New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
I said sounds, not is. From all the inside rumors/comments on this forum (made for handling, not straight line performance and so on). I’m not going to look up all the comments, they are there.

Let’s not get distracted here. I want to like this car, I hope for the best but what I keep seeing and reading is disappointing so far as an A80 owner. To each their own.
Sponsored

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I said sounds, not is. From all the inside rumors/comments on this forum (made for handling, not straight line performance and so on). I’m not going to look up all the comments, they are there.

Let’s not get distracted here. I want to like this car, I hope for the best but what I keep seeing and reading is disappointing so far as an A80 owner. To each their own.
Can you explain what you wanted out of this? I don't see what is expected...

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
:hmm: speaking of RC-F, the A90 (stock) should at least be faster than an RC-F... in a straight line, right?o_O

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Japanese past turbo cars competed against naturally aspirated cars. So surely they were fast. But then the Japanese went with NA, and somehow the Euro discovered FI. Now with the Japanese going back to turbo, it becomes an equal arms fight. It is impossible to beat physics. Anyone claiming the contrary (looking at Germans and Americans) are liars. New Supra cannot be miraculously better nor shamefully worse. The differences are simple nitpicking.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A new Version of the real Supra, not just by name.
That makes no sense as I can't tell if you meant by the GT version, the afternar2ket version, or the version. You wish the supra will b3come and for the latter,I have no idea what that falls under.

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'00 NBP Integra Type R, '18 BMW X6 i50, '16 335i GT
Similarly, the A80 is more than comfortable on a track, but in the us they're mostly straight line monsters.
I dunno, my A80 sans roof was about as stiff as a bowl of mashed potatoes. Putting the top back in stiffened it up to approximately a wet noodle, haha. Definitely amazing as a straight line car. Never had the pleasure of driving a hard top aggressively though so maybe that's much different.

Not sure if everyone caught this or if it's already known info but saw this earlier from Jalopnik.
Then Tada comes out and says it was a mistranslation and he meant the F-Sport, as in ES F-Sport, and we get a whopping 267 lb/ft, lol =(

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
That makes no sense as I can't tell if you meant by the GT version, the afternar2ket version, or the version. You wish the supra will b3come and for the latter,I have no idea what that falls under.
You are over thinking it. There is only one version, the one Toyota made, stock for stock, I am not concerned with the aftermarket versions as they don’t roll off the dealerships modified.

There is no need to beat a dead horse. We’ll wait and see.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I dunno, my A80 sans roof was about as stiff as a bowl of mashed potatoes. Putting the top back in stiffened it up to approximately a wet noodle, haha. Definitely amazing as a straight line car. Never had the pleasure of driving a hard top aggressively though so maybe that's much different.(
haha fair enough - mine is a hardtop, and a fairly newer/low milage one (1999) so is still nice and stiff. Only driven an aerotop around the block once, and noticed how floppy it was...

People in this thread seem to forget that there was more than one generation, and model, of Supra.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
haha fair enough - mine is a hardtop, and a fairly newer/low milage one (1999) so is still nice and stiff. Only driven an aerotop around the block once, and noticed how floppy it was...

People in this thread seem to forget that there was more than one generation, and model, of Supra.
And it seems there will be one more. And another ground of Supra owners looked down on by other Supra owners (in whichever direction you'd prefer).

Jeff

Daigor

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
98 Toyota Supra
You are over thinking it. There is only one version, the one Toyota made, stock for stock, I am not concerned with the aftermarket versions as they don’t roll off the dealerships modified.

There is no need to beat a dead horse. We’ll wait and see.
Toyota had cars in their lineup back in the early 2000's that were rolled off the dealership modified and under Toyota Factory Warranty. These cars were tuned with TRD Parts. If fact I believe the new FT-86 has a few TRD upgrades you can get with the car. I am sure when the new MKV becomes available at the dealers, you may add GRMN Parts and have a slightly modified Supra at purchase.

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'00 NBP Integra Type R, '18 BMW X6 i50, '16 335i GT

Nice, I definitely feel like I made a mistake. If that's the case, had I gotten a hardtop i'd probably still have it today. When I was younger, I cared about straight line and looking cool, hence wanting to be able to pop the top off. As I got older and more into track racing over just straight line, it felt like the wrong tool for me.

That's why i'm cautiously optimistic about the A90...I am 100% committed and ready day 1 to pick up a GTR refresh or A90 and don't want to feel like I made a mistake later down the road like I did with my choice in "cool" A80

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
it's a very noticeable difference between hardtop and targa... I wish all the US cars were hardtops or at least predominantly so like they were in the rest of the world.

the downsides get exacerbated by time too...

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Fwiw, I did a few track days with a BPU (downpipe and exhaust) Targa, on square 255 RS3s, and it was great. Factory dampers were far too soft on compression, but the chassis was still great. The car has great balance on a square setup, you just have to watch for the second turbo.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.