Self tuning

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
In a previous life, I might have tuned a lot of cars. Particularly cars that had engine names that started with 4G and 4B. Add some EA888 and Ecoboost engines for variety. From street cars and track cars to winning time attack/autox/hill climb cars.

So of course, after a full year of tracking my 2020 Supra with OEM power, I will now be tuning it to make more power. Of course, I am making it more interesting as I just installed an upgraded turbo. I will tune this for circuit track use so it won't win any internet power bro kudos but whatever.

I haven't found many, if any, supra owners that are also self tuning their cars so I decided to start this thread to chronicle my own tuning escapades, and anyone else that wants to join me. :)

Currently Bootmod3 is the only solution that offers self tuning so that is what i will be using.

So it begins, I will be updating this thread with my progress...

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 5.44.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 5.37.50 PM.png
Sponsored

unaimed1337

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
mx5 NC Turbo, 2021 Supra
That's awesome! Does it give you access to the stock maps for Normal/Sport/Sport Plus?

I wonder if this can end the debate whether Sport Plus is actually different map from Sport or not.

OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Aha! Thanks, I didn't see it.
Apart from throttle mapping, can you see a different timing table or target lambda between the sport and sport plus modes?
Nope. I don't think Sport Plus is mapped out well in the Supra ROM(s) as it isn't an actual feature of the car.

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 12.51.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 12.52.05 PM.png

There is a Sport Plus table for burble duration that is set higher than Sport, but it's only used at idle and neutral.

OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Alright, had a couple days with clear streets and higher temps coming out of winter.

I'm currently at 130whp over stock on 93 octane at 19psi and some conservative timing. The car feels great but there is more to go. I'm having a little issue with something bringing down my load/torque targets that I am currently investigating. Really excited to get this thing back on the track soon!

I also brought down the throttle mapping as I found it WAYYYY too touchy with the oem values. It's so much better now, feels more linear. Much easier throttle control now.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 8.15.27 PM.png

itspeat

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G20, C7 Vette, A90
Which turbo did you install? With doing so, did you mess around with the backpressure table, base boost pressure, compressor characteristic tables, p-gain, P/I ceiling tables, etc? I've tuned some NA Gen V engines but I'm not even sure where to begin with all of these tables and how to hone in on reasonable values after changing the turbo. I guess it also effectively changes the VE of the engine/cylinder filling on top of the tables under the Boost section of BM3.

Any insight or direction of where to go to learn more would be appreciated, I don't know if HP Academy's Practical Remapping class will really answer these questions before spending the $ on it.

OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Which turbo did you install? With doing so, did you mess around with the backpressure table, base boost pressure, compressor characteristic tables, p-gain, P/I ceiling tables, etc? I've tuned some NA Gen V engines but I'm not even sure where to begin with all of these tables and how to hone in on reasonable values after changing the turbo. I guess it also effectively changes the VE of the engine/cylinder filling on top of the tables under the Boost section of BM3.

Any insight or direction of where to go to learn more would be appreciated, I don't know if HP Academy's Practical Remapping class will really answer these questions before spending the $ on it.
Pure700 turbo. Yes, I have tuned those tables.

This is a nice PDF that helped me get up to speed.

Attachments

itspeat

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G20, C7 Vette, A90
Thank you for sharing this. It is extremely helpful.

OP
OP
razorlab

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Thank you for sharing this. It is extremely helpful.
Glad it helped! Iā€™ll also be adding more to this thread with my experience tuning my Supra. The weather has been a little roller coaster so far so I havenā€™t been able to log every day.

Maffyou

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm coming from a 2JZ with a standalone that I tuned myself and am looking to do the same with the B58. I have it on bm3, but was intimidated when opening the map editor. It's a whole different strategy than 2JZ! That PDF is very useful! I'm interested in learning more about the diy flex kit too.

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
Thanks for the info!

Just an FYI from your first post. ECUTEK also allows for self tuning, it's just that most folks don't buy the USB dongle and it requires a laptop. I used to tune my BRZ like this and hope to do the same with my MT if ECUTEK decides to support the new ECUs. Would prefer to avoid going through the hassle of selling what I have to then get the BM3 hardware.
Sponsored