Parts section

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I am, but doing so requires topping off the diff every 500 - 1000 miles or so before the part is delivered. (no expected delivery date)
That's like 400-900 more miles than I get out of an engine or transmission usually, so I don't feel too bad.
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I am, but doing so requires topping off the diff every 500 - 1000 miles or so before the part is delivered. (no expected delivery date)
Stop being so dramatic dude. From your photos it’s like a single drop. If it was enough to top off every 500 miles it would be a pool. You even mentioned the drip decreased.

If you want attention, just say so.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Many drops after traveling along a sizeable surface area

Diff leak2  by Supra tech.JPG

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Taking a car built off of BMW parts assembled by Austrians to be worked on by techs who normally work on Camry's regularly is laughable.

If you had taken your car into a BMW independent shop, it would be fixed by now.

Toyota warranty is mostly meaningless since they have the same issues with the GR86 (I had one before the Supra and they sucked with that too).

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Taking a car built off of BMW parts assembled by Austrians to be worked on by techs who normally work on Camry's regularly is laughable.

If you had taken your car into a BMW independent shop, it would be fixed by now.

Toyota warranty is mostly meaningless since they have the same issues with the GR86 (I had one before the Supra and they sucked with that too).
Send me the $1200 for this, and I'll do that.
By the way, the owner of the Independent BMW service shop told me that replacing the seal is not difficult. A Toyota tech should be able to do the job without issue. It is not rocket science.

He also told me that the job would take him 4 - 6 hours to complete. At his rate, that's not pocket change.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Send me the $1200 for this, and I'll do that.
By the way, the owner of the Independent BMW service shop told me that replacing the seal is not difficult. A Toyota tech should be able to do the job without issue. It is not rocket science.

He also told me that the job would take him 4 - 6 hours to complete. At his rate, that's not pocket change.
Wait, are you talking about an $80 seal needing replaced?

IMG_2528.jpeg

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wait, are you talking about an $80 seal needing replaced?

IMG_2528.jpeg
Yes, the shop owner described exactly what needed to be done. He said that it's not the part that drives up the cost; it's the labor required to disassemble and reassemble parts. He had done this many times, it seems - just not on Supra. He was looking at my diff with the car on a lift when he described the procedure.
Of course, if he were doing only diff seal replacements all day, the labor time would be lower.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Man is picking the worst places to work on his car and I actually feel bad.

Doesn't help that Toyota actually f-ing sucks with this platform but over a leaky diff that he's been talking about since getting the car.

It's not that they can't work with BMW to get the parts, they actually don't care. I was told not to have my Supra serviced by Toyota at all by people who work in Toyota Service lol.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Wait a fucking minute. You didn't find out the issue from Toyota, you went to an independent to get diagnosed after the forum grilled you about it. It's not so easy if you'd continued your path of "supra techs" know best route.

Selective memory much.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wait a minute. You didn't find out the issue from Toyota, you went to an independent to get diagnosed after the forum grilled you about it. It's not so easy if you'd continued your path of "supra techs" know best route.

Selective memory much.
This post is about parts acquisition while under warranty. Let's focus on that, rather than the diff leak which was discussed in a different post.

But I'll repeat this brief summation only one more time for those who missed previous posts.

1. The Toyota tech(s) correctly identified the source of the leak.
2. I asked an independent BMW shop owner to give me his opinion. He looked at the diff and concurred with the Toyota techs.
3. Since this is a warranty claim, and having the seal replaced by him would involve a hefty bill, he fully understood my having the Toyota tech do the work.
4. The BMW shop owner also stated that changing the seal is certainly something that most techs can do. It takes some hours but is not complicated. The assembly tools will come in handy.

Again, those who do not stay on the parts topic should move onto other posts. If you continue to harass me here, you will be ignored.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Again, those who do not stay on the parts topic should move onto other posts. If you continue to harass me here, you will be ignored.
So you are ignoring literally everyone in here then?

Translation: "People that do not agree with me here, let them eat cake."

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
This post is about parts acquisition while under warranty. Let's focus on that, rather than the diff leak which was discussed in a different post.

But I'll repeat this brief summation only one more time for those who missed previous posts.

1. The Toyota tech(s) correctly identified the source of the leak.
2. I asked an independent BMW shop owner to give me his opinion. He looked at the diff and concurred with the Toyota techs.
3. Since this is a warranty claim, and having the seal replaced by him would involve a hefty bill, he fully understood my having the Toyota tech do the work.
4. The BMW shop owner also stated that changing the seal is certainly something that most techs can do. It takes some hours but is not complicated. The assembly tools will come in handy.

Let's be real here only you think this post is still on topic. It's been a lost cause since the second you decided to post it.
Sponsored