New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
This is purely speculatory, but I still believe that we may get a entirely different version of the motor compared to the X3 or 240i/340i. I feel like Toyota is going to want to fettle with this motor, perhaps to a fairly extensive degree (certainly in regards to the head). Toyota has a number of headlining technologies that they love to tout, and many that will prove very effective in this application. Just a guess though!
Sponsored

Gecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 4Runner Limited 4x4, '05 LS 430
This is purely speculatory, but I still believe that we may get a entirely different version of the motor compared to the X3 or 240i/340i. I feel like Toyota is going to want to fettle with this motor, perhaps to a fairly extensive degree (certainly in regards to the head). Toyota has a number of headlining technologies that they love to tout, and many that will prove very effective in this application. Just a guess though!
I really hope this is the case. A BMW block with Toyota tuning and internals would be A-OK in my book.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
If so they will likely go with some variant of the dual-injection fuel system they are beginning to use in other models now (they started this with the GT86). It's something the BMW engines don't offer and can help avoid the valve crud-accretion hassles common to some DI-only engines.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
If so they will likely go with some variant of the dual-injection fuel system they are beginning to use in other models now (they started this with the GT86). It's something the BMW engines don't offer and can help avoid the valve crud-accretion hassles common to some DI-only engines.
And will make for E85 compatibility potential.... :stirthepot:

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
It seems that there are even more variations of BMW's 3.0L I6 floating around. Today they unveiled the new X4, and the "40i" model has 355hp and 365lb-ft of torque, and I just realized the new X3 has this same engine also.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1115305_bumper-crop-2019-bmw-x4-luxury-crossover-revealed

Even if just for BMW's sake, I'm sure they will be using their latest and greatest powerplant in the Z4, so that should come to the Supra also.

I'm actually going to bet we end up getting this tune - 355hp and 365lb-ft. We'll see.
Full Range of G20 3 Series Models Revealed, With Power, Transmissions, Drivetrain
http://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465969

This is interesting too because the 3-series is tested alongside the z4 and the supra in some spy shots!

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
"purely speculatory"

I am hoping so too

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
On a different note, Toyota, as we all know, makes very reliable strong and capable engines...It is interesting to me they would even use a BMW engine (I know about the Subaru partnership) Sure....share in the R&D, testing and other costs yes, but to actually use a BMW engine...well this is still hard to believe....it goes against all their hard work over the years and company culture.....so maybe it will still have a Toyota engine :)

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
On a different note, Toyota, as we all know, makes very reliable strong and capable engines...It is interesting to me they would even use a BMW engine (I know about the Subaru partnership) Sure....share in the R&D, testing and other costs yes, but to actually use a BMW engine...well this is still hard to believe....it goes against all their hard work over the years and company culture.....so maybe it will still have a Toyota engine :)
..if it is merely the bottom end that Toyota uses then I would consider it a more Toyota than BMW engine.

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen a lot of complaints and comments from people about the rumored 335hp and how they wouldn't buy one at that level. Well, let's see what this engine can be capable of.

rwhp with the stock turbo.
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/b58-stock-turbo-world-record.2074/

Here's a aftermarket 59mm turbo on the stock motor making 563 jams:
b58-563-jpg.jpg

You're welcome to take these claims with a grain of salt (these aren't my cars, not involved).

I'm also biased towards PTE so wouldn't be surprised if it's capable to flow enough for more with a bigger turbo. This platform only has a couple years of run time for aftermarket vendors as well. That being said, the closed desk design means this should be beefy at high pressure if the rods'll take it. For reference, the ZF Autos in the BMW n5x engines didn't seem to bat an eye at 500 rwhp and plenty of people have run 700+ on their auto with a transmission tune.

And it'll have an air-to-water intercooler integrated into the intake manifold (source: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/bmws-new-b58-engine-wont-be-a-tuners-delight-99845.html). For the common case, that's a marked improvement in cooling over older air-only systems but it's not exactly easy or cheap to upgrade that. So not everything is sunshine and gravy but I don't think we'll need to be too worried about it.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
ewwwwww Precision...

Borg Warner or Garrett all day babae

---------

Jokes aside, I think there's gonna be plenty of tunability for folks to enjoy and maybe some options from the dealer ;)

........ toyotally hypothetical of course *cough*

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
ewwwwww Precision...

Borg Warner or Garrett all day babae
Amennnn!! Have had way too many problems with PTE turbos in my lifetime...

But yeah, B58 has decent potential! Clearly the bottom end is strong, but I'm curious to see how the rest of it holds up to power over time.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Agreed, the more I read into the B58 the more I am finding out about its potential.

My BMW friend is telling me that there is a BMW M340i coming out for 2019 that is said to have a factory modified B58 pushing out 380 HP.

My guess is this is one of the BMW joint engines we are getting in the Supra if any.
Sponsored