Do you ABSOLUTELY need hood pins for a CF hood for "normal" street driving?

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1991 325i Turbo, 2019 RC350
Let me preface this by saying I've got a set of aerocatch pins sitting on a shelf in my kitchen but I've been staring at this hood for a week and kinda just want to throw it on and go show it off. Additionally - despite doing almost everything DIY on my e30 including multiple engine/trans swaps - I don't think I'm confident enough in my abilities to cut a couple of clean and precise holes in this bad boy so I'd have to drive it out to a shop somewhere and well.. all three of my vehicles are tiny and I don't really wanna rent a home depot truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP
hotsaucewizard

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
To clarify - my speed alert chime is set at 100mph. I'm too old to risk getting my car impounded lol

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
To clarify - my speed alert chime is set at 100mph. I'm too old to risk getting my car impounded lol
You’ll probably get a slough of answers ranging from “I’ve never had an issue” to “My friend died driving without hood pins”.

I personally think you might as well get it done right, but it should be fine if you’re just going to show it off for the day…

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
100% yes. Highway speeds are enough to turn the hood into an aerofoil and tear it out of the hood latch.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
If the hood comes with metal latches for the factory location its not required, but its highly recommended to have hood pins. One because CF will flex and depending on the hood over time you may get cracks in the CF which can eventually cause failure. Two if the latch does fail you are in for a very large repair bill as it slams into the window, A pillar, roof, etc.

OP
OP
hotsaucewizard

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If the hood comes with metal latches for the factory location its not required, but its highly recommended to have hood pins. One because CF will flex and depending on the hood over time you may get cracks in the CF which can eventually cause failure. Two if the latch does fail you are in for a very large repair bill as it slams into the window, A pillar, roof, etc.
it does seem to have studs placed in the same locations as the factory latches

called the only recommended shop i can find in the area and they're slammed for TX2K and can't get to it until the 22nd :/

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
I had a Seibon carbon hood that had OE style latches. I drove the car at normal street speeds for a few months until I eventually installed Aerocatch pins. If you are worried about whether or not you'll make it to the shop, I think you'll be fine. I just wouldn't drive at excessively high speeds.
Sponsored