Supra vs 18 wheeler

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Sorry to hear about your incident. I don't typically endorse a lot of companies but this is the exception, especially with insurance companies screwing over so many people. I'd make sure to give Collision Safety Consultants a call (they are a local NC company) to talk to them about diminished value on your vehicle now that it's going to have a collision tied to the VIN. They will go after the insurance company and ensure you not only get what you are owed to fix the vehicle with OEM parts but also the diminished value as well. I think they charge a fair fee for their services ($600?) with most people netting thousands more than what it costs to hire them. Don't take the insurance companies word for it. Website -> http://collisionsafetyconsultants.com/
Sponsored

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
If you ever been there, it is the merger of 74 and I85. I was in my lane and I was going by truck, like I said in 13.
I totally get it and I often pass them on the right too. The only reason I asked and I really hope this doesn’t become an issue for you but I could see a possibility the trucking company’s insurer may try to deny liability because passing on the right is illegal.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Sorry to hear about your incident. I don't typically endorse a lot of companies but this is the exception, especially with insurance companies screwing over so many people. I'd make sure to give Collision Safety Consultants a call (they are a local NC company) to talk to them about diminished value on your vehicle now that it's going to have a collision tied to the VIN. They will go after the insurance company and ensure you not only get what you are owed to fix the vehicle with OEM parts but also the diminished value as well. I think they charge a fair fee for their services ($600?) with most people netting thousands more than what it costs to hire them. Don't take the insurance companies word for it. Website -> http://collisionsafetyconsultants.com/
I’ll second this. I recently used them for a diminished value appraisal that I used to negotiate a $5800 diminished value settlement with Erie Insurance. Didn’t involve my Supra fortunately but was my daughter’s 2019 F-150. Fortunately the other driver was at fault. Can’t claim diminished value if you are determined to be at fault.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I’ll second this. I recently used them for a diminished value appraisal that I used to negotiate a $5800 diminished value settlement with Erie Insurance. Didn’t involve my Supra fortunately but was my daughter’s 2019 F-150. Fortunately the other driver was at fault. Can’t claim diminished value if you are determined to be at fault.
Almost forgot. To clarify, they do not represent you or deal with the insurance company. You have to do that. Or, if necessary, hire an attorney to do it. Rather, they provide you with a really professional and in-depth diminished value appraisal to use in negotiating a settlement. I handled it myself and having that resource made negotiating a fair settlement very easy.

Afterburn 549

First Name
stan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR 3.0
Passing on the right of a truck is a gambler's move.
The driver has blind spots,which means at some points he just can't see you.
Some trucks (and drivers ) are worse then others.
The driver has to remember what vehicles are there, as you trespass up beside him on his right side.
Usually about mid ships (near fuel tanks ) you are just not visible in some trucks .
If he forgot or you came flying up there and were not seen....no matter who was / is at fault, you are the one that gets wrecked.
Do you feel lucky?
On a long nose (long hood) a car will disappear in front of the truck.
Dont hang there either, as you can VERY EZ get run over.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Sorry to see OP. 😱 Hope you get that fixed soon!

conFUcius-Says

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 45th Anniversary Mikan Blast
I totally get it and I often pass them on the right too. The only reason I asked and I really hope this doesn’t become an issue for you but I could see a possibility the trucking company’s insurer may try to deny liability because passing on the right is illegal.
It’s allowed in NC depending on the situation:

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-150.1.pdf

Based on the pics and what OP described, he was fine to pass on the R.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
It’s allowed in NC depending on the situation:

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-150.1.pdf

Based on the pics and what OP described, he was fine to pass on the R.
Hopefully you are correct. However, interstate highways are considered limited access highways which is not listed in any of the descriptions of when passing on the right is allowed. By saying it is allowed only in the following situations and then not including limited access highways seems to indicate it is not allowed to pass on the right on an interstate highway.
I could be wrong and hope I am or that it won’t be an issue for the OP. However, there is always sufficient width on an interstate and there will never be parked cars in the right lane of an interstate. I have a feeling that State code section doesn’t apply to limited access interstate highways.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I was in the right lane. I was about to pass by him and he came into my lane. He clipped my back corner and spun me.
Yeah you were in his blind spot then.

There's a reason some semi's have signs on the back that say "left side, passing side" " right side, suicide".
DcnzNIpX4AId9pC.jpg

Last edited:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Can't wait for fully autonomous trucks driven by AI
They'll only deliver things over night.
9pm to 5am
Imagine never seeing an 18 wheeler anywhere on the roads during the day
Never gonna happen. Too much freight to only drive at night. And only the largest companies will use autonomous trucks.

Reactions: zrk

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Passing on the right of a truck is a gambler's move.
The driver has blind spots,which means at some points he just can't see you.
Some trucks (and drivers ) are worse then others.
The driver has to remember what vehicles are there, as you trespass up beside him on his right side.
Usually about mid ships (near fuel tanks ) you are just not visible in some trucks .
If he forgot or you came flying up there and were not seen....no matter who was / is at fault, you are the one that gets wrecked.
Do you feel lucky?
On a long nose (long hood) a car will disappear in front of the truck.
Dont hang there either, as you can VERY EZ get run over.
Good description of why I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to pass on the right on an interstate. Passing is supposed to be done only in the left lane on interstates and when drivers do things that are not expected it can cause serious issues. Combine that with blind spots on the right and it’s a recipe for disaster.
That being said, it’s absolutely amazing and INFURIATING how often I’m forced to pass other drivers, tractor trailers included, on the right because they won’t get out of the fucking passing lane(which is also illegal in almost every state
)

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
But when they stay in the left lane, what choice do we have?

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Yeah you were in his blind spot then.

There's a reason some semi's have signs on the back that say "left side, passing side" " right side, suicide".
DcnzNIpX4AId9pC.jpg
Except in Texas, they fuckin drive in the left lane going 25 under the speed limit. Or, both lanes directly next to eachother for exactly 9 million miles.
Sponsored