Reviews are in for 2020 Supra MKV preproduction car

Status
Not open for further replies.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
haha I highlighted that for another reason, but let's just say the marketing folks at that event may not have a great understanding of engineering concepts lol.
In the days of direct injection and modern ECU's doesn't 0.5 BAR or 7-8PSI seem quite low? A lot of these new boosted cars are running above 1 BAR of boost.

I wonder how much room is left in that stock turbo
It makes me wonder if A70TTR is hinting that the base six-cylinder Supra will be at 7 psi (approximately 380 HP) and a higher tuned version will be offered later down the road with around 14~psi (approx. 475-500 HP)....
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I’m really wondering that the Supra should be the smoother one and the Z4 the more aggressive. I thought the opposite.
That was my initial impression for a long time when I heard of the collaboration since the Supra has always been higher up market than the Z4. But I believe BMW it is moving the Z4 upmarket since the E89 Z4 tried to combine sporty and comfort and was neither. This would allow it to compete with other luxury convertibles instead of being a fancy Miata

My apologies, all I can see is warranty and $ signs in your last statement.
Perhaps thats why they tested as much as they did to avoid those issues but who knows since valvetronic hasnt been much of an issue in B58s

It makes me wonder if A70TTR is hinting that the base six-cylinder Supra will be at 7 psi (approximately 380 HP) and a higher tuned version will be offered later down the road with around 14~psi (approx. 475-500 HP)....
You should google the S58, it's power levels, and expected release date if you want some exciting speculation

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
GRMN, you mean...
Honestly, I think they should call it the TRD or TRD Sport edition, in keeping with US sports-tier tradition. Let the GRMN stay in Europe.
Sniped. Meant for @2above.

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'00 NBP Integra Type R, '18 BMW X6 i50, '16 335i GT
Oh hey, we can at least rest assured that this will sound amazing...via the engine noises that are pumped in over the speakers so it sounds good. Minor detail, but man I wish we had just a plain ass raw sports car without all the fake vent, fake noise, "looks fast" gimicky shit.

I'm giving up on the production model, let's see how the track editions end up

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Oh hey, we can at least rest assured that this will sound amazing...via the engine noises that are pumped in over the speakers so it sounds good. Minor detail, but man I wish we had just a plain ass raw sports car without all the fake vent, fake noise, "looks fast" gimicky shit.

Luckily there are ways around that and it will be louder for non-eu spec vehicles. The vents are functional on different trims

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Luckily there are ways around that and it will be louder for non-eu spec vehicles. The vents are functional on different trims
There's a way to make minivans fast too. Doesn't mean that said minivan should be marketed as a pure sports car with one of the most legendary namesakes. The mere fact that "lets pump sound in through the speakers to make it sound great" was integrated screams BMW to me, and owning several of them now it makes me quite concerned this is more of the same bavarian dullness, and not hardcore pure sports car that the Supra deserves to be.

The production model is going to be their "lets just make it 'cool' and sell well, then we can get the bosses to let us make limited edition trims for those who want a better car", and i'm going to wait for that. This version is a lot of good things, but it's apparent from not only the leaked details but also the reviews that this is a bimmer that's fun on the streets, and not the world fighting track car i'm looking for, or that i feel the supra name should be. here's to hoping enough sell to get a proper one released.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
There's a way to make minivans fast too. Doesn't mean that said minivan should be marketed as a pure sports car with one of the most legendary namesakes.

The production model is going to be their "lets just make it 'cool' and sell well, then we can get the bosses to let us make limited edition trims for those who want a better car", and i'm going to wait for that. This version is a lot of good things, but it's apparent from not only the leaked details but also the reviews that this is a bimmer that's fun on the streets, and not the world fighting track car i'm looking for, or that i feel the supra name should be. here's to hoping enough sell to get a proper one released.

If you're looking for a world fighting track car, why are you looking at a supra? Not everyone thinks of Supras by their Fast and Furious definition.

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you're looking for a world fighting track car, why are you looking at a supra? Not everyone thinks of Supras by their Fast and Furious definition.
Fast and furious definition eh? I owned a TT A80, among several other world fighting track cars. And, the A80 in a square tire setup was absolutely a world competitor on the track. I made the mistake of getting a targa, and as such it lacked the rigidity I needed, but it was a world class car by any definition. Perhaps not everyone thinks of the Supra as an 86 on steroids? And perhaps some look for a pure sports car from a moniker that has historically represented uncompromised sports cars, not rebadged luxocruisers.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Fast and furious definition eh? I owned a TT A80, among several other world fighting track cars. And, the A80 in a square tire setup was absolutely a world competitor on the track. I made the mistake of getting a targa, and as such it lacked the rigidity I needed, but it was a world class car by any definition. Perhaps not everyone thinks of the Supra as an 86 on steroids? And perhaps some look for a pure sports car from a moniker that has historically represented uncompromised sports cars, not rebadged luxocruisers.
And what did you have to do to it to perform like that?

A sports grand tourer isn't a world class track star or an 86 on steroids, it is meant for the road, which is why 90% of the testing was performed on the streets and not the track.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
You're forgetting that there was a pretty meh non-turbo Supra available below your world fighting track car. Yes, no one wants to wait for the better model to become available, but it is what it is.

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
And what did you have to do to it to perform like that?

A sports grand tourer isn't a world class track star or an 86 on steroids, it is meant for the road, which is why 90% of the testing was performed on the streets and not the track.
which is precisely why i stated i'm waiting for a track variant, which i feel is the proper supra? not sure why you're getting so butthurt over the reality that some folks are waiting on different versions? Especially since the Supra was never initially intended to be a GT car

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
which is precisely why i stated i'm waiting for a track variant, which i feel is the proper supra? not sure why you're getting so butthurt over the reality that some folks are waiting on different versions? Especially since the Supra was never initially intended to be a GT car
This is my entire argument. The supra has always been a GT, with the mk4 also adding sports car to the definition.

Edit: I just saw your edited comment about sound through the speakers. Without that sound, EU spec cars wouldn't hear much at all. While I agree it's dumb, it takes 10 minutes to unplug the connector and an hour to install your cat back of choice

Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

FWIW, there was one reviewer that specifically said that it did not have artificial sound augmentation and another that explicitly said it did. So to be fair, I'm not really sure what to believe on that. Typically though, Toyota has been a fan in intake resonator tubes for sound enhancement, which is perfectly fine in my book as its the same way they made the LFA sound the way it does.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Read this again. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2020-toyota-supra-prototype-drive

" It wasn't loud enough (the European models are downright quiet), and he wanted to get more sound to tickle the heartstrings. Concessions were made, and Toyota got its way. Sport mode opens a butterfly valve in the exhaust, and there is, unfortunately, some faux noise pumped through the stereo. European pass-by-noise standards are tough, but we're told the U.S. market will get a louder exhaust than the one on the cars we drove."

I forgot which review it was but the Assistant engineer eyes widen up about the USA spec and said, big noise, very loud and was grinning so let's see.

Sort of like how the Eu Spec had a filter to cut the power. Take what we have here with an idea of how it drives, but the US might be getting the good car this time compared to the rest of the world, excluding Japan.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.