How to get Toyota to update car for throttle hesitation issue?

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
My update & guide for anyone interested:

So as i previously mentioned, I went into Listers Stratford-Upon-Avon and spoke to their Supra tech Chris. I decided to go the official route and state the real issue. Obviously he couldn't recreate the issue as its so random but suggested due to my safety concerns that he raise a ticket with Head office who would work in tandem with BMW on the issue. My car was there for the best part of a week while they went back and forth.

I was told my car was on the latest update that Toyota had available: S18T-21-03-XXX (last 3 digits unknown). After the tech spoke with head office and BMW they confirmed that BMW had encountered the issue on the Z4 and had a much newer software update available but Toyota dont have access to it. The BMW Engineer worked with my tech to update my car with the BMW module updates bringing it to software version: S18T-23-07-505.

As of writing this I have no idea if this has indeed solved this issue but have an appointment with Toyota in a couple of weeks to report any findings. Based on this info and I'm sure other cars having this fix issued to them Chris was confident it wouldn't be too long before BMW passed this set of updates along to Toyota for official release. As you can see its a huge software jump in iterations so fingers crossed this fixes it and gets issued for everyone to benefit from.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted anyone chasing this to have all the info possible. If you go in for the update right now I think the truth is the tech will be correct in thinking your car is on the latest update but in actual fact Toyota dont have it.
great update, thanks for replying. I wanted to add that for my vehicle I did experience the hesitation the other day briefly but only for a second. It has been a while and previously the car would be having this issue for a few minutes of driving. Seems once and done now so itā€™s definitely better.

I wonder if what youā€™ve had done is the complete solutionā€¦ā€¦ could you possibly find out which modules were updated specifically? I will be showing my supra tech this post now I have briefly experienced it again, Iā€™d like the issue squashed.
Sponsored

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
great update, thanks for replying. I wanted to add that for my vehicle I did experience the hesitation the other day briefly but only for a second. It has been a while and previously the car would be having this issue for a few minutes of driving. Seems once and done now so itā€™s definitely better.

I wonder if what youā€™ve had done is the complete solutionā€¦ā€¦ could you possibly find out which modules were updated specifically? I will be showing my supra tech this post now I have briefly experienced it again, Iā€™d like the issue squashed.
I asked if it was a specific module and he said its a complete car update so all modules are raised. You could have potentially got an individual module updated when you went as the tech said on occasion with authorisation then can sometimes have an update for a single one that doesn't raise the whole cars number. If you went down the CarPlay route it could be a media unit update that happens to effect other bits.

To be fair though I am guessing when it comes to your update of course.

I also wanted to say actually so far I haven't really experienced the other changes you spoke about in your separate review thread which I'm a little disappointed with. Would love to get the centre screen to a higher brightness.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I asked if it was a specific module and he said its a complete car update so all modules are raised. You could have potentially got an individual module updated when you went as the tech said on occasion with authorisation then can sometimes have an update for a single one that doesn't raise the whole cars number. If you went down the CarPlay route it could be a media unit update that happens to effect other bits.

To be fair though I am guessing when it comes to your update of course.

I also wanted to say actually so far I haven't really experienced the other changes you spoke about in your separate review thread which I'm a little disappointed with. Would love to get the centre screen to a higher brightness.
When the tech did mine he did raise all modules/iLevel but then I suppose that does not really matter if you have had a Z4 update installed from BMW. (If I have read that correctly).

Thatā€™s a shame you noticed other changes, it makes me wonder is specifically for the brightness youā€™d have to be on a Toyota variant of the software as our clocks our different which is where our light sensor hides. Maybe itā€™s related. I should add my car is a 2019 so perhaps my initial state was worse.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
When the tech did mine he did raise all modules/iLevel but then I suppose that does not really matter if you have had a Z4 update installed from BMW. (If I have read that correctly).

Thatā€™s a shame you noticed other changes, it makes me wonder is specifically for the brightness youā€™d have to be on a Toyota variant of the software as our clocks our different which is where our light sensor hides. Maybe itā€™s related. I should add my car is a 2019 so perhaps my initial state was worse.
Its not turned all my systems to Z4/BMW but i think behind the scenes it must be, based off what he said. Its not something you can see outside the software number. Just to confirm it was done by Toyota at the dealership with BMW supplying the update and support.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Its not turned all my systems to Z4/BMW but i think behind the scenes it must be, based off what he said. Its not something you can see outside the software number. Just to confirm it was done by Toyota at the dealership with BMW supplying the update and support.
Yeah it sounds like bmw sent over the individual update for each module.

very interesting, Iā€™ll also be chasing this further. Hopefully pushes a proper update out sooner.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Worth noting is that these updates may be UK specific as it seems like there are many minor (as well as major) differences to our cars around the world.

Case in point, I was reading that the exhaust valve in Australia works completely differently to the one in the US. UK engines are de-tuned too I think? And as an aside, our Aussie exhausts are gimped so they make the car sound like a Camry. ā˜¹

EDIT: Just saw this was posted specifically in the UK thread. Ignore me. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
Just a tiny update: Touch wood & cross my fingers but the car has been flawless since the update. Ive done about 2000 miles since the updates previously mentioned and in cold conditions when it tended to be a little more temperamental with no hesitation at all. Id call this fixed!

Anyone else manage to update their cars using my guide info?

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Just a tiny update: Touch wood & cross my fingers but the car has been flawless since the update. Ive done about 2000 miles since the updates previously mentioned and in cold conditions when it tended to be a little more temperamental with no hesitation at all. Id call this fixed!

Anyone else manage to update their cars using my guide info?
I had my car updated (as youā€™ve seen). Iā€™m sad to report that mine has returnedā€¦. Iā€™ll be pushing for Toyota to do the update working with BMW as the other user has.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
I had my car updated (as youā€™ve seen). Iā€™m sad to report that mine has returnedā€¦. Iā€™ll be pushing for Toyota to do the update working with BMW as the other user has.
I can definitely say its worth the effort of getting that update from BMW, I have so much more confidence in the car now.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Slightly off topic: Has anyone who has had the update found that some BimmerCode sections are greyed out? Trying to narrow down a problem.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Slightly off topic: Has anyone who has had the update found that some BimmerCode sections are greyed out? Trying to narrow down a problem.
Yes, that is possible, but usually BimmerCode eventually has an update that fixes it.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Yes, that is possible, but usually BimmerCode eventually has an update that fixes it.
When I reach out to BimmerCode support they say "wait till next update" and after three updates it's still not working so was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Carbon0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Just went to the dealer to get the update and they told me they replaced the tool they use (tista) with something else and they have no way of updating supras. I feel like Iā€™m being lied to. What do you all think?

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Just went to the dealer to get the update and they told me they replaced the tool they use (tista) with something else and they have no way of updating supras. I feel like Iā€™m being lied to. What do you all think?
Sounds suspect. I had my update done this eeek and they had ISTA like they always have. And it indeed did fix my throttle issue cause it had gotten bad.
2020 3.0 - American market

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
You do need to make sure its a dealer that's at least GR certified. The dealer I go to isn't a GR centre but is one of the only ones in the area with a Supra Tech still on staff. If you are in the Birmingham area as your profile suggests i would recommend Stratford-Upon-Avon, They have always been great for me. Id also recommend calling first and booking too, if you just roll up and ask for the update i can see dealers coming up with all sorts of excuses.
Sponsored