Manual Trans MKV Tuning Questions and (Hopefully) Answers Thread

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Umm.. am I missing something? I just had my JB+ equipped MT on a dyno and it recorded 313kW and 550Nm of torque running 98RON (ULP93). That's around 420hp and 405ft-lb, right?

Now I know dyno figures aren't directly comparable but at face value, I have to wonder if a trip to Femto + catless downpipe + tuning software + a tune is really worth it for an extra 60hp (25hp on ULP93)? 🤷‍♂️

JB+ Dyno at Elite Euro (29.04.2024).png
I've said it before, but honestly there is little benefit in unlocking a *mostly* stock car unless you want to run heavier E blends. Unless you just hate piggybacks, just save yourself ~2k (and warranty) and go that route.

Ethanol changes everything since the biggest piggyback limitation is fueling.
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Umm.. am I missing something? I just had my JB+ equipped MT on a dyno and it recorded 313kW and 550Nm of torque running 98RON (ULP93). That's around 420hp and 405ft-lb, right?

Now I know dyno figures aren't directly comparable but at face value, I have to wonder if a trip to Femto + catless downpipe + tuning software + a tune is really worth it for an extra 60hp (25hp on ULP93)? 🤷‍♂️

JB+ Dyno at Elite Euro (29.04.2024).png
As usual it's the law of diminishing returns. There's only so much power you can use on a road car anyway in this highly Policed world with the threat of Hoon laws etc we have. I still have a high performance ( 180 wheel hp) sports bike that I was riding on the streets up until 5 years ago now. One day riding it around I banged the throttle open in 3rd gear and it pulled the front wheel up and launched me at the horizon like usual and I thought "this thing is just too much bike for the road these days" so I let the rego lapse and just leave it for the track now. On a bike you can't realistically use more than 100 HP on the road, anything more is just a silly waste. A car I haven't thought too much about but at something like a Supras weight I'd imagine around what yours makes is about the limit. I mean what can you do on the public roads with 550-600 hp or more except get yourself into trouble one way or another. Chassis performance and weight reduction are probably more sensible paths to go down.
These days my road bikes are 85 and 45 WHP and actually more fun than the big Ducati on the road.
Phil

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
That’s perfect, just like my setup. Haven’t launched it yet since I’m on stock axles and Mickey 305s. I’ll take it to the track here shortly and post the video. Hoping for anything in the low 11s tbh but we’ll see.
during break-in. How was your car in first gear from a stop?

mine stutters before release almost every time. I’ve had 5 drivers in it with twin disc clutch experience. None of them could get it going smoothly.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
As usual it's the law of diminishing returns. There's only so much power you can use on a road car anyway in this highly Policed world with the threat of Hoon laws etc we have. I still have a high performance ( 180 wheel hp) sports bike that I was riding on the streets up until 5 years ago now. One day riding it around I banged the throttle open in 3rd gear and it pulled the front wheel up and launched me at the horizon like usual and I thought "this thing is just too much bike for the road these days" so I let the rego lapse and just leave it for the track now. On a bike you can't realistically use more than 100 HP on the road, anything more is just a silly waste. A car I haven't thought too much about but at something like a Supras weight I'd imagine around what yours makes is about the limit. I mean what can you do on the public roads with 550-600 hp or more except get yourself into trouble one way or another. Chassis performance and weight reduction are probably more sensible paths to go down.
These days my road bikes are 85 and 45 WHP and actually more fun than the big Ducati on the road.
Phil
What if you don’t drive on public roads (or live in Florida 😉)? If I could put the same amount of ethanol with every fill up and it’d be better, I’d do it in a heartbeat 💗

Just keep a tiny jug in my trunk or garage to add prior to fill up 🤷‍♂️

I used to add a tiny bottle of 2 stroke oil to my tank in the RX8. They claimed it was good for the rotary engine.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/two-stroke-for-a-rotary.20387

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
What if you don’t drive on public roads (or live in Florida 😉)? If I could put the same amount of ethanol with every fill up and it’d be better, I’d do it in a heartbeat 💗

Just keep a tiny jug in my trunk or garage to add prior to fill up 🤷‍♂️

I used to add a tiny bottle of 2 stroke oil to my tank in the RX8. They claimed it was good for the rotary engine.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/two-stroke-for-a-rotary.20387
Possibly different thats why I specified "road". Having said that I know a lot of drivers/riders that can't use the stock power even on a race track.

Phil

Last edited:

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
Figured I'd post this here in case anyone else was hoping to run Ecutek on their M/T. I decided to reach out to them and see if there were any updates for M/T Supras but sadly it doesn't look like they will be releasing anything for us.

1715343346718-x2.png

DGINR8supra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
during break-in. How was your car in first gear from a stop?

mine stutters before release almost every time. I’ve had 5 drivers in it with twin disc clutch experience. None of them could get it going smoothly.
Mines the same way. I always don’t give it any accelerator and let clutch out till she bites. That’s the smoothest I’ve experienced.
Sponsored