The Development Story of the MKV Supra

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not saying the LC500 is a competitor to anything in the MKV’s category, actually I don’t even know where the LC500 sits in the automotive spectrum. All I said was that had Toyota used the LC500 platform (obviously making it lighter, more powerful turbo engine, and stiffer) it would have cost close to six figures. It’s double wishbone suspension tuned for a lighter and more powerful car would make for a great handling car.

The MKV is a badass car, and anyone would be obtuse to think otherwise.
Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
I’m not saying the LC500 is a competitor to anything in the MKV’s category, actually I don’t even know where the LC500 sits in the automotive spectrum.
It's a really fancy automatic Mustang GT Premium with an even more useless backseat.

I think it's main rival currently would be the BMW M8. It's about the same weight/size and performance, but the LC is a bit cheaper than the M8. Notably, the M8 came out after the LC.

I'm sure some people cross shop it with a 911 as well, but that feels like an entirely different kind of car to me.

You could make an argument for the Vantage and AMG GT, but those are/were both two seaters that are in between our Supras and the LC500/M8 in size. The new 2024 AMG GT is adding a back seat though (I'm ignoring the four door car here, strictly talking about the new 2+2 coupe.) It's also growing to a healthy 4300 pounds, nearly identical to the LC and M8.

Then there's the Bentley Continental GT, but that's wayyy more expensive.

Regardless, a Toyota version of the LC500 with Supra slapped on it would be a much different, bigger car than the one we got unless they were able to squeeze the platform down and move the hard points, which seems unlikely. I like the chassis that we got.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I’m not saying the LC500 is a competitor to anything in the MKV’s category, actually I don’t even know where the LC500 sits in the automotive spectrum. All I said was that had Toyota used the LC500 platform (obviously making it lighter, more powerful turbo engine, and stiffer) it would have cost close to six figures. It’s double wishbone suspension tuned for a lighter and more powerful car would make for a great handling car.

The MKV is a badass car, and anyone would be obtuse to think otherwise.
I rented a 2018 LC500, a few years ago, and then rented a Jaguar F-type. They are very similar in quietness, ride, handling and cost when new (at the high trim level of Jag).
I think that if I were much wealthier and had more garage space, I'd even consider the LC500h which gets superior fuel mileage in the city. Of course, the Supra and MX5 would be used more often on nice days.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
/QUOTE]Concept (low rank)
I rented a 2018 LC500, a few years ago, and then rented a Jaguar F-type. They are very similar in quietness, ride, handling and cost when new (at the high trim level of Jag).
I think that if I were much wealthier and had more garage space, I'd even consider the LC500h which gets superior fuel mileage in the city. Of course, the Supra and MX5 would be used more often on nice days.
[/QUOTE]

I had an orchid once. was really beautiful. They take a lot of effort, if I had more time I would spend more time and possibly grow several.

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
Imo LC500's engine is pretty good, and ofc a nice interior, however it's not much more than a pretty looking big sedan with 2 doors, the fact that it is based on the GA-L platform, which is shared with older JDM Crown (not the new EV), Lexus LS and Toyota Mirai. I think they made great use of it as a grand tourer but that platform can never be altered to be a proper sportscar, because everything underneath is simply too big and heavy meant for a car that is at least 500kg heavier.

Current Toyota platforms are more like VW pre-MQB platforms (PQxx and old PLxx), a full-chassis based platform sharing, can't change the footprint and design purpose much. Whereas CLAR (LK) used in the Supra is more like MQB Evo platform, a sub assembly based platform sharing method, giving it much more range of flexibility with parts and dimensions without much compromise.

The current Supra is the most aggressive out of all generations in terms of focusing on performance and handling (class leading shall we say) reflected by the laptimes it can do with low 400's horsepower, and went as far as being the first one with only 2 seats, keep in mind Toyota could've made it a 4 seat as both Z4 and 2 series are on the same LK platform.

MK4 had ok skidpad results back then in the US but it was using quite the tire back then, actual handling was fine for the time but FD and NSX are both cars that are much lighter on the toes. As a stock car compared to the current supra it's a much less aggressive sportscar proposition but imo a spot-on 2+2 GT coupe. Same applies to the MK3 and MK2. So where does the Supra lineage want to go from the MK5 is what will define the chassis it's likely to use, BMW has more sportscar capable platforms, Lexus can make a good GT platform.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Y’all have way more insight than me. I don’t know why it works but it does. In fact really well. And at a price undercutting BMW 🤫 🤐 I wonder if BMW feels like Toyota got the better of that deal?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a46587249/2025-bmw-z4-m40i-manual-specs
IMO, BMW got the better deal long term getting access to the hydrogen powertrain technology Toyota spent R&D on. Alternative fuels are still low on consumer adoption but for industry use cases (fleet, buses, airport, intra-plant, rail to truck , etc.) the investment in hydrogen is probably better long term than BEV.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Maybe, maybe not. The energy vector transition of hydrogen fuel cell is absolutely terrible. The loss in energy in all the stages from production to driving wheels is over 60%.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Maybe, maybe not. The energy vector transition of hydrogen fuel cell is absolutely terrible. The loss in energy in all the stages from production to driving wheels is over 60%.
Damn that sucks! Better than solar I’d hope. That would be such an incredible source and byproduct.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
But you can drink the byproduct and make Greta happy 😊

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
why/how is the LC500 4400lbs???

13.2@111mph?

lmao. Does it even fit golf clubs?
I'd have to say, yes. Also, It and the F-Type jag handle well for heavyweight cars. Of course, they are not anything close to a track car.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I'd have to say, yes. Also, It and the F-Type jag handle well for heavyweight cars. Of course, they are not anything close to a track car.
F-Type is lighter than a M3. 700lbs lighter than this poser LC500.

F-Type is 1.00g. LC500 is a laughable .88g

F-Type is a real sports car.
Sponsored