Strut/knuckle slip?

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Hey all,

I’m very much a noob when it comes to car engineering/mechanics but am trying to learn as much as I can via here and doing things myself.

Last year I replaced my springs with HKS adjustable lowering springs. This involves removing the strut from the knuckle so the spring perch can be replaced.

Anyways, long story short, it looks like the strut may have slipped lower into the knuckle after a few months of driving? I’ve attached a photo from November compared to now.

Is this tiny amount of slippage, if any, something worry about? I live in Michigan with bad roads.. perhaps it settles into its correct spot?

CE340AAA-281F-4E12-BF27-D38E40801FF3.jpeg
Sponsored

Baldmonkey22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
if the strut is further down, then you never fully seated it when you put the strut back in.

Also did u torque the pinch bolt to factory specs?

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Tecnically you didn't need to pull the whole strut off. I've done multiple spring installs including HKS adjustables, you just remove the strut top hat and strut sway link and it should have enough clearance to barely fit thru the fenderliner. I never compromised the OEM strut seating from the knuckle doing that. All the Supras i've done like that are still running around perfectly fine til' this day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OneTimeAccount

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
if the strut is further down, then you never fully seated it when you put the strut back in.

Also did u torque the pinch bolt to factory specs?
I was careful when seating it back in the knuckle and torqued it to spec. Thought I did everything correctly so that’s why I’m questioning it and hoping it isn’t pothole damage or something. I’ve hit some for sure, but nothing back breaking or teeth shattering. No flats or bent rims.

Tecnically you didn't need to pull the whole strut off. I've done multiple spring installs including HKS adjustables, you just remove the strut link and it should have enough clearance to barely fit thru the fenderliner. I never compromised the OEM strut seating from the knuckle doing that. All the Supras i've done like that are still running around perfectly fine til' this day.
I was following instructions. It’s how they said to install them. Good to know if I ever need to do anything like that again, so thank you, but it’s too late now lol.

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
It looks like the November picture is taken of the Right "Passenger" side and the now picture is of the Left "Driver" side. Can you confirm that to make sure we comparing the same sides?

Your struts are most likely seated into the knuckles at this point. Perhaps inspect and measure both sides are the same and re-torque the pinch bolts to 41 ft·lbs (+90° turn) and you should be good.

1648225220665.png

1648225311044.png

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I'm struggling to see any difference in the flange gaps on these photos in the first place

OP
OP
OneTimeAccount

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It looks like the November picture is taken of the Right "Passenger" side and the now picture is of the Left "Driver" side. Can you confirm that to make sure we comparing the same sides?

Your struts are most likely seated into the knuckles at this point. Perhaps inspect and measure both sides are the same and re-torque the pinch bolts to 41 ft·lbs (+90° turn) and you should be good.

1648225220665.png

1648225311044.png
You’re right about the photo, I attached the wrong ones. This is the same side (drivers side) but looking at it from opposite sides. It looks pretty close in my opinion and doesn’t show any damage from the top when I removed the wheel for further inspection. So I doubt it’s causing any weird feelings. Appreciate the help.

I am getting some tramlining but I’m sure it’s because the aggressive camber I’m running. The steering wheel also moves a bit when going over some bumps, but also most likely due to the aggressive camber and the wheels following the curvature of the road.
Sponsored

Attachments