehicle only a few years.
Progress has been made since the N54 it appears!
Sponsored